Persistent Hard Fault

Post here to share useful tips and tricks, to ask questions about using your DM42 or to report software-related problems
DaveGary

Persistent Hard Fault

Post by DaveGary »

In the past several months my DM42 does a hard fault nearly every time I turn it on. I get a “QSPI checking” prompt then the calculator goes to the “About” screen. I hit Enter and the everything is cleared and the prompt at the top of the calculator screen says “Memory Cleared”. Of course, my programs are gone and I have to reload them from the “File” menu. This has been happening quite a bit. Has anyone else had this problem? I haven’t abused the calculator in any way. I’ve never dropped it. I’ve updated to the latest version of ROM every time I see an update posted in the hopes that this will clear up the problem. It hasn’t. I update the ROM and the problem persists. Does anyone have any advise on this? It’s pretty hard to mess up the update procedure now that they can be loaded from the USB disk.
Thomas_ER

Re: Persistent Hard Fault

Post by Thomas_ER »

Please contact Michael from SwissMicros, he is also here in the forum.
[ HP48/49/50/42S/WP34/HP Prime/ DM42 (#00185+00318) ]
Thomas_ER

Post by Thomas_ER »

DaveGary wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:17 am
In the past several months my DM42 does a hard fault nearly every time I turn it on. I get a “QSPI checking” prompt then the calculator goes to the “About” screen. I hit Enter and the everything is cleared and the prompt at the top of the calculator screen says “Memory Cleared”. Of course, my programs are gone and I have to reload them from the “File” menu. This has been happening quite a bit. Has anyone else had this problem? I haven’t abused the calculator in any way. I’ve never dropped it. I’ve updated to the latest version of ROM every time I see an update posted in the hopes that this will clear up the problem. It hasn’t. I update the ROM and the problem persists. Does anyone have any advise on this? It’s pretty hard to mess up the update procedure now that they can be loaded from the USB disk.
Hello Dave,
I don't see answers from other users or fr4om swissmicros to your problem report.
Did you contact swissmicros additionally direct (via PM or other mail)?
Did you get any answers, or did you find some solutions for your self?
greetings, Thomas
[ HP48/49/50/42S/WP34/HP Prime/ DM42 (#00185+00318) ]
DaveGary

Post by DaveGary »

Thomas,

I e-mailed Michael as per your suggestion. He got back with me very quickly and we discussed the problem. I reloaded everything and thought I had the problem solved. I told Michael I thought I had the problem solved. However, the next day, the same thing started happening. I use this calculator quite a bit at work and decided to program a DM41 to take over the bulk of my work-related calculations. I still carried the DM42, but didn’t use it much for work-related tasks. I still kept doing different tests and formats to ascertain the problem when I had the time. One thing I found was that the calculator seemed to do the hard faults more frequently with programs loaded than not. Also, I noticed the battery indicator would register about 1/2 capacity on startup, but quickly revert to full status after a couple of calculations. Michael asked about the battery and I told him I thought it was fine. At this time, I’m not so sure the battery was not the problem (easy fix, I should have replaced the battery right off), but I just replaced the battery and loaded the full complement of programs I use. If the calculator goes the next couple of days with no faults I think the problem may have been a low battery. I’m hoping this is the case. I’m keeping my fingers crossed. If, after several month’s use, I encounter the same problem I’ll know what the problem is and replace the battery. I often miss the simplest of things.

Thanks for checking on the status of my problem. Honestly, I’ve been so busy I forgot about the changing the calculator’s battery until I read this last post. I went and got a small screwdriver, took off the back plate of the DM42 and replaced the battery. If I have no problems in the next few days I’ll consider the problem solved.

Again, thanks.

Dave
revwillie

Post by revwillie »

this has started to happen to my beta unit. However, when I press "Exit", my last saved state is loaded and I don't even have to set the date or time. It's a little bit annoying, but I'm not having to spend any time recovering from it.
DM42 SN: 00076
DM15, HP 28c, HP 12c, HP 10b, HP 20b, HP 30b, HP 17bII, HP 42s, HP 35s, WP 34s, NP-25, TI-83+, teenix multicalc
DaveGary

Post by DaveGary »

I’ve gone all this time (since December 15th) with no hard faults. The problem with the hard faults was a low battery.

Dave
revwillie

Post by revwillie »

Yes, I agree. A fresh battery stopped the faults on start up.

When I get a chance, I'll try soldering the bridge across C1 and C3 as described previously for beta units viewtopic.php?f=5&t=230
DM42 SN: 00076
DM15, HP 28c, HP 12c, HP 10b, HP 20b, HP 30b, HP 17bII, HP 42s, HP 35s, WP 34s, NP-25, TI-83+, teenix multicalc