UPDATE: DMCP-3.10 / DM42-3.10

This is where announcements of official firmware updates provided by SwissMicros for the DM42 calculator will be made.

Please do not post bug reports here. The Usage tips, tricks and problem reports forum is there for that.

Please do not post notices of third party firmware builds here, they will be deleted. Instead, please use the Third Party firmware builds forum for this purpose.
Rmollov

Re: UPDATE: DMCP-3.10 / DM42-3.10

Post by Rmollov »

Flawless and smooth update here too.
I used the combined file on Windows 10 box - no problem.

I like the new "Print to File" feature.
Question: is there a way to browse 'PRINTS' directory and VIEW print-out files on the DM42?

Thanks,
Thomas Okken

Post by Thomas Okken »

I updated my beta unit using the combo file. No problems, and no high battery drain afterwards.

I haven't looked into the Intel library update. What did they fix compared to the previous version?
lpoujoulat

Post by lpoujoulat »

From Intel:

Release History:
================
Jul 2009 - Version 1.0 - implemented all the mandatory functions
from the IEEE Standard 754-2008
Jun 2011 - Version 2.0 - implemented also the functions
recommended in the ISO/IEC Technical Report 24732,
'Extension for the programming language C to support
decimal floating-point arithmetic'
Aug 2011 - Version 2.0 Update 1 - fixed a small issue in fma128
Jun 2018 - Version 2.0 Update 2 - fixed issues in powd64,
acos64, and acos128. Added the llround, llquantexp,
and quantum functions, as well as corresponding new tests.
This version has been tested in Linux, Windows, OSX, and Solaris.
HP67, HP11C, HP16C, HP28S, HP50G, DM42 #222
grsbanks

Post by grsbanks »

It's hard to tell, to be honest. I've not found a changelog anywhere on Intel's site. The included README gives this short note:

Code: Select all

Jun 2018 - Version 2.0 Update 2 - fixed issues in powd64,
                   acos64, and acos128. Added the llround, llquantexp,
                   and quantum functions, as well as corresponding new tests.
                   This version has been tested in Linux, Windows, OSX, and Solaris.
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.
Thomas Okken

Post by Thomas Okken »

That isn't very clear :D but assuming that by acos128, they're referring to bid128_acos, it's a good idea to apply the update, if only for that function. I'm not sure if Free42 uses any of the others.

I'm going to apply the update in the next Free42 release. I'll diff it against the currently used version, and hopefully I'll be able to be a bit more specific in my release notes.

Hmm, updating the Intel library means updating the QSPI, doesn't it? I hadn't even noticed, I just ran the combo update, without checking its size.
Trevor

Post by Trevor »

Rmollov wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:28 am
Flawless and smooth update here too.
I used the combined file on Windows 10 box - no problem.

I like the new "Print to File" feature.
Question: is there a way to browse 'PRINTS' directory and VIEW print-out files on the DM42?

Thanks,
Thanks from me too.

There is no way to view files directly on the DM42, but I'm sure someone could write a separate application for the platform if they wanted to (as far as I know).

I'm just delighted to have this feature, as a record of some program outputs. "Just-in-case".
grsbanks

Post by grsbanks »

Thomas Okken wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:53 pm
Hmm, updating the Intel library means updating the QSPI, doesn't it? I hadn't even noticed, I just ran the combo update, without checking its size.
Nope :)

All the constants stored in there are identical across the two versions. No change needed.
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.
Rmollov

Post by Rmollov »

Trevor wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:28 pm

There is no way to view files directly on the DM42, but I'm sure someone could write a separate application for the platform if they wanted to (as far as I know).

I'm just delighted to have this feature, as a record of some program outputs. "Just-in-case".
Well "just in case" is not good enough AFAIC. HP calculator emulators do have it and it's very handy. I can't believe it's hard to be done on this so powerful device. BTW do anyone still use those archaic thermal paper printers? I've got one and a week ago had to chuck out several boxes of rolls of thermal paper being around for over 25 years. Usage of these printers is a pain, printouts do not last long, for short - they are useless these days. So what is the point of having printing capabilities at all unless the above functionality is available?

Regards,
Thomas Okken

Post by Thomas Okken »

Rmollov wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:39 pm
Trevor wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:28 pm

Well "just in case" is not good enough AFAIC. HP calculator emulators do have it and it's very handy. I can't believe it's hard to be done on this so powerful device. BTW do anyone still use those archaic thermal paper printers? I've got one and a week ago had to chuck out several boxes of rolls of thermal paper being around for over 25 years. Usage of these printers is a pain, printouts do not last long, for short - they are useless these days. So what is the point of having printing capabilities at all unless the above functionality is available?

Regards,
Well, just because you don't find paper print-outs useful, doesn't mean that no one else does.
Regarding showing print-outs on the screen: you may not believe that it's hard to do that, and I'm sure that it's possible to implement that on the DM42, but I assure you it's not as easy as you think. You could try asking SwissMicros nicely. :)
Trevor

Post by Trevor »

Regards,
Well you could ask for this nicely.

I put a feature request, for exactly the printing functionality that we have now, in early August and David sent me an early version of the new application (3.10) to try a few weeks ago.. This is the most incredibly customer-focussed behaviour -- in contrast to the decade that HP have known about the bugs in the HP35s.

Of course what you are asking would be possible, as impressive as the ability load programs (think about what a huge step forward from the HP42s that is), just not as widely used,, I expect. Possible-to-do and should-do can be very different. It might require a huge amount of work, or could be as simple as viewing the txt files through the help file viewer.

If Swissmicros are reading this, I'd also like the ability to review printouts on the device (from a similar menu to the load program view, for example).
Usage of these printers is a pain, printouts do not last long, for short - they are useless these days. So what is the point of having printing capabilities at all unless the above functionality is available?

Regards,
Txt files will last forever.