Formatting the FAT disc?

Post here to share useful tips and tricks, to ask questions about using your DM42 or to report software-related problems
Jvi

Formatting the FAT disc?

Post by Jvi »

Hi all

I was copying some Offimg images to the OFFIMG Library, when i inadvertently copied a .LNK file into the library.
When i tried to erase the file, something weird happened, both the calculator and the PC locked up, and i was forced to remove the USB cable.
After this, the PC and calculator went back to normal, but some weird Library files had been added to the OFFIMG library:
I cannot delete or rename them, i suspect that they are fat table errors.
I think the only option is to format the FAT disc, but all i can find in the DM42 manual is that the Format command will erase all data.
I have of course copied all data from the FAT disc, minus the weird libraries

My question is this: Will the format command also erase the firmware, or will the calculator and all commands still work?
Attachments
offimg.JPG
offimg.JPG (23.81 KiB) Viewed 1526 times
salvomic

Re: Formatting the FAT disc?

Post by salvomic »

something like this happened to me (but accessing the /State folder) in a MacBook (macOS 11, Big Sur) with FAT corruption, one time with DM42, and another in DM41X.
I formatted the DM42 and put in it a backup without losing FW. With DM41X I was able to reconnect usb, then copying the folders from a backup replacing the corrupt files apparently without issues.
My new cable (USB c/micro) seems to be good enough.

So, something strange happens both in Windows and in Mac also... Why?

Salvo
∫aL√0mic (IT9CLU) :: DM42 (SN: 00881), DM41X (SN 00523), DM16, HP Prime, 50g, 41CX, 42s, 71b, 15C, 12C, 35s, WP34s -- Free42
rprosperi

Post by rprosperi »

Formatting the FAT drive will only erase the files and folders you can see; this does not affect the f/w. You will then have to recreate the folder structure that's used (you can see it in your FAT view, but it's also described in the manual. A future release of f/w will automatically create the default folder structure after formatting, as is now done on the DM41X.
--bob p

DM42: β00071 & 00282, DM41X: β00071 & 00656, DM10L: 071/100
Jvi

Post by Jvi »

Thank you :D
Jvi

Post by Jvi »

Tried formatting, and loading the contents into the FAT disc.
Worked like a dream. I did not even have to load the state file.
:D :D :D :D :D