Big stack queries

Post here to share useful tips and tricks, to ask questions about using your DM42 or to report software-related problems
pica

Big stack queries

Post by pica »

I have just started playing with the big stack over the last few days, and enjoying it. I have a couple of queries though.

1. I notice that when using the CLST command, not only is the stack clear, but the alpha register seems clear as well. I normally have my display show the A register. The contents of the alpha register then reappears as soon as data is entered into the x register. Is this the intended behavior?

2. When pushing ENTER after data entry, the data is entered into the x register, without lifting the stack and duplicating the data, as HP42 normally would. This means that the function of the ENTER key is now duplicating the effect of pushing EXIT. Is this intended behavior? I prefer prefer the standard HP42 behavior, since I can always press EXIT when I don't want it, which is rarely.

Neither of the above are major issues that I I can't get used to. Just curious.
HP50G HP35s Free42 DM42.
Testing WP43S, C43.
Thomas Okken

Re: Big stack queries

Post by Thomas Okken »

pica wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:44 pm
2. When pushing ENTER after data entry, the data is entered into the x register, without lifting the stack and duplicating the data, as HP42 normally would. This means that the function of the ENTER key is now duplicating the effect of pushing EXIT. Is this intended behavior?
Yes.

Note that this is the behavior when you press ENTER during number entry; when not in number entry mode, the ENTER key performs DUP. The idea is to emulate the behavior of the ENTER key on the RPL machines.

Also note that pressing ENTER in number entry mode is not the same as pressing EXIT, since EXIT causes an exit from the current menu, while ENTER does not.
pica

Re: Big stack queries

Post by pica »

Thanks. I had missed the bit about leaving open menus.
HP50G HP35s Free42 DM42.
Testing WP43S, C43.