DM42 Firmware V3.1 available

This is where announcements of official firmware updates provided by SwissMicros for the DM42 calculator will be made.

Please do not post bug reports here. The Usage tips, tricks and problem reports forum is there for that.

Please do not post notices of third party firmware builds here, they will be deleted. Instead, please use the Third Party firmware builds forum for this purpose.
Thomas Okken

Re: DM42 Firmware V3.1 available

Post by Thomas Okken »

Download flash.sh.zip from my previous post and unzip it. Put the flash.sh file somewhere convenient, say, $HOME/DM42.

Put the DM42_flash_X.Y.bin file in the same directory.

Then, open a terminal, and do this:

$ cd $HOME/DM42
$ ./flash.sh

If you create the flash.sh file yourself, instead of getting it from the zip file, you'll have to make it executable first, before you can run it:

$ chmod +x flash.sh

Note: the $ above means: "at the shell prompt, do the following" (i.e. type this, then press Enter); that's a common idiom in Unix how-to guides.
Vitasam

Post by Vitasam »

I'm trying the latest HELP file (I've created HELP folder and copied index.htm there).

Do links suppose to work when pressing ENTER button? Nothing happens in my case, what I can do is to scroll up and down by pressing arrow buttons.
Walter

Post by Walter »

Vitasam wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:30 pm
I'm trying the latest HELP file (I've created HELP folder and copied index.htm there).

Do links suppose to work when pressing ENTER button? Nothing happens in my case, what I can do is to scroll up and down by pressing arrow buttons.
There is information about navigation next to the top of this file.
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041
Vitasam

Post by Vitasam »

Walter wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:29 pm
Vitasam wrote:

From the top of this file:
Press ENTER to jump to selected link
For example, I selected the menu item Storage. It works from the browser, but when I press ENTER on DM42, nothing happens.
Walter

Post by Walter »

Walter wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:29 pm
Vitasam wrote:

BTW, I think the use of the arrows ^and v within the help file is way counter-intuitive. Opening said file, I press arrow down to see more - and then I'm informed about the assignment of keys. Alternative suggestion:
  • Press ^ to move 1 line backward.
  • Press v to move 1 line forward.
  • Press / to move 1 page backward.
  • Press x to move 1 page forward.
  • Press - to select previous link.
  • Press + to select next link.
  • Press ENTER or XEQ to jump to selected link.
  • Press EXIT or F1 to exit help.
  • Press F2 to jump to Contents.
(Edited to correct a typo.)
Last edited by Walter on Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041
Walter

Post by Walter »

Vitasam wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:33 pm
For example, I selected the menu item Storage. It works from the browser, but when I press ENTER on DM42, nothing happens.
Works like a charm on my DM42 Beta. :D What's different on yours?? :?
Vitasam

Post by Vitasam »

Walter wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:43 pm
Vitasam wrote:
Good question! Neither ENTER no XEQ do work for me :(
Maybe I will download "an official" zip help file from web-site, not 'save as' from the browser.

UPDATE:
This is from zip HELP file:

Code: Select all

<ul>
			<li><a href="#Using_Menus">Menus</a></li>
			<li><a href="#Memory">Storage</a></li>
			<li><a href="#Data_Types">Data Types</a></li>
This is from the LATEST file I've downloaded from the browser:

<ul>
			<li><a href="https://www.swissmicros.com/dm42/fat/HELP/latest/#Using_Menus">Menus</a></li>
			<li><a href="https://www.swissmicros.com/dm42/fat/HELP/latest/#Memory">Storage</a></li>
			<li><a href="https://www.swissmicros.com/dm42/fat/HELP/latest/#Data_Types">Data Types</a></li>
Needless to say that it works now :)
Walter

Post by Walter »

Vitasam wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:48 pm
Walter wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:43 pm
Vitasam wrote:

Good question! Neither ENTER no XEQ do work for me :(
Watch it! My wishlist above is not the official navigation (yet)!

Glad you found the difference. :)
rprosperi

Post by rprosperi »

Vitasam wrote:
Maybe I will download "an official" zip help file from web-site, not 'save as' from the browser.
Yes, always use the original file from SM, or if you choose to modify it, do so using only a text editor, not a WYSIWYG html editor; although the file is names an HTML file, it is a special version with only limited tags, etc. and a 'normal' browser will modify it in (many) ways it will no longer work.
--bob p

DM42: β00071 & 00282, DM41X: β00071 & 00656, DM10L: 071/100
ijabbott

Post by ijabbott »

Vitasam wrote:
UPDATE:
This is from zip HELP file:

<ul>
			<li><a href="#Using_Menus">Menus</a></li>
			<li><a href="#Memory">Storage</a></li>
			<li><a href="#Data_Types">Data Types</a></li>
This is from the LATEST file I've downloaded from the browser:

<ul>
			<li><a href="https://www.swissmicros.com/dm42/fat/HELP/latest/#Using_Menus">Menus</a></li>
			<li><a href="https://www.swissmicros.com/dm42/fat/HELP/latest/#Memory">Storage</a></li>
			<li><a href="https://www.swissmicros.com/dm42/fat/HELP/latest/#Data_Types">Data Types</a></li>
EDIT: Rewrote it. :)

Yes, if you display a web page in Chrome, then right-click on the page and save it, it will convert the relative links to absolute links that the calculator cannot follow. :(

It is better to right-click on the link and save it, as it won't convert the relative URLs to absolute URLs that way. Preferably, the link should be to the actual index.htm file like this, rather than to the directory, as it has an index.htm filename ready to save to in the former case (unless the download directory already has an index.htm, in which case a number will be added to the filename).