buttons that don't register well

If you're having problems with the hardware of a DM41X or DM42, post about them here.
Michael
Site Admin

Re: buttons that don't register well

Post by Michael »

ThomasA wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:41 am
... but still a little bit different to its neighbours.
If the tactile feedback is different, then the button might be bent slightly inwards, pressing on the dome already.
If so please try this: open up the calculator again, remove the PCB and try to bend the button upwards from behind.
keithdalby

Post by keithdalby »

I have solved the button-click issue with my beta model of the DM42.

I noticed that the bluster buttons (don't know their technical name) were not quite lined up with the nobble on the underside of the buttons (don't know the technical name of the nobble either). The difference was probably less than 100\mu m, it really was tiny, but it was consistent across all of the lower row of buttons, being less obvious towards the top of the keyboard. Rather than peel off the plastic film and realign all the blister buttons (I tried, I just could not remove the film), I decided to simply wedge some paper between the right (when looking from the back) housing and the circuitboard near the button, so that it forced the blister buttons over a little bit. This has not only fixed the decimal point button, but also the iffy ENTER button. The keyboard is now a delight to use.
H2X

Post by H2X »

keithdalby wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:37 am

I noticed that the bluster buttons (don't know their technical name) were not quite lined up with the nobble on the underside of the buttons (don't know the technical name of the nobble either). The difference was probably less than 100\mu m, it really was tiny, but it was consistent across all of the lower row of buttons, being less obvious towards the top of the keyboard. Rather than peel off the plastic film and realign all the blister buttons (I tried, I just could not remove the film), I decided to simply wedge some paper between the right (when looking from the back) housing and the circuitboard near the button, so that it forced the blister buttons over a little bit. This has not only fixed the decimal point button, but also the iffy ENTER button. The keyboard is now a delight to use.
Interesting, sounds like it might fix my ENTER button as well. How exactly did your fix work - did it increase the distance between the buttons and the circuit board on one side, or did it shift the circuit board sideways? Could you post a photo?
What is the metric tensor in imperial units?
keithdalby

Post by keithdalby »

Photos are difficult to post on here from my phone and now I've sealed up the calculator again I'm reluctant to open it once more.

It shifted the board to one side slightly. That's all that was needed.
dlachieze

Post by dlachieze »

keithdalby wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:37 am

I noticed that the bluster buttons (don't know their technical name) were not quite lined up with the nobble on the underside of the buttons (don't know the technical name of the nobble either). The difference was probably less than 100\mu m, it really was tiny, but it was consistent across all of the lower row of buttons, being less obvious towards the top of the keyboard.
Interesting. How did you notice and measure the misalignment?
DM42: 00425 - DM41X: β00066 - WP43: 00042
keithdalby

Post by keithdalby »

No measurement, but I looked through the keyboard from the front side with the faceplate removed
grsbanks

Post by grsbanks »

keithdalby wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:27 am
No measurement, but I looked through the keyboard from the front side with the faceplate removed
Good job I didn't fix the key bezel back on for you adfter all :)
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.
keithdalby

Post by keithdalby »

Yes, thank you grsbanks!
H2X

Post by H2X »

keithdalby wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:11 am
Photos are difficult to post on here from my phone and now I've sealed up the calculator again I'm reluctant to open it once more.

It shifted the board to one side slightly. That's all that was needed.
OK, I understand. Thanks anyway, I am hopeful that the same medicine will work on mine. I'll try to document it if it does.
What is the metric tensor in imperial units?
c785

Post by c785 »

Really keen on improving keyboard feel too, so I might try your suggestion as well. I don't notice any misalignment so far, maybe have to look closer.

I will probably have to do that before I fix the bezel with that 3M tape -- it has come off so often in the past few months it really started to annoy me.

That being said, now that the production units are out, has there been any visible hardware change since the beta run? Key bezel still comes off, keyboard still flaky, I bet the PCB bending and USB alignment issue is still there too (OK, this one would definitely require a new mold, i.e. is expensive to fix).
DM42 #84