How to use PGMMENU & VARMENU

Post here to share useful tips and tricks, to ask questions about using your DM42 or to report software-related problems
Thomas Okken

Re: How to use PGMMENU & VARMENU

Post by Thomas Okken »

Until the DM42 Programming Tool is updated, you can also use Free42 itself to do the conversion: copy your program text from your text editor, paste it into Free42 (in PRGM mode), then save the resulting program using Export Program. A bit cumbersome but it should get the job done.
whuyse

Post by whuyse »

richmit wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:34 am
A VARMENU1 function that acted the way the integration variable menu works would be a neat feature.
Actually, in that integration menu, there's another behaviour I'd like to see in VARMENU1: catch EXIT. In the integration menu, pressing EXIT repeatedly will cycle back through the respective menus (INTEG menu -> integration variable menu -> PGMMENU), where the integration variable menu is the one we use VARMENU for.
VARMENU today simply stops upon EXIT. If VARMENU1 would resume program execution instead, we should then be able to distinguish between having chosen a variable and having pressed EXIT:
- Alpha register contains the name of the chosen variable, so it can be empty on EXIT (but that's not what the integration menu does)
- Yet Another Flag
- .. your suggestion here

Cheers, Werner
41CV†,42S,48GX,49G,DM42,DM41X,17BII,15CE, DM15L
Thomas Okken

Post by Thomas Okken »

whuyse wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:51 pm
If VARMENU1 would resume program execution instead, we should then be able to distinguish between having chosen a variable and having pressed EXIT:
- Alpha register contains the name of the chosen variable, so it can be empty on EXIT
That sounds reasonable...
whuyse wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:51 pm
(but that's not what the integration menu does)
?
whuyse

Post by whuyse »

I meant: when, in the integration menu, you do not select a variable of integration but EXIT instead, it does not clear the alpha register.
Cheers, Werner
41CV†,42S,48GX,49G,DM42,DM41X,17BII,15CE, DM15L
Thomas Okken

Post by Thomas Okken »

Ah, OK. But it doesn't put the variable name in ALPHA when you select an integration variable, either, so that's not really a concern, I think.

I made the change to VARMNU1, so it will be in 3.0.3. BTW, I made it so that it still removes the menu on EXIT, so it performs the equivalent of CLA RUN when EXIT is pressed in addition to removing the menu, not instead of. I'm not 100% sure that's the best thing to do, but it does save an EXITALL call in the most common scenario.
spiff72

Post by spiff72 »

I have been bouncing against this same issue with the encoder on the swissmicros site not understanding the FUNC commands lately and thought I was missing something.

I know that this is an older post, but it seems that this still hasn't been fixed in the encoder.

Are there any plans to upgrade the encoder to allow it to correctly encode these? Are there other similar encoders out there that can do the same thing with the FUNC capability built in?

What would be a good workaround for this? Replacing the FUNC commands with something else before encoding and then uploading the resulting raw file and editing on the calculator?

I thought maybe I could do it with Free42 on a PC because I find it usually just loads a bunch of "END" programs instead...

Thanks!
WP31S/WP34S (HP 30b), WP43/C47 (DM42), newRPL (various), and DB48X (DM42) adhesive and tabbed overlays available here:
https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-20113.html
Thomas Okken

Post by Thomas Okken »

I have offered, quite a while ago, to update the DM42 programming tool to include the latest additions to the Free42 instruction set. According to its version history, the tool hasn't been updated since October 2020, and there have been a lot of additions since then.
spiff72 wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 6:22 pm
I thought maybe I could do it with Free42 on a PC because I find it usually just loads a bunch of "END" programs instead...
You should be able to use Copy and Paste in Free42, in PRGM mode, to convert programs to and from plain text format. Are you saying you're encountering problems with that functionality? I'm not sure I understand the question.
spiff72

Post by spiff72 »

Thomas Okken wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2023 11:08 am

You should be able to use Copy and Paste in Free42, in PRGM mode, to convert programs to and from plain text format. Are you saying you're encountering problems with that functionality? I'm not sure I understand the question.
I was not aware of that copy/paste functionality within PRGM mode. I believe that I was trying to use the File-Import Program menu to bring in a txt formatted program.
WP31S/WP34S (HP 30b), WP43/C47 (DM42), newRPL (various), and DB48X (DM42) adhesive and tabbed overlays available here:
https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-20113.html
rprosperi

Post by rprosperi »

Thomas Okken wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2023 11:08 am
I have offered, quite a while ago, to update the DM42 programming tool to include the latest additions to the Free42 instruction set. According to its version history, the tool hasn't been updated since October 2020, and there have been a lot of additions since then.
I'll look into this... Thanks Thomas for the kind offer! :)
--bob p

DM42: β00071 & 00282, DM41X: β00071 & 00656, DM10L: 071/100