Battery life

If you're having problems with the hardware of a DM41X or DM42, post about them here.
akaTB

Re: Battery life

Post by akaTB »

groenewe wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:32 am
battery died without using the Dm42 in 13 days..... Aargghgggg!
If you are on the 3.10 / 3.10 firmware... welcome to the club! :(
Greetings,
    Massimo
ajcaton
-+×÷ left is right and right is wrong :twisted: Casted in gold
groenewe

Post by groenewe »

Can not even switch on the check the FW now... So need 1. a new battery, 2. connect it to USB, 3. check FW and then the upgrade process. Something is strange since I did not have this for months and now "suddenly" it eats CR2032 as if it is nothing.
rprosperi

Post by rprosperi »

groenewe wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:38 pm
Can not even switch on the check the FW now... So need 1. a new battery, 2. connect it to USB, 3. check FW and then the upgrade process. Something is strange since I did not have this for months and now "suddenly" it eats CR2032 as if it is nothing.
It should run off USB power, even with dead battery, which should let you verify FW version at least.

Could it be simply a bad battery? has it killed more than 1 totally new battery?
--bob p

DM42: β00071 & 00282, DM41X: β00071 & 00656, DM10L: 071/100
groenewe

Post by groenewe »

I have FW version v3.0 ... moreover and importantly I do not have the option to
flashing process later using "Flash firmware from FAT" either from DM42 program "SETUP → System" or directly from DMCP System menu "Enter System Menu"

so what to do... should I apply the old update process still now? Appreciate your tips as I'm really running out of CR2032 batteries.
grsbanks

Post by grsbanks »

Yes, if you're running a version earlier than 3.5 then you have to update using the legacy method. Only versions 3.5 and later give you the possibility of flashing a .bin file residing on the FAT drive.
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.
groenewe

Post by groenewe »

SOLVED.... pfew.... what a process..... What I now notice is that the date formatting is gone... (lost?) I got the normal formatting back by applying my own calculator state... I guess the menu and settings have changed a lot since last time. Is this now the fix for the battery issue?
groenewe

Post by groenewe »

BATTERY: was nicely on 3.00V during update process etc. Now every 5 minutes going down with 0.01V. Doing nothing. Just switching on and off. No calculation nothing. I guess this is not good. I will buy new different branded batteries, though this is a reputable brand, but assume something is wrong. Right?

I now read one of the posts more correctly. I've upgrade to the latest firmware assuming that this would fix the battery consumption issue. So apparently it does not. I'm on DMCP v3.10 (IFC 03.09)
grsbanks

Post by grsbanks »

There are a few units out in the wild that the fix didn't.. well... fix.

I would advise you to get in touch with michael@swissmicros.com for what to do next.
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.
akaTB

Post by akaTB »

grsbanks wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:04 pm
There are a few units out in the wild that the fix didn't.. well... fix.
In our units there was nothing to fix, and the "fix" actually disrupted them. :(
grsbanks wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:04 pm
I would advise you to get in touch with michael@swissmicros.com for what to do next.
I did, but after an initial ACK with his generic advice to update to the latest firmware (what? that's what was causing the problem) I heard nothing more.
It was only thanks to this forum (and yourself, of course) that I knew that there were others with my same problem (that didn't exist in the first place).

I understand that a fix for a faulty (?) library implementation needs to be published but this is an earlier problem that needs to be fixed for everybody: those who had the problem before and those that have the problem now.
Greetings,
    Massimo
ajcaton
-+×÷ left is right and right is wrong :twisted: Casted in gold
fkunz

Post by fkunz »

Hello,

Is this problem fixed?

I'm asking because I received a new DM42 (serno 4064) shortly and it drains the battery in less than a week :( . I measured the current consumption and this is ~0,5mA in on (idle) as well as in off state. The software is

DCMP v3.13, IFC 03.10

and from the release notes I haven't found any hints to battery life fixes in the latest releases. I tried also v3.12 and v3.11. All of those three show the same problem.

Not sure if that is just a problem of my device, I contacted michael@swissmicros.com a week ago, no response yet, or if that is a general issue.

Does anybody else still have this problem?

Br,
Frank