DM42 Firmware V3.1 available

This is where announcements of official firmware updates provided by SwissMicros for the DM42 calculator will be made.

Please do not post bug reports here. The Usage tips, tricks and problem reports forum is there for that.

Please do not post notices of third party firmware builds here, they will be deleted. Instead, please use the Third Party firmware builds forum for this purpose.
Jeff O.

Re: DM42 Firmware V3.1 available

Post by Jeff O. »

jfb9301 wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:14 pm
(I'm sure your libusb instructions are the same, but these were the ones I followed) https://www.swissmicros.com/dm42/doc/libusb_install/
Yes, those look the same.
jfb9301 wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:14 pm
If you have a Beta model, you have a BOOT0 button on the back (similar to RESET), if you have a Production model, you have to use menus to access the bootloader. @Michael, you might want to update Step 4 of the instructions to reflect this.
Prior to step 4 I did not have the DM42 connected, during step 4 I connected it and keyed the sequence [SETUP}, [4], [2], [1], to set bootloader mode (just read the screens as you type the menu selections, it should be obvious). Your device should appear exactly as pictured in the screen shots.

The remainder of the instructions are quite clear.

No, you do not need to update QPSI at this time.
Thanks a lot, that sounds fairly straightforward. I’ll have a go at updating as soon as I get some spare time.
Geoff Quickfall

Post by Geoff Quickfall »

Beta models also have the setup/system/enter/bootloader menu option versus the bootloader pinhole.

Cursor can be used to select appropriate title or the associated number may be used.

- I have updated from beta version one and never used the reset pinhole or the program (PGM) pinhole.

- I have been fortunate and never had to update QSPI.

-my only problem has been with Norton security updates preventing to libusb to run or with a windows update preventing unsecured or unrecognized drivers from being enabled. Both require Administrator intervention through Control Panel (WIN10.x)

- most problems occur with the USB cable not fitting fully into the DM42 or an incorrect or broken USB cable.

I have a windows 10.x (the latest) and use dftool.
Leechpool

Post by Leechpool »

DA74254 wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:26 pm
Hmm, only to ask, and what I vaguely remember; isn't semicolon to be used to avoid disambiguity?
As in "I met with my parents; Jill and Tony" (not mine, just an example), where semicolon is used for statement that is inside one sentence. Thus no need for capital letters as if used colon? (Ok capital letters d.t a name, but) "I left 35c tip; a dime and a quarter", and "You have two choices: Left or right".

Perhaps I'm trampling like an elephant in a glass house here, but beside reading and practicing English, I have not had English lessons in well over 30 years since school.

Btw; I'm a native Norwegian :)
I don't think semicolons should be used like that (happy to be corrected :) ).......I think colons can be used to introduce a list, so "I met with my parents: Jill and Tony" would be acceptable. I think a colon can be used like this even if the list starts with a lower-case character. I don't think semicolons can be used in this way. My understanding is that one use of the semicolon is to separate two complete sentences where the second sentence strongly leads on from the first. Semicolons and colons can both be used for this, with the choice of which depending upon the strength of the link between the sentences.....To be honest, I have a loose grasp of this and am putting this out there in the knowledge that we have some guys who might correct me if I've got this wrong. I get involved in technical writing quite a lot and tend to rewrite things to ensure it's within my comfort zone. I find grammar hard but interesting. It always fascinates me when people get upset because someone breaks a rule they were taught but I like to take comfort in the extent to which grammar is hard wired into people and how the vast majority negotiate most of the complexities with ease. For example, consider a car that is large and red; we naturally call it "a large red car" without even thinking about it. I've never heard someone refer to "a red large car".
:D
keithdalby

Post by keithdalby »

I am a bit late with this one, but I've now updated my DM42, no problems at all. Still a short wish-list, which I'm afraid I'm obnoxious enough to share:

1. I wish the right-aligned underscore in the X-register indicating data input underlined the previously entered digit, so that numerical place values were aligned in ALL mode, rather than it's current behaviour. [Badly formatted sentence: second attempt - when right-aligned and ALL display modes are selected, the place values of the digits in the T-, Z- and Y- register are not the same as the X- register during data input, but are the same after data input. The underscore indicates data input. I wish it was an underline of the previously entered digit instead of an underscore.]

2. I wish there was an option to make the CUSTOM menu the permanent menu, so that one can press EXIT lots and lots of times without exiting out of the CUSTOM menu, unlike the current behaviour.

I love this calculator, and I'm sure all my students are getting sufficiently jealous that maybe they will be motivated to purchase their own.
BarryRittberg

Post by BarryRittberg »

I apologize if this question has been answered previously.
Is it possible to update the firmware using a Mac, and if so, are there step by step instructions available?
Walter

Post by Walter »

BarryRittberg wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:38 am

Is it possible to update the firmware using a Mac, and if so, are there step by step instructions available?
1. Yes, it is.
2. The instructions given in the OP are meant to work for a Mac, too. Though I don't operate one, so I can't assess their quality.
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041
Thomas Okken

Post by Thomas Okken »

Walter wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:20 am
BarryRittberg wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:38 am

1. Yes, it is.
2. The instructions given in the OP are meant to work for a Mac, too. Though I don't operate one, so I can't assess their quality.
Use Homebrew or MacPorts to install dfu-util; for all the other steps, the same instructions apply as for using dfu-util in Windows or Linux. I use a shell script to automate those steps (except for the step of downloading the latest image), so I don't have to type those complicated error-prone commands every time. I'll post that script later, after I've recovered from the NYE festivities.
Thomas Okken

Post by Thomas Okken »

My update procedure on Mac:

1. Download the latest image from https://www.swissmicros.com/dm42/firmware/ -- get the file named DM42_flash_X.Y.bin
2. Run this script (also attached in zipped form, to prevent the forum from messing up spaces and line endings):

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
IMG=`ls DM42_flash_*.bin | tail -1`
dfu-util -D $IMG -d 0483:df11 -a "@Internal Flash  /0x08000000/512*0002Kg" -s 0x8000000
This works for me with the latest MacOS, dfu-util 0.9 from MacPorts, and a DM42 beta unit.
Attachments
flash.sh.zip
(285 Bytes) Downloaded 308 times
BarryRittberg

Post by BarryRittberg »

Is there a document for dfu-util similar to this one?
https://www.swissmicros.com/dm42/doc/libusb_install/
BarryRittberg

Post by BarryRittberg »

Thomas Okken wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:44 pm
My update procedure on Mac:

1. Download the latest image from https://www.swissmicros.com/dm42/firmware/ -- get the file named DM42_flash_X.Y.bin
2. Run this script (also attached in zipped form, to prevent the forum from messing up spaces and line endings):

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
IMG=`ls DM42_flash_*.bin | tail -1`
dfu-util -D $IMG -d 0483:df11 -a "@Internal Flash  /0x08000000/512*0002Kg" -s 0x8000000
This works for me with the latest MacOS, dfu-util 0.9 from MacPorts, and a DM42 beta unit.
Thank you Thomas... very helpful...
I have so much to learn and you got me pointed in the right direction.
I was able to find and install Macports and the dfu-util. Now to summon the courage to proceed.

Continuing I have a couple of questions...
1) When you say "run this script", does that mean to copy the code into the "Terminal" window and press return?
2) Also, in what directory location should I place the DM42_flash_*.bin file ?

Thanks again