Bricked hardware when updating

If you're having problems with the hardware of a DM41X or DM42, post about them here.
Rhiggins

Bricked hardware when updating

Post by Rhiggins »

I bricked my DM42 when updating its firmware. It does not enter bootloader mode. Even when I try by pressing the reset and pgm buttons. Is there a way I can recover?

Thanks
Rodger
Michael
Site Admin

Re: Bricked hardware when updating

Post by Michael »

Unless there is a defect, it's almost impossible to brick it.
Press and hold PGM, then press and release RESET, release PGM.
Then use the dm_tool to flash a firmware.
Rhiggins

Post by Rhiggins »

What I meant by pressing the reset and pgm button is the sequence that you referenced. It does not enter bootloader mode. In fact the LCD screen has "snow". So is there anyway I can recover from this?
Michael
Site Admin

Post by Michael »

Rhiggins wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:21 pm
What I meant by pressing the reset and pgm button is the sequence that you referenced. It does not enter bootloader mode. In fact the LCD screen has "snow". So is there anyway I can recover from this?
Snow sounds like a broken flex ribbon to the LCD.
I'm quite sure it does enter the bootloader if you press that sequence, but the bootloader does not write anything to the LCD.
Try entering the bootloader and flash a firmware with the dm_tool
Rhiggins

Post by Rhiggins »

It's back and working! It looks like the dfu-util addressed changed. I didn't realize it. :D
Thanks for the help!

Rodger
physill

Post by physill »

I had a great deal of difficulty in attempting to update to version 3.7 firmware to the extent that I went back to 3.5. In attempting to update to 3.7 using all the directions available for using the dm_tool I ended up with a set of menu choices associated with DMCP or QSPI and could not get to the stack. Using directions in MOHP which provide more detail than available on SwissMicros site I also was not able to get past menus stated above. I also tried using update by FAT once which resulted in the same result. FYI During this process the only way to get any of the tools to download required disabling anti-virus and any certificate checking items in Security in Internet Explorer.

Recovering to version 3.5 went smoothly using the available instructions on SwissMicros site.

Is there anything I am missing using the SwissMicros instructions for updating a two part firmware upgrade which 3.7 is stated to be.

I apologize for the lack of detail in the acts I took to attempt to upgrade to 3.7 but I worked on it for about 20 hours and many variations of permissions in Windows 10 and my antivirus complicate telling the whole tale.

Thank you for your consideration. This is my first post. I really like the DM42 and like to keep it up to date.
dlachieze

Post by dlachieze »

physill wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:04 am
Is there anything I am missing using the SwissMicros instructions for updating a two part firmware upgrade which 3.7 is stated to be.
With 3.7 you don't need to use anymore dm_tool, you can find the update instructions for the two parts firmware here. This has not yet been reflected on the main DM42 page on the SwissMicros site.
DM42: 00425 - DM41X: β00066 - WP43: 00042
physill

Post by physill »

Thank you dlachieze for the link to two part firmware update instructions.

In the Firmware Update section of the DM42 manual it states that if you get a choice to go to QSPI then QSPI needs updating:

=========
Firmware Update
Latest firmware is available at https://www.swissmicros.com/dm42/firmware/
DM42 has two firmware areas. First one is the main flash area which is updated with each firmware update, the second one is auxiliary QSPI area which is rarely updated and special update menu appears when the firmware needs new QSPI contents.

No action related to QSPI contents is needed until firmware requests QSPI update by showing "QSPI Load" menu.
=========

As I stated in my first post "In attempting to update to 3.7 using all the directions available for using the dm_tool I ended up with a set of menu choices associated with DMCP or QSPI and could not get to the stack." The actual menu header choices were DMCP and SYSTEM. In the SYSTEM menu was a choice for flashing the QSPI. So I went ahead and did this using the calculator in V3.7 (as far as I got into the flash procedure per my previous note) and the DMtool ver 2.3. Note: when I had reflashed to v3.5, the help file was corrupted and could not be corrected by repeated using the DMTool.

The QSPI reflash from v3.7 SYSTEM menu seemed to be working and the DM42 screen appeared and looked like this:

A -
B -
C -
QE - QSPI Bulk Erase
F - Run Bootloader
keys= 0- 0 (xxxxxxx:0) PLL:80MHz
2018-06-11 20:42:45 Mon

The values in (xxxxxxx:0) are a list of 7 numbers currently at (1271019:0) counting up to some value starting with one x at the beginning. I have watched this behavior for over 24 hours now.

Undoubtedly I have engaged the wrong menu choice from the wrong configuration on the DM42. This is due in no small part to the lack of SwissMicro instructions for two part firmware. But dlachieze has provided some instructions in his reply. Thanks I hope to try them out sometime.

I admit ignorance of the DM42 hardware to the extent I may be dangerous. Can someone tell me if I have to wait until the counting of the number stops to do anything else including turning off the DM42? Can I just stop the machine and implement dlachieze's instructions? What is the machine doing with all this counting? Do I need to return the DM42 to SwissMicros for junk now or just put some .308s in it and buy a new DM42.

Thank you for your consideration.

physill: s/n 01098
dlachieze

Post by dlachieze »

I'm sorry that your DM-42 is stuck in QSPI flashing, I thought you were able to flash back to 3.5. I will not be able to provide any help on the QSPI as I've never had to flash it. So you'll need help from SwissMicros, I suggest you contact directly Michael for this.
DM42: 00425 - DM41X: β00066 - WP43: 00042
Leechpool

Post by Leechpool »

dlachieze wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:23 am
physill wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:04 am
With 3.7 you don't need to use anymore dm_tool, you can find the update instructions for the two parts firmware here. This has not yet been reflected on the main DM42 page on the SwissMicros site.
I thought I was being a numpty and had done something wrong when I tried to update from 3.5 to 3.7. Without this post I would have been lost. Shouldn't the User Manual be updated as a matter of urgency else others will fall into the same trap.

I flashed the 3.7 bin file but also needed the pgm file. I nearly started messing about with QSPI but luckily found this post... :)