Improved Keyboard????

If you're having problems with the hardware of a DM41X or DM42, post about them here.
jtowich

Improved Keyboard????

Post by jtowich »

Is there any ongoing effort to improve the keyboard? There are plenty of complaints on this forum about its problems. I have had my DM42 for about a year and I have resorted to going back to my HP 32S for most calculator use. I really like the DM42, still use it for the custom programs I put in, but the keyboard flakiness has been too much. I would love to get another DM42 if I knew it had a decent keyboard. But I couldn't recommend anyone else get one like I have.
Michael
Site Admin

Re: Improved Keyboard????

Post by Michael »

The problem has been identified. It seems the metal sheets from which the metal domes were stamped weren't cleaned properly.
An oil film prevents reliable contact. The domes and the contact area on the PCB can be cleaned, which significantly improves the reliability.
We encourage anybody having such issues to do so, but of course this is not what customers should need to do.
We're working with a new supplier for new foils with the metal domes. Once available replacement foils can be obtained.
akaTB

Post by akaTB »

Michael wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:54 am
The problem has been identified. It seems the metal sheets from which the metal domes were stamped weren't cleaned properly.
An oil film prevents reliable contact. The domes and the contact area on the PCB can be cleaned, which significantly improves the reliability.
We encourage anybody having such issues to do so, but of course this is not what customers should need to do.
We're working with a new supplier for new foils with the metal domes. Once available replacement foils can be obtained.
May I suggest an "how-to" video for those who want to try to clean the domes?
Greetings,
    Massimo
ajcaton
-+×÷ left is right and right is wrong :twisted: Casted in gold
DA74254

Post by DA74254 »

akaTB wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:47 am
Michael wrote:
A big thank you to Michael for adressing this problem and to work for a solution.
As for myself, only the "on/exit" key have problem, but as akaTB suggests; a howto-vid would be highly appreciated :)
Esben
DM42 SN: 00245, WP43 Pilot SN:00002, DM32 SN: 00045 (Listed in obtained order).
Walter

Post by Walter »

Michael wrote:
The problem has been identified. It seems ...
Hear, hear!
DA74254 wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:52 am
akaTB wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:47 am
Michael wrote:
... the metal sheets from which the metal domes were stamped weren't cleaned properly.
... as akaTB suggests; a howto-vid would be highly appreciated :)
May I concur suggesting an htv for the lazy writers of us? ;)
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041
cdmackay

Post by cdmackay »

Are we talking about keys that don't reliably register, or debouncing issues with unwanted repeats? I suffer from the former, but have never seen the latter.

Will someone tell us when the replacement foils are available and how to request one, please? thank you.
Cambridge, UK
41CL/DM41X 12/15C/16C DM15/16 17B/II/II+ 28S 42S/DM42 32SII 48GX 50g 35s WP34S PrimeG2 WP43S/pilot
Casio, Rockwell 18R
Michael
Site Admin

Post by Michael »

Unfortunately it'll take at least a month or two for the new foils to be finished.
We'll post the availability and how to get them here in the forum.
grsbanks

Post by grsbanks »

cdmackay wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:28 pm
Are we talking about keys that don't reliably register, or debouncing issues with unwanted repeats? I suffer from the former, but have never seen the latter.
An unreliable contact can cause either phenomenon.
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.
jtowich

Post by jtowich »

Thank you. Good to know you are working on it.
cdmackay

Post by cdmackay »

thanks both, great news.
Cambridge, UK
41CL/DM41X 12/15C/16C DM15/16 17B/II/II+ 28S 42S/DM42 32SII 48GX 50g 35s WP34S PrimeG2 WP43S/pilot
Casio, Rockwell 18R