Shipping Delays

General discussion about calculators, SwissMicros or otherwise
wgr

Shipping Delays

Post by wgr »

I purchased a DM 32 on 4 Jan 2024 that was declared shipped on 8 Jan. The shipping tracker said it arrived in country (Canada) on 23 Jan.

There is no tracking in this country. I used the default inexpensive shipping method.

Back in 2015 I purchased a DM 15 Silver Edition. It arrived in less than two weeks according to my records.

I am seriously wondering if the DM 32 has been lost in transit. It has been 4 weeks. I have no way of checking on its progress.

Can anyone advise me on how long I should expect it to take or what I should do if it just doesn't show up after months of waiting?

-Will
HP 15C 16C 12C ; HP 33S ; HP 48SX 48gII 50g ; DM15
DM32 ; HP 32E 35S lost/stolen ; TI 30 58C several others
Walter

Re: Shipping Delays

Post by Walter »

Postal service is reliable in Canada, isn't it?
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041
wgr

Post by wgr »

I just picture a character like Newman from the old Seinfeld series somehow diverting my package. ;)

Maybe this is just Canada Sloth\b\b\b\b\bPost doing its thing.

Since there is no tracking, I just have to wait until it shows up or a sufficiently large timeout expires before I conclude whether it got through.

As far as shipping options go, I would prefer an option to track all the way through, with or without fast delivery.

-Will
BruceH

Post by BruceH »

wgr wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:01 am
I purchased a DM 32 on 4 Jan 2024 that was declared shipped on 8 Jan. The shipping tracker said it arrived in country (Canada) on 23 Jan.

There is no tracking in this country. I used the default inexpensive shipping method.
Have you tried going to the post office and asking? Take the shipping tracker notification with you - just because tracking wasn't paid for doesn't mean they aren't actually able to track it.
Back in 2015 I purchased a DM 15 Silver Edition. It arrived in less than two weeks according to my records.

I am seriously wondering if the DM 32 has been lost in transit. It has been 4 weeks. I have no way of checking on its progress.

Can anyone advise me on how long I should expect it to take or what I should do if it just doesn't show up after months of waiting?
If you paid by credit card then you can probably claim from them. Since you have some tracking info you can tell them that it has been lost by the post office.
wgr

Post by wgr »

BruceH wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:13 pm

Have you tried going to the post office and asking? Take the shipping tracker notification with you - just because tracking wasn't paid for doesn't mean they aren't actually able to track it.

Thanks for chipping in.
Actually, the shipping email from SwissMicros came with a tracking ID. It worked as long as the item was in Europe. However, the id is not known to Canada Post. It just wasn't arranged that way, although SwissMicros gave me a Canada Post link with that ID plugged in.

When I saw that the id was not known to Canada Post, I phoned them. I was told it is a European ID and their shipping was not arranged with tracking at the Canadian end -- although it could have been.

I mentioned my address and asked if they could find anything scheduled to be shipped there. They said they cannot do that. I.e. I cannot give them a shipping address and find out from them whether they have a parcel for that location. (Probably that's a security issue.)

. . .
If you paid by credit card then you can probably claim from them. Since you have some tracking info you can tell them that it has been lost by the post office.
I suppose I'll have to wait another week or so and try that: try to get a refund one way or another.

-Will
BruceH

Post by BruceH »

Don't phone them - go to the post office/delivery office as I said. The person on the phone is not going to give you tracking for free and doesn't care who you are. The person at the post office will have to deliver the package, sooner or later, so it's in their interest to do it sooner before escalations start and they have to fill in paperwork saying it never got to them.

The tracking id is not a "European id" - it is a Universal Postal Union id. Canada Post are perfectly able to track UPU ids - you just need to find someone willing to do it. As I said, they don't want to give tracking for free.

Just go to the post office, show them the tracking thing that says it reached Canada and ask them when you can expect it. Put them on the spot.
wgr

Post by wgr »

BruceH wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 3:47 pm
Just go to the post office, show them the tracking thing that says it reached Canada and ask them when you can expect it. Put them on the spot.
Thank you for the suggestion.

I went to "the" post office -- meaning a location near me. I was not able to put anyone on the spot, but someone was nice enough to look up both the id and my address. I am in the 4th largest city by population in North America, not a little village. (*)

In any case, the tracking id is not in Canada Post's database. It doesn't matter how many people I bug. I actually also drove to the South Central Letter Processing Plant on Eastern Avenue. People there were also impervious to being bugged about my tracking number.

It was suggested that I should try to track this from the other end. Who was the original carrier on the European side where the package was sent from, and can they supply me with a tracking number that was given to Canada Post when the package was handed off?

The email from SwissMicros gives the same tracking number for Canada Post as it does for the original shipment. It does not help. Canada Post doesn't know this number. It is not in their database. It is as if they never saw the item.

Unless someone at SwissMicros can give me better tracking information, I am just plain stuck.

I regret placing the order. This was supposed to be a fun little toy to distract me from other problems -- an extra all-rounder with a nice keyboard. It has become a headache. It is just expensive enough to be very annoying. Like sending a piece of jewellery in the mail.

(*) Wikipedia reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_N ... population
Toronto is number 4, behind Mexico City, NYC, and LA, but ahead of Chicago.

-Will
wgr

Post by wgr »

EXCELLENT NEWS!!!

The DM32 showed up!

I retract what I said before about regrets. It is an outstanding device!

I have a partial explanation about the shipping delay: a funny lime-coloured sticker on the shipping box says this:

"OPENED BY CBSA"

I wonder if they appreciated RPN when they inspected it. :-)

-Will