WP43 News

This area is for discussion about these families of custom high-end Scientific Calculator applications for SwissMicros devices.
Walter

Re: 43S News

Post by Walter »

Today, 2022-5-25, we offer you release 0.22.5 here https://gitlab.com/Over_score/wp43s/-/releases.
  • The 4 graphic commands (CLLCD, AGRAPH, PIXEL, and POINT) are implemented. Check the Reference Manual for deviations to HP-42S.
  • We labeled the menu keys for easier reference.

Both manuals were updated accordingly (CPXSLV of 0.22.4 must be documented still).

Included in the release package is everything you may want to try, test, and check the 43S on your computer or your DM42. Please look into the Reference Manual, App. E and F for how to do this. Find in said manual also which (few) functions don't work yet.

Enjoy!

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask early. And if you discover anything suboptimal, please report. There are certainly some issues - who finds one unknown yet will get 6 test points.
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041
ManuMa

Post by ManuMa »

Hi,
If you perform STO23, and you keep the 3 pressed, the display doesn't fall back to NOP after 1 second.
The same happens with almost every function inside a menu.
I tried with functions inside the CLR menu, and same thing. Even CLX has the same behaviour if called from the backarrow key (once the number is closed).(YES, I read the note 238, pag 306 OM.)
Same thing with functions inside MATX, CLK, TRI menu, etc, etc, etc.
Any function not displaying a preview on the T numeric row, and many displaying it, lack the NOP feature.

Regards,
Manuel.
Walter

Post by Walter »

ManuMa wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 3:02 pm
If you perform STO23, and you keep the 3 pressed, the display doesn't fall back to NOP after 1 second.
Confirmed. But if you doubt earlier, STO will fall back to NOP.
ManuMa wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 3:02 pm
The same happens with almost every function inside a menu.
I tried with functions inside the CLR menu, and same thing. Even CLX has the same behaviour if called from the backarrow key (once the number is closed).(YES, I read the note 238, pag 306 OM.)
Same thing with functions inside MATX, CLK, TRI menu, etc, etc, etc.
Any function not displaying a preview on the T numeric row, and many displaying it, lack the NOP feature.
I hope it happens with every function called from a menu. Footnote 238 was incomplete, it should read instead:
Fallback.png
Fallback.png (7.38 KiB) Viewed 1878 times
Thanks, Manuel, for finding this omission. The functionality was and is, however, stated on p. B-8 in the Background Considerations in the ReM, along with some reasoning. If you find any non-menu functions not falling back before you entered parameters, please tell.

EDIT (2022-5-26): The reason for preview and fallback is to allow for checking reassigned functions else invisible. Such a function can only happen on a physical key - unshifted or shifted. Menu functions, OTOH, are always visible; so there's no reason for fallback on menu functions. Parameterized functions appear on T numeric row always before you can enter their parameters; you should, of course, check the display before blindly keying in any parameter - but even then you can cancel the function via [EXIT].
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041
jwiede

Post by jwiede »

Walter wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 7:19 pm
Menu functions, OTOH, are always visible; so there's no reason for fallback on menu functions.
Despite being visible, I believe there are even menu functions where fallback is valuable: The clear menu functions are great examples -- as "destructive" operations, offering users "a way out" even pressing the button can help prevent time-costly mistakes.
DM42, DM16L, and a menagerie of HPs thanks to CAS (Calc Acq Syndrome)!
Walter

Post by Walter »

jwiede wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 11:57 pm
Despite being visible, I believe there are even menu functions where fallback is valuable: The clear menu functions are great examples -- as "destructive" operations, offering users "a way out" even pressing the button can help prevent time-costly mistakes.
Yes in principle but...
  1. the really destructive operations require your explicit confirmation for deleting. Please see the Owner's Manual, p. 55.
  2. clearing on the stack can be undone by ... UNDO (surprise!). UNDO will also repair every other user error there.
Well, and if you inadvertently confirmed such a really destructive operation, I bet you'll be more attentive next time.

For generation Windows: We ask for your confirmation only once per command - if we ask at all. 8-)
BINUBALL

Post by BINUBALL »

I've found one issue while playing with new 0.22.5 windows simulator.

Be sure you are in program mode, insert RCL, STO or VIEW which can take VAR submenu. Press VAR. If you have only one page VAR, try to press ▲ and ▼. Program step goes up and down.
Simple steps to reproduce it: GTO .. P/R ENTER↑ ENTER↑ ENTER↑ RCL VAR ▲ ▲ (RCL __ moves)

Tested with previous version simulator too. At least 0.22.0 has similar behavior.
S.Korean / HP-50G | fx-570EX | fx-570CW | HP-200LX
Walter

Post by Walter »

Looks like there are only 20 commands missing still - in total. Plus some fine tuning. The end is near!
gmac42

Post by gmac42 »

That sounds great!
Are there any news on the hardware side of things?
Judging by the recent information about the DM32, there is probably not much hope to get our hands on any new devices before the end of the year, and I expect SwissMicros will first build a bunch of DM32s before they'll have free capacities for the WP43S.
DM41X #542, DM42 #650, DM41L #801, HP 41CX, HP 41CV, HP 50G, HP11C, TI 89
Bill K. - USA

Post by Bill K. - USA »

Walter wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 2:27 pm
Looks like there are only 20 commands missing still - in total. Plus some fine tuning. The end is near!
That's great news! Thank you for all the hard work.

Programming mode is up and working too?--cool. (I remember reading that some six months ago almost nothing was implemented for it: that's swift progress!)

BTW, I've downloaded the template and find the text a bit "densely packed", although I gather you've considered many possibilities for the layout and labels.
  • IMO the underlines add to this visual overload: might they be eliminated? (The HP-42S had something similar, but the gray rectangular background fields were done away with on the DM42.)
  • And have you considered possibly using lower-case text for the labels?--lower case letters take less space and are to my thinking easier to read. (The HP Prime and TI-nspire both use lower case lettering.)
Walter

Post by Walter »

Yes, programming mode is up an working - the (adventure) playground is wide open and we didn't receive any bug reports in this matter for quite a while. Which doesn't mean there can be no bugs anymore ... we just don't know any.

About the layout:
As I've read elsewhere recently:
Different strokes for different folks. Some of us don't want to deal with menus, some of us don't want to deal with busy faceplates, each of those being exacerbated when not using it as main or single calculator.
I think underlining is a clear way of distinguishing menus from the rest; it doesn't cost an extra colour. Feel free to suggest a different solution, please.

We use lower case labels, too. We have our criteria where we use them - you'll find out easily. Please see the template. We don't use them all over since a) they are generally smaller and reading will become harder this way, b) many commands were introduced as upper case many years ago, and c) a random mix of upper and lower case labels would look ... ummh ... random. YMMV, of course.