How to append prgs. to existing prgs without key in them?

Post here to share useful tips and tricks, to ask questions about using your DM42 or to report software-related problems
peacecalc

How to append prgs. to existing prgs without key in them?

Post by peacecalc »

Hello all,

the headlines shows what I don't know. I've tried to load a program to existing programs via USB-file, because I'm a lazy-bone. The new programs are in memory, but the older ones are gone.

Of course there is a working around, I store the older ones translate them into clear-text, append the new programs in clear-text, translate them into a raw-file and load this on my DM42. I only want to know if there is a faster way for reaching the same result?

Thank you in advance for sharing your time and knowledge.
grsbanks

Re: How to append prgs. to existing prgs without key in them?

Post by grsbanks »

Loading a program into memory does not erase the others already there.

Loading a state file does replace everything.

Copywhatever .raw files (program files) you want over to the PROGRAMS directory of the FAT drive, disconnect, and then [Shift] SETUP >> File >> Load Program.

https://www.swissmicros.com/dm42/doc/dm ... ad_program
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.
IonX

Post by IonX »

peacecalc wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:32 pm
Hello all,

the headlines shows what I don't know. I've tried to load a program to existing programs via USB-file, because I'm a lazy-bone. The new programs are in memory, but the older ones are gone.

Of course there is a working around, I store the older ones translate them into clear-text, append the new programs in clear-text, translate them into a raw-file and load this on my DM42. I only want to know if there is a faster way for reaching the same result?

Thank you in advance for sharing your time and knowledge.
Hi,

Not sure if this is what you want, but you can append a RAW prgm to another RAW prgm already in the program menu list. By removing or adding LBL/END to your program.

For example:

There are two types of .END. and END in every program. The 1st .END. is the very 1st program on your menu list, ie. when you press XEQ or when you create a new RAW program or load new RAW program. It will show .END. at the end of your program. You cannot get rid of .END. But you can with END

To append a program with END to .END. just delete the END If you want it back just add END

ie.

LBL "P2"
"P2"
.END.

LBL "P1"
"P1
END

If you delete the END on "P1", "P2" will join on "P1"

LBL "P1"
"P1"
LBL "P2"
"P2"
.END.

And delete LBL "P2" it becomes:

LBL "P1"
"P1"
"P2"
.END.

Same goes for other program on your menu list. i.e. If you want to add your 3rd program to your 2nd program on the menu list then delete the END on 2nd program and it join together.

Hope this help.
peacecalc

Post by peacecalc »

Hello all,

@grsbanks: thank you for your hint. The fact is if I loaded two raw-files, at first I only see the last programs which are loaded at last, if I key in "shift" + "program".

Since the two raw files ended with "END" and ".END." like @IonX: pointed out, you can only see in "program"-mode, that part regulary which ended with ".END." For seeing the other programs you need "shift"+"GTO" in calc-mode and choosing the program you want to see in "program"-mode. If you now switch to "program" you see this program, you have choosen that way.

@IonX: I tried your tip and it works, thank you! Now I have the two files in one file if I store the program memory in an USB-file.
DA74254

Post by DA74254 »

If you hit shift + catalog ("+" at lower right corner) you'll see all loaded programs under the "pgm" menu (second item on the list)
Esben
DM42 SN: 00245
grsbanks

Post by grsbanks »

peacecalc wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:45 am
@grsbanks: thank you for your hint. The fact is if I loaded two raw-files, at first I only see the last programs which are loaded at last, if I key in "shift" + "program".
Of course you can. You can only edit one program at a time. Unlike older calculators where all of the program steps are together in one area, in the HP-41C and HP-42S (and therefore in their SwissMicros counterparts) each program has its own individual area.

You can "GTO" another program that is in memory and edit that one instead. If you have the HP-42S manual already, all of this is covered in it. If you don't then it is readily available online, albeit maybe not in French. This is not covered in the DM42 manual on the SwissMicros site because it is not something that's specific to the DM42.

Honestly, please read the manual.
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.
PierreMengisen

Post by PierreMengisen »

grsbanks wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:00 am
online, albeit maybe not in French
Oui, il existe un pdf en français. "The Museum of HP Calculators" 42smdu.pdf P118 on y trouve la gestion des "END" et".END."

There is a pdf in French. P118 it contains the management of "END" and ".END."
Pierre
[TI59 with PC100C; TI-84 Plus CE-T; HP41CV with HP IL loop & 2*82161A DCD & 82162 TP; HP15C; HP28S; DM41; DM41L; DM42; DM41X]
akaTB

Post by akaTB »

PierreMengisen wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:38 pm
grsbanks wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:00 am
online, albeit maybe not in French
Oui, il existe un pdf en français. "The Museum of HP Calculators" 42smdu.pdf P118 on y trouve la gestion des "END" et".END."

There is a pdf in French. P118 it contains the management of "END" and ".END."
But that is not
readily available online
unless you buy it.
And that is what I wholeheartedly recommend...

Furthermore, why french? Isn't peacecalc from Germany?
Greetings,
    Massimo
ajcaton
-+×÷ left is right and right is wrong :twisted: Casted in gold
PierreMengisen

Post by PierreMengisen »

akaTB wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:58 pm
unless you buy it.
And that is what I wholeheartedly recommend...
You are right. But to help a little: here are these two pages in GER
Z118-119.png
Z118-119.png (202.09 KiB) Viewed 869 times
...so buy HP Museum would be a very good idea ;)
Pierre
[TI59 with PC100C; TI-84 Plus CE-T; HP41CV with HP IL loop & 2*82161A DCD & 82162 TP; HP15C; HP28S; DM41; DM41L; DM42; DM41X]
peacecalc

Post by peacecalc »

Hello friends,

thank you all for your hints an remarks!
I was able to append two programs into one file and to load more files from the USB-drive into the program memory of the DM42.
I thought, I communicated that in my last post, but your reactions show afterwards that I overestimated my knowledge in English. Sorry for that, I didn't want to waste anybodys time. I will do my very best to improve my English (that sound not very English, hmmm...), it is better that I stop my writing here. :lol: :roll: