DM42 key print quality issues

If you're having problems with the hardware of a DM41X or DM42, post about them here.
fs5qc

Re: DM42 key print quality issues

Post by fs5qc »

Zoom on it is on the X and >
bernouilli wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:35 pm
Honnestly, I too don’t see the problem with the swap key. I can see a small missing point of paint on the 6 key but nothing on the swap key.

To get more information about where you see a problem on the swap key, reavy wrote "on the > character" ? And you replied " no, on the x<>y key".

One can see the x<>y label as composed by 4 characters, x, <, >, and y. The question reavy asked was : is there a problem with the > sign on the x<>y key ?
reavy

Post by reavy »

That’s what I said.
fs5qc

Post by fs5qc »

Yes I am just waiting for a answer form the support them
reavy wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:55 pm
That’s what I said.
DA74254

Post by DA74254 »

Pixel peeping..
Well, I have a knob in my car that is the same. I guess I have to have it exchanged in a new one. Not only the knob but the whole car.

If you need a magnifier to see it in a day to day basis and a macro lens to even photograph it, I'd say it's a luxury problem. I'm sure the calc still functions as it should.

Now, when looking at my HP Prime (unfortunately I don't have my DM 42 near me for the time being), the dot over the "i" on the shift key is barely visible. Maybe I have to exchange that one as well?

You have 22 posts, whereof 15 is about your 6 and x><Y key, and which I had to both zoom to full and use glasses to see..
Esben
DM42 SN: 00245, WP43 Pilot SN:00002, DM32 SN: 00045 (Listed in obtained order).
fs5qc

Post by fs5qc »

I can clearly see it...

It just one the photo that is not showing well because of the web compression.

I just want a answer from Swiss Micros
DA74254 wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:06 pm
Pixel peeping..
Well, I have a knob in my car that is the same. I guess I have to have it exchanged in a new one. Not only the knob but the whole car.

If you need a magnifier to see it in a day to day basis and a macro lens to even photograph it, I'd say it's a luxury problem. I'm sure the calc still functions as it should.

Now, when looking at my HP Prime (unfortunately I don't have my DM 42 near me for the time being), the dot over the "i" on the shift key is barely visible. Maybe I have to exchange that one as well?

You have 22 posts, whereof 15 is about your 6 and x><Y key, and which I had to both zoom to full and use glasses to see..
fs5qc

Post by fs5qc »

Just to clarify Is a brand new DM42 that I just got.

If it was for a month that I got it I would not ask for a warranty.
fs5qc wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:18 pm
I can clearly see it...

It just one the photo that is not showing well because of the web compression.

I just want a answer from Swiss Micros
DA74254 wrote:
Pixel peeping..

Peet

Post by Peet »

DA74254 wrote:
Pixel peeping.. Well, I have a knob in my car that is the same. I guess I have to have it exchanged in a new one. Not only the knob but the whole car.

With the x<>y I still can't find a mistake, but the spot on the 6 is already noticeable in the first picture. It may be a luxury issue, but the DM42 is one of the most expensive calculators on the market. Such flaws can be very annoying on a new bought expensive produkt.
My programmable calculators - former: CBM PR100, HP41CV, HP28S, HP11C - current: HP48G(256kB), HP35S, Prime, DM41X, DM42
fs5qc

Post by fs5qc »

I just want add a update I got a offer to return my DM42 but the problem I got is if they exchange it if the new would got print quality issues.

I offer them to wait to see if they can find a solution and pay for a better one but they don’t answer to my email.

I told them that I don’t want something free.
Calambres

Post by Calambres »

I've just received a new DM42, s/n: 06900 (isn't it a cool serial#? 8-) ) The print quality is good, keys and labels, and I can see no faults at all in that respect. Your sample must have been a defective one I guess.

But now we're at this, I would like to note that the silkscreening of the plate, the yellow labels, are somewhat disappointing, not because they're faulty at all but because it is not what I saw in the Swissmicros web site. The yellow color selected is in my opinion much uglier than the classy and not that bright orange of the original and the images in swissmicros.com. To me, the labels are more prominent than the key's main functions and it makes the whole set a bit confusing and clogged.

Besides, being a monocolor silkscreening, the ON function is confusing as it seems to imply the need for the shift key, as it is with the OFF. In the original HP-42s it is white, which makes more sense. Also the original has some shadowing surrounding the labels for functions with menus (Solver, Convert, Flags, etc.), a useful feature missing in the DM42 due to the aforementioned monochromatic silkscreening. In other words, such an expensive calculator should have a proper multicolor silkscreening.

Otherwise the calculator, as we all know, is a joy to use and a fantastic piece of gear. Only the silkscreening design is not up to par.
Last edited by Calambres on Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
fs5qc

Post by fs5qc »

Yes I think is just my calculator that got this problem

I just want them to do something they told me they inspected it one by one so he miss it.
Calambres wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:15 pm
I've just received a new DM42, s/n: 06900 (isn't it a cool serial#? 8-) ) The print quality is good, keys and labels, and I can see no faults at all in that respect. Your sample must have been a defective one I guess.

But now we're at this, I would like to note that the silkscreening of the plate, the yellow labels, are somewhat disappointing, not because they're faulty at all but because it is not what I saw in the Swissmicros web site. The yellow color selected is in my opinion much uglier than the classy and not that bright orange of the original and the images in swissmicros.com. To me, the labels are more prominent than the key's main functions and it makes the whole set a bit confusing and clogged.

Besides, being a monocolor silkscreening, the ON function is confusing as it seems to imply the need for the shift key, as it is with the OFF. In the original HP-42s it is white, which makes more sense. Also the original has some shadowing surrounding the labels for functions with menus (Solver, Convert, Flags, etc.), a useful feature missing in the DM42 due to the aforementioned monochromatic silkscreening. In other words, such and expensive calculator should have a proper multicolor silkscreening.

Otherwise the calculator, as we all know, is a joy to use and a fantastic piece of gear. Only the silkscreening design is not up to par.