Propagation of Uncertainty Calculations

Contributions to this software library are always welcome. Please ensure that you post program listings rather than .raw files. They give a reasonable idea of what your program does without having to load them into a DM42 and you can also include comments in your code. Check out the following link for a decoder/encoder: https://technical.swissmicros.com/decoders/dm42/

You can then copy/paste the listing and post it in "code" tags.
richmit

Propagation of Uncertainty Calculations

Post by richmit »

Greetings;

I normally do propagation of uncertainty calculations with Maple; however, I recently found myself at the lab bench while the bench computer was busy with an experiment and my laptop was doing an upgrade. So I coded up a couple computations I needed. Turns out this stuff is handy to have on the calculator, so I fleshed out support for the calculations I'm likely to use: addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, negation, reciprocals, gamma function, natural logs, exponents, and basic circular/hyperbolic trig functions. Here is the link:

https://richmit.github.io/hp42/uprop.html

This code is super new, so be on the lookout for bugs -- In fact, I would appreciate bug reports.

I also updated my repeated measurements application to better support pushing report values to the stack so they can be easily used by UPROP -- I quashed a couple bugs while I was at it. Link:

https://richmit.github.io/hp42/meas.html

-mitch
rprosperi

Re: Propagation of Uncertainty Calculations

Post by rprosperi »

Mitch,

I don't feel qualified to comment on the theory or implementation details you've shared here, but I can say I really like, and am impressed with, your documentation; it's excellent! It's all clear and easy to read, employs excellent use of tables, white-space and colors and makes understanding and using your programs easy and interesting.

The only thing I'd suggest adding is a PDF copy of the full contents of each document page, which can be downloaded and saved. Web pages all eventually go away, but a file can be easily saved, copied, and most importantly, preserved.

Thanks for creating and sharing this with the community! :D
--bob p

DM42: β00071 & 00282, DM41X: β00071 & 00656, DM10L: 071/100
Kibabalu

Post by Kibabalu »

Also many thanks from my side. I'm already using your meas program a lot.

At the moment we are struggling with power and efficiency measurements on our test benches. If it's not an EMC problem, then there's something wrong resp. not fully understood about our measurement chains, either on the mechanical part or the electrical side. I'll try to use your program to support the analyzing. Perfect timing from your side! ;-)
EM41

Post by EM41 »

My uncertainty calculations are probably too simplistic for this, (just a few additions of antennagain calibration, cross polarisation error etc) but this looks absolutely amazing.
I have only the DM41 here at the moment but I will give it a try as soon as possible.
HP41C (2x), HP41CV, HP41CX, DM41X β, DM41X, DM42, HP11C, HP48G, HP97
richmit

Post by richmit »

rprosperi wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 4:13 am
I'd suggest adding is a PDF copy of the full contents of each document
That's a great idea!

Turns out it is harder than I expected to make nice PDFs with org-mode -- it's easy to make super ugly ones! After a bit of trial and error, I have PDFs that I'm not ashamed of. I'm not completely satisfied with them -- no color in code listings, the tables aren't quite right, etc... Still, I think they will be useful.
Walter

Post by Walter »

Any progress in this matter?
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041