Upgraded keypad

If you're having problems with the hardware of a DM41X or DM42, post about them here.
EM41

Re: Upgraded keypad

Post by EM41 »

Production can be done with zero tolerances but there is always an uncertainty that a specified parameter is actually met.
Totally different and usually misunderstood, one has to do with a parameter over a series of devices, the other with an individual parameter.
HP41C (2x), HP41CV, HP41CX, DM41X β, DM41X, DM42, HP11C, HP48G, HP97
STS-741

Post by STS-741 »

EM41 wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:27 pm
Production can be done with zero tolerances but there is always an uncertainty that a specified parameter is actually met.
This is exactly what we are talking about here, whatever the manufacturing process will be, there will always be tolerances in the end and simply ignoring them is unprofessional and inevitably leads to problems. Of course, you can also produce something without planning any tolerances, but the actual standard is always the end result.
jthole

Post by jthole »

My DM41X Beta is on its way back from Switzerland, because the keyboard failed; Michael replaced the foil with the domes. I must say that, apart from the keys failing, the tactile feedback of the beta unit was quite good for me. Personally I liked it better than the DM15L. I guess the new foil will still be the older design, because my understanding is that the older keyboards do not support the new domes? (different pressure points?).
Anyway, if it's reliable now, I am happy ... I don't need a too "clicky" keyboard really.
I am still on the fence about the production DM41X. It looks really nice, and it has a yellow shift key :lol: but it's quite an investment (absolutely not unreasonable, but still a lot of money ;) ). And working with the DM15L again for the past two weeks taught me again that my needs are relatively basic (but the enormous software library for the DM41X is wonderful).

Edit: the repaired keyboard seems very reliable; no missed keys, and also the "roll finger between keys" test passed flawlessly. If the production keyboard is even better, then it must be great indeed!