DM42 Firmware V3.3 available

This is where announcements of official firmware updates provided by SwissMicros for the DM42 calculator will be made.

Please do not post bug reports here. The Usage tips, tricks and problem reports forum is there for that.

Please do not post notices of third party firmware builds here, they will be deleted. Instead, please use the Third Party firmware builds forum for this purpose.
grsbanks

DM42 Firmware V3.3 available

Post by grsbanks »

Those of you who received DM42 units from the February batch will have received them with firmware V3.3 installed. Just so others aren't left behind, here are that firmware and its release notes.

Release notes
  • Modification of date/time settings dialogs
  • Day increment problem fixed
  • Prevent Help/Setup while program is running
  • Added warning note to USB FAT disk screen
  • Jump out of USB FAT disk mode now requires confirmation
  • Changed LCD saving at power-down
  • Partial input formatting fixed
  • QSPI low-battery protection
  • Force manual RESET after flashing
  • Free42 V2.0.11
Modification of date/time settings dialogs

Both the date and time setting dialogs have been altered to include incrementing and decrementing all of the values.

CLK12 and CLK24 functions are still visible on the F1 soft key in the time settings dislog. There is a corresponding DMY and MDY toggle in the date settings dialog, it's just not visible on-screen. Press [Σ+] to toggle between DMY and MDY modes.

Cycling through the days of the month in the date settings dialog no longer causes the month to be incremented if you go past the last date in the month.

[EXIT] will take you out of the settings page abandoning any changes made with the exception of CLK12/CLK24 and DMY/MDY, which are retained regardless. Press [ENTER] to save any other changes made.

Day increment problem fixed

If the DM42 was on at midnight and the date in the status bar, that date would not advance to the next day when passing midnight.

This has now been fixed.

Prevent Help/Setup while program is running

[F1] and [SHIFT][SETUP] would still operate while a program is running, with undesirable side-effects.

This has now been corrected and the DM42 does not respond to these keys while running a program.

Warning note on USB FAT disk screen

A warning now appears on the DM42's screen when in FAT Disk mode encouraging you to use your operating system's "Eject" function to unmount the flash drive before physically disconnecting the calculator in order to prevent loss and/or corruption of data.

Confirmation to jump out of USB FAT disk mode

Following on from the previous point, if you do use the [EXIT] button to sever the USB connection, you are asked to press [ENTER] to confirm that you really want to do this.

Changed LCD saving at power-down

If the DM42 is in high-resolution graphics mode when it is powered down, it has to save the LCD buffer somewhere. Until now, the calculator was saving a bitmap file called GROFFIMG.BMP in the SCREENS/ directory. It no longer does that as it saves the LCD buffer to RAM.

Partial input formatting fixed

Until now, if you were to enter the SETUP screen or power the DM42 off when you were halfway through entering a number into the stack, upon returning to the stack you would see the number as it was entered thus far formatted according to the display settings in force until you continued typing it, at which point the display would revert to the expected format.

This no longer happens. The partially typed number is now as you would expect it to be when you return to the stack display and you can carry on where you left off.

QSPI low-battery protection

Writing to the QSPI chip requires a significant amount of power. There is now a protection in place that prevents the following operations if the battery voltage is too low (below 2.2V):
  • Save program
  • Save state file
  • Format FAT drive
Force manual RESET after flashing

Straight after flashing firmware, you now have to press the RESET button on the rear of the calculator. While this may seem like a step backwards, the fact of the matter is that a software-induced reset doesn't clean things up as efficiently as a hardware reset.

Free42 V2.0.11

The version of Free42 embedded in the DM42's firmware was updated from V2.0.8 to V2.0.11.

Improvements in Free42 between the two versions can be seen on the project's history page at http://thomasokken.com/free42/history.html

Update procedure

Download DM42_flash_3.3.bin and follow instructions in the manual

SHA1 Checksum

9271a4e90ba664c504f5b248e1d39d14cebd67a6 DM42_flash_3.3.bin
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.
rprosperi

Re: DM42 Firmware V3.3 available

Post by rprosperi »

Smooth and quick update, as always. Thanks for these nice changes!

Now I'm off to explore them...

I expect to hear a Hooray all the way from Vancouver when Geoff sees the new Date/Time settings.

Who will be the first to post a note saying they had an unexpected problem after the update completed, requiring a pinned reset??
--bob p

DM42: β00071 & 00282, DM41X: β00071 & 00656, DM10L: 071/100
revwillie

Post by revwillie »

rprosperi wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:07 pm

Who will be the first to post a note saying they had an unexpected problem after the update completed, requiring a pinned reset??
anybody need a paperclip? I'm happy that I didn't have to reformat the FAT drive. Trying to find time now to try out some of the programs that were recently uploaded.
DM42 SN: 00076
DM15, HP 28c, HP 12c, HP 10b, HP 20b, HP 30b, HP 17bII, HP 42s, HP 35s, WP 34s, NP-25, TI-83+, teenix multicalc
akaTB

Post by akaTB »

rprosperi wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:07 pm
Smooth and quick update, as always. Thanks for these nice changes!
Indeed. Thank you.
Greetings,
    Massimo
ajcaton
-+×÷ left is right and right is wrong :twisted: Casted in gold
Geoff Quickfall

Post by Geoff Quickfall »

HOORAY

:D
rprosperi

Post by rprosperi »

Hey, I think I just heard Geoff...
--bob p

DM42: β00071 & 00282, DM41X: β00071 & 00656, DM10L: 071/100
toml_12953

Post by toml_12953 »

It happened again! I updated my production unit then I had to run inf-wizard.exe again to update the USB driver before DM Tool would see my Beta unit. My Beta and Production units have different USB hardware IDs. Both units work fine after the update so I know it worked OK for both.
Tom L

Some people call me inept but I'm as ept as anybody!
DM10L SN: 059/100
DM41X SN: 00023 (Beta)
DM41X SN: 00506 (Shipping)
DM42 SN: 00025 (Beta)
DM42 SN: 00221 (Shipping)
WP43 SN: 00025 (Prototype)
Geoff Quickfall

Post by Geoff Quickfall »

Update went smoothly!

Nice update, thanks, awaiting my new production version (patiently :D )
Thomas_ER

Post by Thomas_ER »

This time the Auto-Reset after programming the firmware didn't work.
I had to use Reset (paperclip) many times, also re-format USB-disk.
(both units).
Anyone else?
[ HP48/49/50/42S/WP34/HP Prime/ DM42 (#00185+00318) ]
keithdalby

Post by keithdalby »

We have a winner!