Faceplate peeling.

If you're having problems with the hardware of a DM41X or DM42, post about them here.
pica

Faceplate peeling.

Post by pica »

The black background on the faceplate of my dm42 is slowly peeling off. It started in the bottom left corner and the bald patch is now almost around the EXIT button and approaching the approaching the OFF imprint. I have tried to stop this by painting the area with nail varnish, but to no avail.
Has anyone else had this problem, or have any idea how to stop the spread?

The calculator is not new, bought in march 2018, with serial number SN:00293 and has seen quite a lot of use, but never in a damp environment.

There is an image at
https://drive.google.com/file/d/16_r1Fg ... sp=sharing

The format for sharing images does not seem to work. It just says "image" at the top of the post.
HP50G HP35s Free42 DM42.
Testing WP43S, C43.
toml_12953

Re: Faceplate peeling.

Post by toml_12953 »

Yeah but the OP's faceplate seems to be crumbling or dissolving. It doesn't need gluing down, it needs replacing.
Tom L

Some people call me inept but I'm as ept as anybody!
DM10L SN: 059/100
DM41X SN: 00023 (Beta)
DM41X SN: 00506 (Shipping)
DM42 SN: 00025 (Beta)
DM42 SN: 00221 (Shipping)
WP43 SN: 00025 (Prototype)
Geoff Quickfall

Post by Geoff Quickfall »

Oh,

It’s called reading the post (oops).

The silk screen is peeling off would require a new face plate which can then be glued into place.

That is something new to me, as both my 42S (beta and production) have not suffered that!

Could it be a lab environment (outgassing chemicals?) or it could be something the infamous K-cars in the states suffered with poorly prepared substrate and bad factory painting techniques.

In any case, a whole new face plate would be the fix.

Cheers, Geoff
grsbanks

Post by grsbanks »

pica wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:52 am
https://drive.google.com/file/d/16_r1Fg ... sp=sharing

The format for sharing images does not seem to work. It just says "image" at the top of the post.
That's because the link isn't to an image but to a web page that the image is on.

Get in touch with Michael at michael@swissmicros.com, he should be able to help (with the key bezel).
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.
pica

Post by pica »

Get in touch with Michael at michael@swissmicros.com, he should be able to help (with the key bezel).
I'll get in touch with Michael eventually, if it gets worse. No, the calculator does not venture into a lab, just a normal domestic environment. I can live with it as it is, but would be happy to find a way to make sure it does not get any worse.
HP50G HP35s Free42 DM42.
Testing WP43S, C43.
Spationaute

Post by Spationaute »

I just started having the same issue! Serial Number: 03329. The paint is starting to fall apart spot by spot, even if I am super cautious.
Spationaute

Post by Spationaute »

Problem Solved with the support of the SwissMicros team!