Ergonomic issues with LCLBL / custom keys

Post here to share useful tips and tricks, to ask questions about using your DM42 or to report software-related problems
Peet

Ergonomic issues with LCLBL / custom keys

Post by Peet »

The switch between LCLBL and Custom keys to access the custom keys again after using a program with LCLBL seems unnecessarily complicated to me. The easiest ways to return to Custom seems: "shift assign exit" (or the regular way: "shift modes down keyasn").

I can't think of any useful need for LCLBL outside programs. Why does CUSTOM leaves this status when called from outside a program? The only reason seems to annoy the user. On the other hand, I can't think of a good reason to have LCLBL off in programs which uses local label A-J. The 41 does this better an recognizes it automatically.

On the DM42 it would make sense to assign the unused F3 key with a direct access to the Custom-Menu (without the additional need to switch LCLBL off). That would make things a lot easier without a downside (e.g. compatibility to Free or HP42).

Or did I miss something? Is there an easy way to turn LCLBL on/off?
My programmable calculators - former: CBM PR100, HP41CV, HP28S, HP11C - current: HP48G(+), HP35S, DM41X, DM42