The unused top function key

Post here to share useful tips and tricks, to ask questions about using your DM42 or to report software-related problems
pica

The unused top function key

Post by pica »

How hard would it be to make the unused F3 key a single press shortcut to the custom menu? Or is there a plan for it in the pipeline? Even better but harder to implement would be to make it universally assignable to any function, program or variable I like.
HP50G HP35s Free42 DM42.
Testing WP43S, C43.
ljubo

Re: The unused top function key

Post by ljubo »

I would go even further - current assignment of (at least for me) not frequently used functions to the top 6 keys is a waste - I would move current functionality into the setup menu. This would make place for permanent assignment of 12 user defined functions to 6 keyes.

The 2nd raw could behave like in the original calculator further extending customizability.

Strong menu-oriented operation of 42 is in my opinion a weak point that can be easily improved by customizable function keys.
HP-15C, DM15L, HP-35S, DM42
Peet

Post by Peet »

It's a shame that this idea was never taken up.

Even a simple solution would be a dream, for example, if F3 was assigned to e fixed program, e.g. F3 executes XEQ USER.
In this way, many user requests could be fulfilled and some deficiencies of the DM42 could be improved without great effort.

As user, you could then store a program that creates a desired output status (flag, modes, disp, ...), create a menu that does various tasks (e.g. task-related custom keys) or assign your favorite/most used Programm.

For me, for example, the DM42 has a design flaw that makes the use of HP-41 programs very annoying. Switching between LCLBL and CUSTOM really spoils the fun of using HP-41 programs.

The HP-42S did not have this problem because you had to type in an HP-41 program by hand. This means that you only have to specifically use these programs and, if necessary, adapt them to the HP-42S (e.g. Custom / Menus instead of local labels) before typing them in. However, The DM42 on the other hand can use HP-41 RAWs and there are thousands of this programs, but due to the lack of a simple return to its personal 42 mode, many of these programs are not much fun and the usable compatibility is unnecessarily limited.

Unfortunately, according to the announcement, the development of the DMCP has been discontinued, so that no improvement can be expected here. Pity!
My programmable calculators - former: CBM PR100, HP41CV, HP28S, HP11C - current: HP48G(256kB), HP35S, Prime, DM41X, DM42
ljubo

Post by ljubo »

DM42pcm firmware mod is addressing some of problems - see https://github.com/ljubo106/DM42pcm and “Third Party firmware builds” forum.
Peet

Post by Peet »

ljubo wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 2:02 pm
DM42pcm firmware mod is addressing some of problems - see https://github.com/ljubo106/DM42pcm and “Third Party firmware builds” forum.
That seems to be a noticeable improvement, but unfortunately finds its limit when using more than one custom menu.

Unfortunately, there is no possibility of calling up your own program, menu or setting via a hotkey with the DM42, but it has an F-Key that remains a dummy, that's sad.
My programmable calculators - former: CBM PR100, HP41CV, HP28S, HP11C - current: HP48G(256kB), HP35S, Prime, DM41X, DM42
ljubo

Post by ljubo »

Peet wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 12:40 pm
ljubo wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 2:02 pm
That seems to be a noticeable improvement, but unfortunately finds its limit when using more than one custom menu.

Unfortunately, there is no possibility of calling up your own program, menu or setting via a hotkey with the DM42, but it has an F-Key that remains a dummy, that's sad.
What do you mean with "no possibility of calling up your own program" - one can assign labels to custom keys, and also what "dummy F-Key" you are referring to?
Peet

Post by Peet »

ljubo wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 3:16 pm
... what "dummy F-Key" you are referring to?
The one in the title of this thread.

I use various CUSTOM menus on the DM42, for "daily use" one with my most important programs and frequently used functions, one for program input with LBL, RTN, SF, CF etc. and sometimes task-related functions.

Programs sometimes leave the computer in an undefined state (e.g. undesired FLAG settings, CLKY, LCLBL).

In this case I start a small program that puts the computer back in my preferred state, but there is no quick and easy way to do this on the DM42.

On the 41 I always had this small program on the USER key "shift-clx", but on the 42 there is no "quick" way to start a certain program.

Your firmware shows the custom instead of the F-buttons, this is an improvement if the calculator is in a defined status, but if a program has executed CLKY or uses LCLBL then it does not help much.

On the DM42 the F-3 Button is a dummy/empty key, F-3 and shift F-3 are not assigned. If these would execute defined programs instead (eg. XEQ DM or XEQ F3 ...), the user could key in a program with this name that establishes the defined status or shows a personal menu or starts his favorite program.

But development of DMCP was stopped so there is not much hope to get a solution for this and we stuck on an empty key instead.
rprosperi

Post by rprosperi »

Peet wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 5:03 pm
I use various CUSTOM menus on the DM42, for "daily use" one with my most important programs and frequently used functions, one for program input with LBL, RTN, SF, CF etc. and sometimes task-related functions.

Programs sometimes leave the computer in an undefined state (e.g. undesired FLAG settings, CLKY, LCLBL).

In this case I start a small program that puts the computer back in my preferred state, but there is no quick and easy way to do this on the DM42.
Why not just assigning your small 'reset' program to one of the top-level custom keys, so it's always available with 2 keystrokes? While that is admittedly one more than one keystroke, it's still pretty convenient.
--bob p

DM42: β00071 & 00282, DM41X: β00071 & 00656, DM10L: 071/100
Peet

Post by Peet »

rprosperi wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 7:34 pm
Why not just assigning your small 'reset' program to one of the top-level custom keys, so it's always available with 2 keystrokes? While that is admittedly one more than one keystroke, it's still pretty convenient.
see: CLKY, LCLBL
ljubo

Post by ljubo »

Peet - how many keystrokes you need to start your “reset all“ program? I assume 4: shift-catalog-pgm-myreset (I‘m not DM42 power-programming user, so, still not sure if I correctly understand your use case).
If I would add a call of hardcoded „DM42F3“ user program to my firmaware mod, one would still need 3 keystrokes: shift-custom-F3.