DM42 arrived today! Stack layout?

Post here to share useful tips and tricks, to ask questions about using your DM42 or to report software-related problems
jonmoore

Re: DM42 arrived today! Stack layout?

Post by jonmoore »

Walter wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 7:40 pm
Once again: How shall we know what the poster meant as long as we could only read what he wrote? :?
Yet again it seems I've done something to offend your sensibilities Walter, but being precise about what I originally wrote, it was clear that I was discussing an issue relating to Linux OS distributions.

Most Linux user's are a shade more technical than the average Windows or macOS user (the operating system does less hand holding, so the increased technical knowledge is requisite). On that basis it's more likely that they're aware of the underlying render engine in Chrome; and I explicitly mentioned that the problem I was encountering was a Linux operating system. It's not usual to have to point out the specifics of the hardware as this is less relevant (or the flavour of Linux as the lions share of OS flavours are derived from Denbian). The fact that non Linux users digressed from my original question is something which is outside of my control (I of course have no problem with those digressions, if anything some people learnt a titbit or two from said digressions and that's only ever a good thing).
ijabbott

Post by ijabbott »

jonmoore wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 12:05 pm
Talking of Linux. Does anybody else find that certain forum pages crash Chromium? I've had to install Firefox on all my Linux boxes simply so I can view the SM forum glitch free. I suspect that it's something to do with certain image embeds.

It's no biggie as I have a workaround, but the behaviour is something I only encounter on the SM forum.
I use Google Chrome on an x86-64 Debian Linux machine and haven't encountered any problems on the SM forum.
jonmoore

Post by jonmoore »

ijabbott wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:02 am

I use Google Chrome on an x86-64 Debian Linux machine and haven't encountered any problems on the SM forum.
Thanks @ijabbott, that's the info I was looking for. It seems the problem is isolated to the version of Chromium that's compiled for ARM processors (all Raspberry Pi's utilise ARM processors). I've now reported the problem to the relevant parties (I also double checked against both Ubuntu and Mint Linux distributions for Intel processors).
ijabbott

Post by ijabbott »

jonmoore wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:31 am
ijabbott wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:02 am

Thanks @ijabbott, that's the info I was looking for. It seems the problem is isolated to the version of Chromium that's compiled for ARM processors (all Raspberry Pi's utilise ARM processors). I've now reported the problem to the relevant parties (I also double checked against both Ubuntu and Mint Linux distributions for Intel processors).
Does it still happen from a "Guest" browser window? (Click the user icon in the top right corner and select "Guest".) That will have all the extensions disabled.
jonmoore

Post by jonmoore »

ijabbott wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:47 pm

Does it still happen from a "Guest" browser window? (Click the user icon in the top right corner and select "Guest".) That will have all the extensions disabled.
Yes it's one of the first tests I tried.

As a side note, I've set up my Linux Arm Chromium units to use minimal extensions anyway. I mainly only utilise extensions on those units that relate to privacy - uBlock Origin, uMatrix. Quick JavaScript Switcher, Privacy Badger, Popup Blocker Pro, PixelBlock and DuckDuckGo Privacy. And on forum sites such as the SM forum I disable all privacy related extensions as I trust the site to be run in a responsible manner. I never use all privacy extensions on all websites but over time I've worked out the most apt privacy extension per site - some sites destroy the user experience when ad blocking technologies are used, so you have to be a little more cunning with the strategy you employ, e.g. using extensions like uMatrix (great granular control) and Privacy Badger (far less well known than extensions like Ublock but created by the best in the business - the Electronic Frontier Foundation); plus my cookies get cleaned weekly.

Other extensions which may be utilised on an adhoc basis are as follows:

Pinboard Plus - I use this for all my bookmarking
Pinboard Search - I pay for the premium account, which indexes the full page content of said bookmarks.
Reader View - Because Google still don't provide a decent Reader by default
DarkReader - See above, Google likes to blind me at night!
Tab Activate - I use 'right click, open in new tab' most of the time, and this ensures the tab is selected automatically
The Great Suspender - I use my browser for a lot of work related research so I'll occasionally have many tabs open. This extension pauses them after a short time and frees the memory - a really important extension on Raspberry Pi's where you only have 4 Gb of RAM.
Unpaywall - checks if academic papers are available without the paywall elsewhere.
h264ify - ensures that YouTube and other video sites stream at the most optimum format for browsers with low OS RAM.
Google Docs Offline - Self explanatory
Google Dictionary - Self explanatory
Google Translate - Self explanatory
Google Calendar - Self explanatory

I separately monitor processor temperature, processor utilisation, and available RAM live and ensure that any Raspberry Pi never goes above 50% RAM utilisation, and that the temperature never goes above 75% (they each employ FanShim cooling).

But as mentioned originally, I tend to use a minimal extension strategy on my Pi's and enable/disable at point of need.

Over 50% of my work relates to web development and kiosk deployment (e.g. brand communication stuff in car showrooms and suchlike) so I'm pretty on the button when it comes to badly behaved Chrome extensions. Some advise not using Chrome on privacy rationale grounds, but as long as you know available tools to employ, I find that the great things about Chrome outweigh the bad. And many of these tools Google provide themselves, it's simply a matter of user deployment.
svarre69

Post by svarre69 »

Try also reading the user manual for the HP 15C calculator, section 3 page 32 about the automatic memory stack.

There is a very good illustration on how the memory stack works, and lifting and dropping is explained very well with fine examples.

The HP manuals not only explaines the calculator functions. They are also covered with very fine examples, that explains the logic very well.

All the best
Peter.