LCD burn-in?

If you're having problems with the hardware of a DM41X or DM42, post about them here.
tarom

LCD burn-in?

Post by tarom »

I wonder if there is any bad effect of displaying same off image for a long time. According to Wikipedia, "screen burn-in" also exists for LCDs.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screen_burn-in
grsbanks

Re: LCD burn-in?

Post by grsbanks »

The LCD in the DM42 is comparatively new technology from Sharp called "Memory LCD".

https://www.sharpsma.com/products?sharp ... parallel=0

It's designed for this and actually uses up zero power to maintain the display when the calculator is switched off.
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.
Walter

Post by Walter »

Quote from the Wikipedia page you pointed to:
Plasma displays were at one time highly susceptible to burn-in, while LCD-type displays are generally not affected. ...

In the case of LCDs, the mechanics of burn-in are different than plasma and OLED, which develop burn-in from luminance degradation of the light-emitting pixels. For LCDs, burn-in develops in some cases because pixels permanently lose their ability to return to their relaxed state after a continued static use profile. In most typical usage profiles, this image persistence in LCD is only transient.
Where's the problem?
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041
reavy

Post by reavy »

grsbanks wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:11 am
The LCD in the DM42 is comparatively new technology from Sharp called "Memory LCD".

https://www.sharpsma.com/products?sharp ... parallel=0

It's designed for this and actually uses up zero power to maintain the display when the calculator is switched off.
So is this display technology similar to the e-Ink used in readers like the Kindle and Kobo? Certainly sounds like it. I would be interested to know if anyone knows about differences between e-Ink and this Sharp display tech.
grsbanks

Post by grsbanks »

It's still an LCD and therefore a lot faster than eInk. eInk is a purely reflective technology while LCD technology is still based on varying transparency of pixels on screen.
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.
Thomas Okken

Post by Thomas Okken »

(Deleted by Poster because redundant.)
Last edited by Thomas Okken on Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dlachieze

Post by dlachieze »

reavy wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:44 am
I would be interested to know if anyone knows about differences between e-Ink and this Sharp display tech.
They are two different technologies, e-ink is based on microcapsules including two pigments (black and white) and by applying an external electrical field you move either pigment on the surface of the capsule, then it will stay there and the image is permanent without any need for power. (See: Electronic Ink)

The Sharp display is a LCD display using liquid crystals with a 1 bit data memory in each pixel (Sharp Memory LCD Technology), my understanding is that it still needs an ultra-low amount of power to maintain the image, so if the LCD power source is turned off as it is in the DM42 you may see the image fading away once all remaining power from capacitance is consumed. However it seems that this requires a very long time, more than a couple of weeks as mentioned in this post from Michael.
DM42: 00425 - DM41X: β00066 - WP43: 00042
IonX

Post by IonX »

Hi, found this interesting PDF from sharp regarding the LS027B7DH01 LCD burn in. Its on Page 4, number (3)

Link: https://resources.flexlighting.com/wp-c ... n_2010.pdf

Don't think this will affect much of the LCD, but I've got this OCD issues. So I just set my DM42 to blank.bmp hehehe :D
Walter

Post by Walter »

Not observed yet although my off-images stay there for many hours.
IonX wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:20 am
... I've got this OCD issues.
What did/do you mean here?
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041
jonmoore

Post by jonmoore »

Walter wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:12 am
Not observed yet although my off-images stay there for many hours.
IonX wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:20 am
... I've got this OCD issues.
What did/do you mean here?
https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Obsessive%E ... e_disorder

Therefore, no amount of reassurance is enough.