What is the next planned hardware release?

General discussion about calculators, SwissMicros or otherwise
jtucker

What is the next planned hardware release?

Post by jtucker »

It (to me at least) is a little confusing trying to keep up with HW threads. What is the next planned calculator release from SM? C43, C47 or other?

Thanks in advance.
rprosperi

Re: What is the next planned hardware release?

Post by rprosperi »

jtucker wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:47 pm
It (to me at least) is a little confusing trying to keep up with HW threads. What is the next planned calculator release from SM? C43, C47 or other?

Thanks in advance.
There are currently no planned calculator model releases past the DM32. This does not mean there will be no more, simply that none are planned at this time.

The WP43 will not be released by SM, however you can make one yourself using a DM42 and some printed overlays and key-label stickers.

You can similarly make a C47 (or C43) yourself using a DM42 and a not-yet-available (but coming soon - months, not days) replacement bezel/overlay, Key-label stickers are not needed for these as they both use keys labeled the same as the DM42.

At some future date, once one of these f/w is completed and stable, and significant demand accrues, it is not impossible that such a machine could be introduced, but it seems unlikely since users can easily assemble one from existing available DM42 machines and users of these models are virtually all savvy enough to assemble their own.

I hope this clarifies things for you.
--bob p

DM42: β00071 & 00282, DM41X: β00071 & 00656, DM10L: 071/100
Walter

Post by Walter »

Let's not forget that SwissMicros has produced the WP43 pilot batch - tools for printing keys, bezel, and glass are available (should be at least), the program for laser engraving its rear side as well. Thus, resuming such work will be technically easy. The rest is only software.
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041
Bill K. - USA

Post by Bill K. - USA »

rprosperi wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:21 pm
At some future date, once one of these f/w is completed and stable, and significant demand accrues, it is not impossible that such a machine could be introduced, but it seems unlikely since users can easily assemble one from existing available DM42 machines and users of these models are virtually all savvy enough to assemble their own.
The DM32 platform is twice as fast and has twice the memory as the DM42 platform.

Now for some questions leading to rank speculation . . .

At some point, the current stock of DM42s will be exhausted (I have no idea how far into the future that might be). When this happens . . .
(a) is it likely that future DM42s will be based on the newer hardware?
(b) if yes, will the C47/WP43 programs run without modification on the newer hardware?
(c) if yes and yes, will the C47/WP43 lines then seek to take advantage of the increased memory space?
Last edited by Bill K. - USA on Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
sgleysti

Post by sgleysti »

Per this post by Bob: viewtopic.php?p=27125#p27125, credit card sized models with upgraded hardware are in the works. No release date published yet.
Jaymos

Post by Jaymos »

Bill K. - USA wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:08 am
rprosperi wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:21 pm
The DM32 platform is twice as fast and has twice the memory as the DM42 platform.

Now for some questions leading to rank speculation . . .

At some point, the current stock of DM42s will be exhausted (I have no idea how far into the future that might be). When this happens . . .
(b) if yes, will the C47/WP43 programs run without modification on the newer hardware?
(c) if yes and yes, will the C47/WP43 lines then seek to take advantage of the increased memory space?

(a) unknown

(b) C47 will not run on the newer hardware without non-trivial development effort from us and without SM publishing the programming interface to DMCP for the new hardware. There is no promised date or obligation for such updated DMCP.

(c) we will certainty want C47 to work on the faster hardware with larger memory. If and when the updated interface becomes available we will take it on.
Jaco Mostert
Elec Eng, South Africa
https://47calc.com C47 (s/n 03818 & 06199), WP43 (0015). In box: HP42S, HP32Sii, WP34S&C, HP28C, HP35s, EL-506P, EL-W506, PB700; ex: FX702P, 11C, HP67 & HP85; iOS: 42s Byron, Free42+, WP31S/34S, HCalc.
WillMarchant

Post by WillMarchant »

sgleysti wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:10 am
Per this post by Bob: viewtopic.php?p=27125#p27125, credit card sized models with upgraded hardware are in the works. No release date published yet.
I was really excited to see that post! I love my DM16 but would instantly order a “conventional keys” version in that form factor.
Bill K. - USA

Post by Bill K. - USA »

Jaymos wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:00 am
Bill K. - USA wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:08 am
(a) unknown

(b) C47 will not run on the newer hardware without non-trivial development effort from us and without SM publishing the programming interface to DMCP for the new hardware. There is no promised date or obligation for such updated DMCP.

(c) we will certainty want C47 to work on the faster hardware with larger memory. If and when the updated interface becomes available we will take it on.
Thank you, Jaco: it's good to understand what the bird's eye view of the situation is.

So a C47 on faster hardware with larger memory is a possibility, but it's a goodly way down the road if it happens. (BTW I don't find the current speed and memory of the DM42/C47 to be a limitation in any way, but as the song goes, "there's no such thing as a car too fast", etc.)
jtucker

Post by jtucker »

Got it...thanks!
sgleysti

Post by sgleysti »

Walter wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:44 pm
Let's not forget that SwissMicros has produced the WP43 pilot batch - tools for printing keys, bezel, and glass are available (should be at least), the program for laser engraving its rear side as well. Thus, resuming such work will be technically easy. The rest is only software.
It seems to involve more than just software, per this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3377