What I would like to have ...

Post here to share useful tips and tricks, to ask questions about using your DM42 or to report software-related problems
mcc

What I would like to have ...

Post by mcc »

Hi,

first of all:
This is by no means a complaint!
I *LOVE* my DM42! :)

These are just some ideas...

a) When using the "delete"-function while editing programs, the cursor hits the upper row of the display.
This makes it kind of difficult to see, what get deleted next and one needs to scroll around several times.
It would be nice, if the cursor gets "locked" in the middle of the screen while deleting and only move up,
if there is no "material left" above the cursor to scroll down.

b) The filebrowser (loading and saveing programs) displays two colums of files. One can use X<>Y two jump
the cursor to the left side.
But there it stops.
After that you have to scroll through the rest of the files, which this "jump function" wants
to avoid. It would be nice, if x<>y would just "scrolls horizontally" while up/down would scroll
"vertically" through all files available.

c) There is no way to insert a result, which is displayed on the screen, into a program other than using paper
and pencil to write down all 32 digits and insert those manually into a program. Kind a "clipboard" would
be neat, which is able to hold the contents of the alpha register and/or a complex number, which then
can be pasted into a program, which is being edited.

d) FIX ends at 11 digits. But there is so much space between "X:" and the start of the first digit or the last digit and the
right border of the screen when using a smaller font. Why not to use this?
The DM42 is capable of a precision of 32 digits - why to hide this behind a "SHOW" function? :)

Cheers!
mcc
DM 42 - SN: 00373, Firmware release v.:3.22. / DMCP 3.24. as compiled by SwissMicros
Walter

Re: What I would like to have ...

Post by Walter »

mcc wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:05 am
c) There is no way to insert a result, which is displayed on the screen, into a program other than using paper
and pencil to write down all 32 digits and insert those manually into a program. Kind a "clipboard" would
be neat, which is able to hold the contents of the alpha register and/or a complex number, which then
can be pasted into a program, which is being edited.
Isn't that clipboard called register, is it? It was even invented earlier...
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041
whuyse

Post by whuyse »

As I understand it, he wants to insert the value of the X-reg as a constant program line.
Cheers, Werner
41CV†,42S,48GX,49G,DM42,DM41X,17BII,15CE, DM15L
mcc

Post by mcc »

Hi,

regarding the "clipboard"...

One usecase would be:
I have a program called "CLEAR" which resets my DM42 to a known state. Same like a status file but without overwriting any
programs in memory.

Now we have RCLFL and STOFL. RCLFL writes to the stack and STOFL takes the values from the stack.
But inside of "CLEAR" I only can restore a flag pattern, which was there, before CLEAR was executed.
Resetting a "screwed" flag pattern to a know state isn't possible without the pen&pencil method described.
WIth a "clipboard" I would set the wanted flag pattern by hand once, do a RCLFL, "paste" the according
stack items into the clipboard, start editing CLEAR, paste the values and would a STOFL afterwards.

This is only one example.

Cheers!
mcc
DM 42 - SN: 00373, Firmware release v.:3.22. / DMCP 3.24. as compiled by SwissMicros
Thomas Okken

Post by Thomas Okken »

I agree, Copy and Paste in PRGM mode would be useful, specifically, something more fine-grained than the current Copy and Paste that only work with whole programs (and aren't supported on the DM42, but that's a separate issue).

I'll put it on my to-do list. This is something I've wanted for a while, but I need to think about how it would work in the user interface.
Thomas Okken

Post by Thomas Okken »

I guess generalized PRGM-mode cut/copy/paste is something I could save for later, and add an X2PGM function right now: non-programmable, immediate execution in both PRGM and RUN modes, taking the number from the X register and inserting it as a program line. That functionality is a bit of an oddity anyway so I should probably not drive myself nuts trying to combine it with PRGM-mode cut/copy/paste in some Grand Unified Editing Paradigm™.
mcc

Post by mcc »

Hi Thomas,

"Just new in the cooling shelf! Fresh DM42s with The Grand Unified Editing Paradigm! Get you personal copy NOW!" :)

A BIG THANK YOU Thomas!

Q: Somewhere I read, that Michael and David are normally not reading the forum. For the other suggestions I made I think that
these are DMCP related and not Free42-related. PM to Michael or should I handle this the best way?

Cheers! Und Dir noch einen schönen Tag! Have a nice day!
mcc