Broken key

If you're having problems with the hardware of a DM41X or DM42, post about them here.
jvanoort

Broken key

Post by jvanoort »

Hi all,

two weeks ago I received my DM42 and I've been using it on a daily basis. It's a great machine, but yesterday I noticed that the '3/pgm.fcn' key has become wobbly. It feels very unbalanced and presses to the side rather than down.

I unscrewed the case and gently removed the pcb to inspect the keyboard from the other side and found that one of the small 'hinges' of the key is broken.

I emailed SW support about this, as it must have been an weakness in this specific keyboard all along since I haven't dropped it, taken it apart or 'overpressed' the keys. I treated it normally, perhaps even on the careful side of the spectrum.

I'm patiently awaiting their reply, but in the meantime: has this occurred to any of you? Is this a known thing?

Regards,

Jesse
adambennett

Re: Broken key

Post by adambennett »

Oddly enough, after trying all my keys, the same '3/PGM.FCN' key on my new DM42 also feels loose when pressed on the right hand side and flops to the right. No other key does it on mine.
DM42 SN 06811
EM41

Post by EM41 »

I have 3 different keyboards, DM42 second generation, DM41 beta (I think this is first generation) and DM41 last generation (3rd gen clicky one).
None of them have this problem so I guess its just a coincidence.
Are these all versions or are there more ?
My experience is that swiss micros will do a free replacement, they are always busy so it may take a while.
Which version do you have ?
HP41C (2x), HP41CV, HP41CX, DM41X β, DM41X, DM42, HP11C, HP48G, HP97
jvanoort

Post by jvanoort »

Tnx for the replies.

No answer yet from SwissMicros, but it's only been a few days since I contacted them.

I have the latest version or so I believe, as I ordered it just three weeks ago.
jvanoort

Post by jvanoort »

I have now emailed the bunch of them, all three email addresses published on their site + support, but still no reply :?
I understand they're busy, but a quick 'Very busy, sorry, we'll get back to you ASAP' reply would go a long way...
jvanoort

Post by jvanoort »

For those who didn't see my previous post in General: I received a reply from Michael and the issue is resolved. Also, there appeared to be a glitch in their email system one way or another, which contributed to him not replying to my mail.

This thread may be closed.
Walter

Post by Walter »

Thou shall not post the same fact at two places.
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041
jvanoort

Post by jvanoort »

Mea Culpa...my intention for this post though was to ask about the defect itself, while the post in General was specifically about the supposed lack of support.

I'll keep it in mind though.