buttons that don't register well

If you're having problems with the hardware of a DM41X or DM42, post about them here.
Russel

Re: buttons that don't register well

Post by Russel »

It has been a couple weeks since I performed the Logan West keyboard procedure on the DM15L. I finally got around to doing it on the DM42 that I have, and I have to say that I'm pleased with the results. While it improves the feel, in my opinion, of both the DM15L and the DM42, it seemed to make more of a difference on the DM42.

I would like to thank Logan West for posting the video regarding the DM42 keyboard, and for posting the many other calculator videos that I have enjoyed watching. Thank you Logan!
Logan

Post by Logan »

I'm very glad it was helpful. You're welcome.
DM42 SN:00210
DM41X SN:00014
Bernd

Post by Bernd »

I applied Logan's treatment to my DM 42 yesterday and I'm very much pleased with the results. The usability of the keyboard is much improved.

So thanks a lot!
Dave Britten

Post by Dave Britten »

I just did the key flexing and Post-It note strips, and it's a massive improvement. At first I only did the key flexing, and while almost all the keys felt immediately better, Enter became substantially worse. But after adding two little strips from a Post-It, it's significantly better than it was originally.
Rmollov

Post by Rmollov »

Dave Britten wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:44 pm
I just did the key flexing and Post-It note strips, and it's a massive improvement. At first I only did the key flexing, and while almost all the keys felt immediately better, Enter became substantially worse. But after adding two little strips from a Post-It, it's significantly better than it was originally.
In what sense Enter was worse? Mine become a bit stiffer than the rest of the keys, but I assume this is because you actually press 2 keys instead of one. How come sticking some tape on top of the domes makes this effect disappear? I'll try that anyway, but just curious if there is some rational explanation.
Thanks,
tcab

Post by tcab »

Dave Britten wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:44 pm
But after adding two little strips from a Post-It, it's significantly better than it was originally.
Could you please explain your two little strips from a Post-It trick? I can't wait to try the flexing fix to the stiff keys of my DM42 but am worried that I might make the ENTER key worse, and will need the perform this secondary fix. However I don't understand what you did.

P.S. It's ironic that for all the talk about touchscreen iPhone/Android calculators not having the "feel" of real hardware keys, we end up with the DM42 which has keys too hard to press IMO and to me, unpleasant to use. A lovely, silky smooth keyboard is the whole point of a hardware calculator IMO, and we didn't get it out of the box. A noble effort by Swiss Micros but missing the essential point of a hardware calculator! Ironic. I have already done the unbalanced ENTER key 'fix' using screw tension. Will try these other fixes when I get back from holidays.
Dave Britten

Post by Dave Britten »

tcab wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:28 pm
Could you please explain your two little strips from a Post-It trick? I can't wait to try the flexing fix to the stiff keys of my DM42 but am worried that I might make the ENTER key worse, and will need the perform this secondary fix. However I don't understand what you did.
Check out cesar's posts on pages 14 & 15 of this thread. He came up with the idea and attached some photos. It's super simple, and completely reversible (i.e. low risk). I no longer dread having to use the Enter key.
Rmollov

Post by Rmollov »

Dave Britten wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:22 pm
tcab wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:28 pm
Check out cesar's posts on pages 14 & 15 of this thread. He came up with the idea and attached some photos. It's super simple, and completely reversible (i.e. low risk). I no longer dread having to use the Enter key.
Dave,
Are you saying that after applying Ceaser's fix your Enter key needs same force to register as all the other keys?
Thanks,
Dave Britten

Post by Dave Britten »

Rmollov wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:58 pm
Dave,
Are you saying that after applying Ceaser's fix your Enter key needs same force to register as all the other keys?
Thanks,
Qualitatively speaking, yes (I don't have anything to measure the exact force). But the important part is that after flexing the key hinges and then inserting the Post-It Note clippings as cesar did, the Enter key feels pleasantly crisp along the entire length of the key, and is comparable to the rest of the keyboard.
Rmollov

Post by Rmollov »

Dave Britten wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:40 pm

Qualitatively speaking, yes (I don't have anything to measure the exact force). But the important part is that after flexing the key hinges and then inserting the Post-It Note clippings as cesar did, the Enter key feels pleasantly crisp along the entire length of the key, and is comparable to the rest of the keyboard.
I thought one could easily compare the force applied by their finger given the fact it's a 50-50 choice. Thanks anyway.