Annuciators

Post here to share useful tips and tricks, to ask questions about using your DM42 or to report software-related problems
User avatar
Leechpool
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:12 pm

Annuciators

Post by Leechpool » Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:29 pm

Hi,
I've got an annunciator on my DM42 which I can't find reference to in any manual or user guides. It's a black square (filled black) with a white number one digit in it.....
What does it mean?
Have I missed it somewhere in a user guide? (tried DM42/HP42S/alterantive42S user guides)
Are all the DM42 annunciators listed anywhere? - I think this might be an extra one added over those possible on the HP42S.

Sorry if the meaning should be obvious or if I have missed it in documentation somewhere.
Thanks in advance for any help....

:D

rprosperi
Posts: 501
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:48 pm
Location: New York

Re: Annuciators

Post by rprosperi » Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:33 pm

Leechpool wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:29 pm
Hi,
I've got an annunciator on my DM42 which I can't find reference to in any manual or user guides. It's a black square (filled black) with a white number one digit in it.....
What does it mean?
It means Flag 01 is set. Flags 01-10 are shown this way. I think this is in the (DM42) manual, but could be wrong.
--bob p

DM42: β00071 & 00282

User avatar
Leechpool
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:12 pm

Re: Annuciators

Post by Leechpool » Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:46 pm

rprosperi,
Thank you very much for such a quick reply. Not sure how I would have set Flag 01, but I looked at how to use flags... tested and found it was set, cleared it and found that the annunciator disappeared, confirming you are correct.
Perfect thanks.
:)

User avatar
Walter
Posts: 1100
Joined: Tue May 02, 2017 9:13 am
Location: Close to FRA, Germany

Re: Annuciators

Post by Walter » Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:08 pm

rprosperi wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:33 pm
Leechpool wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:29 pm
Hi,
I've got an annunciator on my DM42 which I can't find reference to in any manual or user guides. It's a black square (filled black) with a white number one digit in it.....
What does it mean?
It means Flag 01 is set. Flags 01-10 are shown this way. I think this is in the (DM42) manual, but could be wrong.
I doubt anything concerning this is mentioned in the manual so far (cf. https://www.swissmicros.com/dm42/doc/dm42_user_manual/). There may be something in the QRG, however.

Edit: Can't find anything in the QRG as well although there's a chapter about flags. :(
BTW: The QRG knows a "Crow mode" :? ; would be interesting for ornithologists but isn't meant this way, I assume. ;) :P
DM42 SN: 00041 --- Follower of Platon.

HP-35, HP-45, ..., HP-50, WP 34S, WP 31S, DM16L

tarom
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:35 am

Re: Annuciators

Post by tarom » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:54 am

Another part of the user manual that needs clarification would be "goose" under RefLCD in more detail section. At first, I did not understand what it was all about. A friend taught me "flying goose" of HP-41, which is hard to find if you search HP-42 documents only. Perhaps it is common knowledge for veterans, but it would be nice to be kind for novice users.

Michael
Site Admin
Posts: 236
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:31 pm

Re: Annuciators

Post by Michael » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:24 am

Walter wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:08 pm
It means Flag 01 is set. Flags 01-10 are shown this way. I think this is in the (DM42) manual, but could be wrong.
Thanks, corrected "CROW mode" to "GROW mode" and added a note about flags 0-10 indication in the help file.

Thomas Okken
Posts: 619
Joined: Tue May 02, 2017 3:48 pm
Contact:

Re: Annuciators

Post by Thomas Okken » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:23 pm

tarom wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:54 am
Another part of the user manual that needs clarification would be "goose" under RefLCD in more detail section. At first, I did not understand what it was all about. A friend taught me "flying goose" of HP-41, which is hard to find if you search HP-42 documents only. Perhaps it is common knowledge for veterans, but it would be nice to be kind for novice users.
That's odd... I learned about the goose, including its name, from the HP-41C manual, but in the HTMLified version at greendyk.nl, the goose is explained, but the word "goose" is never used.

A quick glance at the "Simple Programming" chapter of the HP-42S manual reveals no mention of the goose at all.

In Free42, the goose is implemented, but with a speed limit of 10 movements per second. The reason for the speed limit is efficiency: on the real HP-41C, flying the goose is accomplished by rotating the contents of the display, and on the 42S it is probably accomplished by updating two character positions; both versions require writing 12 bytes, which is a pretty cheap operation.

Free42, on the other hand, runs as an app in graphical desktop environments, where even a minor display update can consume hundreds or thousands of CPU cycles, and moving the goose on every LBL would dominate CPU usage, crowding out more useful activity (and accomplishing nothing except turning the display into a blur).

The situation with DM42 is somewhere in between, and I'm guessing goose throttling is useful there as well. This should be taken into account when documenting the goose and what it represents.

EDIT: Or am I mis-remembering about the goose being referred to as "goose" in the original HP-41C manual? Did I learn that term from HP Key Notes?

User avatar
akaTB
Posts: 307
Joined: Tue May 02, 2017 11:56 am

Re: Annuciators

Post by akaTB » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:55 pm

First time I saw the term goose was on William C. Wickes' Synthetic programming on the HP-41C
Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ left is right and right is wrong :twisted: Casted in gold

toml_12953
Posts: 529
Joined: Wed May 03, 2017 5:46 pm
Location: Malone, NY USA

Re: Annuciators

Post by toml_12953 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:54 pm

Michael wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:24 am
Walter wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:08 pm
It means Flag 01 is set. Flags 01-10 are shown this way. I think this is in the (DM42) manual, but could be wrong.
Thanks, corrected "CROW mode" to "GROW mode" and added a note about flags 0-10 indication in the help file.
I thought CROW mode had something to do with the Flying Goose! :)
Tom L

My father was a man of the cloth. He was a tailor.

DM42 SN: 00025 (Beta)
SN: 00221 (Shipping)

rprosperi
Posts: 501
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:48 pm
Location: New York

Re: Annuciators

Post by rprosperi » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:57 pm

akaTB wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:55 pm
First time I saw the term goose was on William C. Wickes' Synthetic programming on the HP-41C
I think the word "goose" for that 'cursor' was first used in an issue of PPC Journal (but may have been Key Notes), but widespread use followed Bill Wickes' famous book as Massimo points out.

""Goose" sticks in the mind of anyone that read that book, since it explained the use of synthetics to make the goose appear to fly backwards (it normally flew forwards across the screen to see program operation was proceeding) plus a heretical reference to the trailing period in the display as a goose dropping.
--bob p

DM42: β00071 & 00282

Post Reply