Can't install LibUSB on Windows 10

Post here to share useful tips and tricks, to ask questions about using your DM42 or to report software-related problems
cappy

Re: Can't install LibUSB on Windows 10

Post by cappy »

Well, thanks, but How am I supposed to know that? Why is it still online then?
DM42 SN: 0612
Geoff Quickfall

Post by Geoff Quickfall »

Why is it still on line?

Still on line as it is required if an update to the newer system has not been made.

That is there was a version xxx.xx that, from beta to that version, required the old method. There may still be existing units that have a version between beta and xxx.xx out there.

Once version yyy.yy was created with the new method of loading and upgrading, it had to be loaded via the old method but all subsequent uploads do not.

How am I supposed to know that?

By asking the question about loading and failing as you did. A much more involved way is to review all the emails or do a search, both of which are subject to errors.

Cheers Geoff
Last edited by Geoff Quickfall on Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
rprosperi

Post by rprosperi »

Geoff Quickfall wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:09 am
Why is it still on line?

Still on line as it is required if an update to the newer system has not been made.

That is there was a versions xxx.xx that from beta to that version required the old method. There may still be existing units that have a version between beta and xxx.xx out there.

Once version yyy.yy was created with the new method of loading and upgrading, it had to be loaded via the old method but all subsequent uploads do not.

How am I supposed to know that?

By asking the question about loading and failing as you did. A much more involved way is to review all the emails or do a search, both of which are subject to errors.

Cheers Geoff
All that AND a lot of people still prefer the older method. If you've already used and understand the original dm_tool method, it's easier to use and faster than the copy_image_file_to_FAT method. Choices are good.
--bob p

DM42: β00071 & 00282, DM41X: β00071 & 00656, DM10L: 071/100
cappy

Post by cappy »

>> If you've already used and understand the original dm_tool method,
Yes, but given that I only update the FW a few times a year, I don't remember how to do it, go to the FW update section, then have problems.
dlachieze

Post by dlachieze »

cappy wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:11 am
>> If you've already used and understand the original dm_tool method,
Yes, but given that I only update the FW a few times a year, I don't remember how to do it, go to the FW update section, then have problems.
Well, if you go to the FW update section it's documented that's since FW 3.5 the preferred update method is by copying firmware file to calculator FAT disk. This is the method used in the Quick Update Guide, the first link at the beginning of the section.

I'm not sure why you find the instructions confusing, but if you have any suggestion on how to improve the FW update section it could benefit to other people.
DM42: 00425 - DM41X: β00066 - WP43: 00042
cappy

Post by cappy »

dlachieze wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:49 am
I'm not sure why you find the instructions confusing, but if you have any suggestion on how to improve the FW update section it could benefit to other people.
I can't remember how I got there, but I always end up at the section which refers to using DMTool, instead of copying to the USB drive.
Also, my calculator was not showing up as an external drive on my Windows laptop. That's probably the main reason I ended up using dmtool