removing LCD from plastic case?

If you're having problems with the hardware of a DM41X or DM42, post about them here.
SeeMess

removing LCD from plastic case?

Post by SeeMess » Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:34 pm

Hi all,
I would like to remove the LCD on a keyboard unit with a fading yellow shift key to a new keyboard unit that Michael kindly sent me.
I can remove the glass plate first with no problems. But getting the LCD away from the adhesive tape holding it in is a different matter. I've been advised to try bending the plastic part slowly from the left and right side. When I start to do so, however, the LCD begins to turn grey / black where pressure is coming up from behind and I'm a bit unsure about the prudence of proceeding in this way.
If anyone has additional details or suggestions for how to safely unmount the LCD I'd be grateful.
Many thanks in advance - c.

EM41

Re: removing LCD from plastic case?

Post by EM41 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:01 pm

I have not done this on a DM but generally heating helps to soften the glue on these things.
Rob your wifes/girls hairdryer and heat from below, use moderate heat because LCD's don't like overheating.
Another thing I used once is to put a strip of SMD desoldering steel under it and try to carefully lift it, if it works depends on how much space on the bottom and side is available.
HP41C, HP41CV, HP41CX, DM41X β, DM42, HP11C, HP48G, HP97

mcc

Re: removing LCD from plastic case?

Post by mcc » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:33 am

Hi,

Warning! I haven't done this before but it is a recommended way, to remove for example glued mirrors
from the inside of car front windows:
Move a string of dental floss/silk between the LCD and the plastic case.
Pull the string against the case and not the glass of the LCD.

Good luck!

Cheers!
mcc
DM 42 - SN: 00373, Firmware release v.:3.18. / 3.18. as compiled by SwissMicros