DM17L Concept Idea

General discussion about calculators, SwissMicros or otherwise
Gnimelf

DM17L Concept Idea

Post by Gnimelf »

A very interesting idea

https://youtu.be/FYBLnM5D2KU

It would be even more interesting if it incorporated some of the build, quality, and connectivity enhancements of the DM42 and DM41X.

And don’t forget “pi”
Cheers - Bill Fleming
hpgene

Re: DM17L Concept Idea

Post by hpgene »

It would be compatible with HP-12C programs... except for instructions like yellow f 8 or yellow f 2 to change the display setting.

Have to have a FIX instruction, which this model does not have, to allow decimal settings to be changed. That's the only way the 12C can use the yellow shifted number key locations, since the 12c uses those to change the display setting.

This model does not have the FIX instruction that I can see ? It would need one and 12c programs would have to be modified to run.

FYI - When HP asked what we (users) would like to see in a revised 12c back in 2003, something like this was proposed back at that time. . . including trig functions, a FIX instruction etc.

Sadly, we got Undo and back arrow and algebraic.

Oh well. :-) Still, if SM wishes to build one, I'll sign up!

Great presentation Chuck, just like the one for HHC 2021 !
akaTB

Post by akaTB »

f STO (FSE) toggles through FIX/SCI/ENG with argument in X, albeit I don't understand if you have to provide the # of digits at each toggle...
Greetings,
    Massimo
ajcaton
-+×÷ left is right and right is wrong :twisted: Casted in gold
hpgene

Post by hpgene »

That still would not provide compatibility... if the argument is in X, then the stack would be different on this 17 than it would on the 12c.

That said :-) I don't know how many people who have a 12c really program it and those that do could probably figure out how to modify it.

I was just wanting to make the point that using those lovely empty yellow shifted key positions above the numeric digits would break 12c compatibility without modification.

Again, I would buy a 12c with scientific functions... even with a FIX key.