New DM 42

If you're having problems with the hardware of a DM41X or DM42, post about them here.
jonmoore

Re: New DM 42

Post by jonmoore »

Thanks for the info Bob. Maybe when the 41x's 'brand new toy' status has waned, I'll be willing to risk the procedure you describe. Either way it's good to know that a possible fix exists. A big deciding factor of for attempting the fix you describe will be whether my 'Heath Robinson' fix manages to stem further pollution.
PierreMengisen

Post by PierreMengisen »

rprosperi wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 12:52 am
The glass on a DM42/DM41X CAN be removed from the plastic frame, leaving the LCD in-place.
In order not to shatter the glass plate, I took it off with a small suction cup. This allowed me not to touch the sticky strip and to clean the whole without disassembling the calculator. You just have to be careful to clean it in a dust-free atmosphere. This last point being for me the most important in the process.
Pierre
[TI59 with PC100C; TI-84 Plus CE-T; HP41CV with HP IL loop & 2*82161A DCD & 82162 TP; HP15C; HP28S; DM41; DM41L; DM42; DM41X]
jonmoore

Post by jonmoore »

PierreMengisen wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 11:39 am
This allowed me not to touch the sticky strip and to clean the whole without disassembling the calculator. You just have to be careful to clean it in a dust-free atmosphere. This last point being for me the most important in the process.
Nice extra tip. I had to use a sucker to dismantle my 49g+ a few years back (the only way to get at the innards of 49/50g devices is to remove to plastic panel over the LCD).

I think I'll commandeer the kitchen at home for any attempted fix, my partner keeps that space like a vacuum sealed lab! :)
jonmoore

Post by jonmoore »

Lifted the glass using the sucker trick and all as fine again. The one spec of dust that can be seen landed bang splat as I was taking the shot (at work so not a dust free environment). For anybody that's interested, you need to use no force at all with a decent 3cm sucker. And the glass slots back into place really easily too.

Geoff Quickfall

Post by Geoff Quickfall »

Going to try it today :!:

Thanks for the update.