C43/C47 UI and other proposals

This area is for discussion about these families of custom high-end Scientific Calculator applications for SwissMicros devices.
Dani R.

Re: C43 UI and other proposals

Post by Dani R. »

There have been countless discussions and iterations (no, that's not quite true, you could count them) to get an optimised layout. The layout of the C43 leans heavily on the layout of the 42S, so x^2 cannot be moved or deleted. For reasons, g[ 1 /x ] and g[SQRT] are also fixed. This leaves only the position on g[R v].
C47(DM42) SN:00032 WP43 SN:00016
https://47calc.com
Pyjam

Post by Pyjam »

Sorry, I don’t understand.
I expect to find R↑ on g‑R↓, and ˣ√y on g‑√x (not f‑√x).
This does not change the place of x² but of .ms which does not exist on the DM 42.
Also, I expect to find x<>(register) on g‑(x<>y) like on the HP 32SII, but that’s another story.

As I said, I’m new here and I don’t know all the stories about the C43. I just want to learn more.

  Optimot : The ⌥ keyboard layout optimized for French and English (ŵïþ ʃʉŋ 𝕂åʁɒꝃțɛɹṩ).
Dani R.

Post by Dani R. »

In fact, R ^ and the Xth root of Y were not placed in a key position until a later iteration of the discussion about the arrangement of the keys. The reason. These functions are placed in menus.
"a b/c", "#", ".ms" and ".d" are important functions for efficient use of the extended functionality of the C43 family. Yes, it is our hope that more calculators will be available in the future. But "a b/c", "#", ".ms" and ".d" will remain placed directly on a key. Exactly where they are now. None of these functions can be dispensed with here.
As already mentioned, one could also have done without R ^ and the Xth root of Y directly on a key.
Pyjam

Post by Pyjam »

Ok. Thanks.
Anyway…
g+R↑ is 3 keystrokes and R↓ R↓ R↓ is 3 keystrokes too (I’d choose 3×R↓ every time).
g+ˣ√y is 3 keystrokes and ¹⁄ₓ then f+yˣ is 3 keystrokes too.
So, no need too worry. It's just that these placements seem a bit awkward.

  Optimot : The ⌥ keyboard layout optimized for French and English (ŵïþ ʃʉŋ 𝕂åʁɒꝃțɛɹṩ).
Pyjam

Post by Pyjam »

g+R↑ is 3 keystrokes and R↓ R↓ R↓ is 3 keystrokes too (I’d choose 3×R↓ every time).

And for this reason x<> is quite certainly a more useful and more logical choice for g+x<>y.
Isn’t it?
(Sorry for the double post.)

Dani R.

Post by Dani R. »

As mentioned earlier, the Xth root of Y was not originally intended in the specifications as a mandatory function for placement on a key.

By default, the C43 has eRPN and the 8-register stack enabled.
This then requires 7 * R v until R ^ is replaced.