Upgraded keypad

If you're having problems with the hardware of a DM41X or DM42, post about them here.
Dubbie

Re: Upgraded keypad

Post by Dubbie »

I find myself not using my DM42 because of the keyboard.

I have a HP33s which I dislike a lot of things about, but at least when you press the buttons, they work every time without making an error ever 5 keystrokes.

I would really like to replace my keypad.
althor

Post by althor »

I would like to replace mine as well. I have an older model purchased in 2018 that I don't use. I'd like to know more about the changes that were made to improve the keyboard. When the suggestions for improving the old keyboard involved loosening screws or cleaning under the domes I lost confidence. I've read that the new keyboard is loud and still requires a hard press. I'd like to know what I can compare it to.
rudi

Post by rudi »

How can one tell, if the keyboard is the upgraded one? I have a DM42 underways in the post and hope that it is with the new keyboard.
/Rudi

DM-42 (s/n 06999), HP-42S, HP-35s, HP-11c, HP-32SII (ex HP-41CV, ex HP-75C, ex HP-48G + a lot, really lot of a accessories)
Denmark
ijabbott

Post by ijabbott »

rudi wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:06 am
How can one tell, if the keyboard is the upgraded one? I have a DM42 underways in the post and hope that it is with the new keyboard.
I don't think they have a pile of old stock with the old keyboard. There was a period when they were not allowing any DM41Xs or DM42s out the door at all until they solved a small problem with paint on the yellow shift key rubbing off on the new keyboard, which implies they did not have any DM42s with the old keyboard in stock.
redglyph

Post by redglyph »

Wait, is it possible to replace the keypad of early DM42 calculators? I don't think I would be able to replace the domes with a new set, but if there's another option for customers who had to suffer from this production issue, I'm interested.

I bought mine in 2018 and it's like in the video below, keys fail to register or sometimes they register twice. It is very annoying.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOyemhpYrDA

In the same video, the DM41X looks reliable, although the clicks seem to be loud.
gopper

Post by gopper »

redglyph wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:04 pm
Wait, is it possible to replace the keypad of early DM42 calculators?
Due to the construction of the board is not possible, the only parts that can be changed are the domes.

To years ago grsbanks wrote:
grsbanks wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:28 am
Yes. We're not yet sure exactly what it will include because we're looking at multiple options depending on how technically savvy people are (it's not as simple as just swapping out a piece of plastic somewhere) and we're fixing various dead links on the website first, so it won't be available for a few weeks yet.

But yes, there will be something to allow users of older gen keyboards to improve them.
But still waiting... forcing us to purchase a new gen model?

Personally, I'm very disappointed with Swissmicros. A flagship (and quite expensive) calculator nearly unusable and no comments about the issue.
Even when other user comes to a solution (domes replacement; viewtopic.php?p=13881#p13881) no comments at all. Is it so complicated to give their opinion?

Now the only options are to rely in the dome change solution or using our calculator as a paperweight.
H2X

Post by H2X »

gopper wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:05 pm
Now the only options are to rely in the dome change solution or using our calculator as a paperweight.
You have, I presume, contacted them directly (https://www.swissmicros.com/company) to no avail?
What is the metric tensor in imperial units?
gopper

Post by gopper »

Is not an issue with my unit, is a common problem with the first gen models. Moreover, they have acknowledged the problem in the forum and written that they were working in several solutions... so no point to ask them the same individually.

What bothers me is the silent... no problem if they say "we are very busy with the new models" or "sorry, to complex to fix it"... something.
But you're right, probably I should have contacted with them, and returned the unit if there were no solution.
ijabbott

Post by ijabbott »

Have you tried loosening the screws holding the PCB in place, and/or the "bits of post-it notes on the 'Enter' key dome" trick?
redglyph

Post by redglyph »

gopper wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:39 pm
Is not an issue with my unit, is a common problem with the first gen models. Moreover, they have acknowledged the problem in the forum and written that they were working in several solutions... so no point to ask them the same individually.

What bothers me is the silent... no problem if they say "we are very busy with the new models" or "sorry, to complex to fix it"... something.
But you're right, probably I should have contacted with them, and returned the unit if there were no solution.
I don't see many posts from SM, maybe they simply forgot about the thread, it happens frequently when there are many ongoing tasks. If you're waiting for a reply that is not coming, you shouldn't hesitate to send an email.

I'll probably check with them soon, I had forgotten about it and let the DM42 in a drawer, but now that I saw there was a new system for the 41X, I thought it could be applied to the 42 as well. I'm hesitating to get the DM41X but I'm not convinced yet. Maybe it's better to wait until all the production issues are fixed, I don't want to have the same problem I had with the 42.

As for the domes, I doubt that new domes would stay in place on an old half-sticky sheet, if I could even put them at the precise correct spot in the first place. But it's possible to replace the whole sheet with new domes, or even the PCB as they did with early versions - though that didn't fix the problem back then.