UPDATE: DMCP-3.13 / DM42-3.13

This is where announcements of official firmware updates provided by SwissMicros for the DM42 calculator will be made.

Please do not post bug reports here. The Usage tips, tricks and problem reports forum is there for that.

Please do not post notices of third party firmware builds here, they will be deleted. Instead, please use the Third Party firmware builds forum for this purpose.
Dave Britten

Re: UPDATE: DMCP-3.13 / DM42-3.13

Post by Dave Britten »

grsbanks wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:45 pm
  • Flag 64 reflects Shift status
Yessssss, this is fantastic. Going to update right now and enhance some of my programs that can benefit from this.
HPMike

Post by HPMike »

I updated all the way from Version 3.5 to 3.13 by direct FAT disk update using the combined file without any problems and also updated the Help file. I needed two computers to accomplish this feat, an old Win XP desktop computer to copy the files via USB and my brand new Win 10 desktop to download the files from the SM website. The XP computer is no longer connected to the internet and the Win 10 computer does not like unsigned drivers. I had previously been using an old Win 7 laptop to accomplish both tasks, but alas last Friday it gave up its cyber ghost, and I needed to get another computer quickly to finish working on my income taxes. When I asked the salesman if I could somehow get a computer with Win 7 installed, he looked at me as if I were deranged. Microsoft will no longer provide updates or support for Win 7 after January, 2020, even though it is estimated that about 40 percent of PCs worldwide are still using it. No doubt TurboTax will soon drop support for Win 7 as well, so I probably would have needed to jump on the Win 10 bandwagon soon even if my Win 7 laptop hadn't gone tits up.
DM15L, S/N 00548. DM42, SN: 00159. DM41X, SN: 00973. DM32, SN 00054.
ijabbott

Post by ijabbott »

HPMike wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:35 am
I updated all the way from Version 3.5 to 3.13 by direct FAT disk update using the combined file without any problems and also updated the Help file. I needed two computers to accomplish this feat, an old Win XP desktop computer to copy the files via USB and my brand new Win 10 desktop to download the files from the SM website. The XP computer is no longer connected to the internet and the Win 10 computer does not like unsigned drivers. I had previously been using an old Win 7 laptop to accomplish both tasks, but alas last Friday it gave up its cyber ghost, and I needed to get another computer quickly to finish working on my income taxes. When I asked the salesman if I could somehow get a computer with Win 7 installed, he looked at me as if I were deranged. Microsoft will no longer provide updates or support for Win 7 after January, 2020, even though it is estimated that about 40 percent of PCs worldwide are still using it. No doubt TurboTax will soon drop support for Win 7 as well, so I probably would have needed to jump on the Win 10 bandwagon soon even if my Win 7 laptop hadn't gone tits up.
You shouldn't need any special drivers for disk mode, just the standard USB mass storage device drivers. The special drivers are only needed when updating the flash directly in DFU mode (dm_tool or dfu-util).
grsbanks

Post by grsbanks »

Correct. It's only up until Windows XP that Microsoft required vendor-specific drivers even for mass storage devices. From Vista onwards, Windows included generic USB storage drivers already rendering vendor-specific drivers unnecessary.
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.
HPMike

Post by HPMike »

Thanks, guys ! :D

It never even occurred to me that I could simply place the calculator in USB Disk mode and just connect it to any USB port in my WIN 10 computer. Sure enough, it was recognized although I did see a warning from Windows that there was something wrong with the device that needed to be fixed. I had seen the same message on my old Win 7 computer, so I just dismissed it and proceeded without incident to open the drive in my file manager. When I bought my DM42, it was before the flash from FAT capability had been implemented, and I remember folks complaining that Win 10 made it very difficult to install the USB driver necessary to flash from the computer via USB. IIRC, it was also before the USB Disk mode existed. Anyways, no harm no foul, and I will probably still need my old Win XP computer to update the firmware in my DM15L.
ijabbott

Post by ijabbott »

grsbanks wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:01 am
Correct. It's only up until Windows XP that Microsoft required vendor-specific drivers even for mass storage devices. From Vista onwards, Windows included generic USB storage drivers already rendering vendor-specific drivers unnecessary.
Even Windows 98 and Windows 2000 had generic USB mass storage drivers, I think. (Windows 95 needed an extended USB support update for it prior to OSR 2.5.)
HPMike

Post by HPMike »

ijabbott wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:36 pm
grsbanks wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:01 am
Even Windows 98 and Windows 2000 had generic USB mass storage drivers, I think. (Windows 95 needed an extended USB support update for it prior to OSR 2.5.)
Except that my Win XP computer did not recognize my DM42 when I placed it in USB Disk mode and connected it to a USB port. Only after I installed the DM42 USB driver that is used for flashing from the computer via cable was I able to connect my DM42 to my computer to access its FAT drive.
grsbanks

Post by grsbanks »

HPMike wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:22 pm
Except that my Win XP computer did not recognize my DM42 when I placed it in USB Disk mode and connected it to a USB port. Only after I installed the DM42 USB driver that is used for flashing from the computer via cable was I able to connect my DM42 to my computer to access its FAT drive.
That'll be pure coincidence. The libusb-win32 driver doesn't get anywhere near devices in usb_storage mode.
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.
HPMike

Post by HPMike »

grsbanks wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:37 pm
HPMike wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:22 pm
That'll be pure coincidence. The libusb-win32 driver doesn't get anywhere near devices in usb_storage mode.
I'm sure you are correct and I don't know what the heck I'm talking about, but this is all moot since I'm now able to update my DM42 directly from my new Win 10 computer. Also, the main reason I was using my ancient Win XP computer was to run legacy and DOS software that wouldn't run under Win 7, much less Win 10. After my Win 7 computer crapped out, I needed the XP machine to run the Quattro Pro X4 spreadsheet program until I could purchase the newer X9 version that is compatible with Win 10. Now that this has happened, I will spend the majority of my time using the new computer, which is immensely faster than the older ones. I'm finding out that Win 10 isn't the monster that I thought it would be, and once I figured out where all the utilities such as the Control Panel were located, I could simply pin them to the Taskbar for easy access. Yesterday, I mailed in my Federal Tax Return, so that ugly and stressful task is behind me for another year. :)
Leechpool

Post by Leechpool »

Hi all,
My DM42 was one of the ones suffering from freezing when trying to update from FAT. I've never been able to successfully update from FAT partition apart from when Michael got me to reload v3.5 as a test. From v3.5 the FAT update to 3.12 worked OK. For everything else, it would just freeze when I hit enter to the confirm-firmware-update screen. I've been updating using dfu-util in linux.
I used dfu-util to install this upgrade, 3.13, then I tried reinstalling 3.13 using the FAT partition and it worked.
I'm please that it looks like they have fixed the FAT partition upgrade freeze issue, at least for my DM42.
:D