DM42 Firmware V3.5 available

This is where announcements of official firmware updates provided by SwissMicros for the DM42 calculator will be made.

Please do not post bug reports here. The Usage tips, tricks and problem reports forum is there for that.

Please do not post notices of third party firmware builds here, they will be deleted. Instead, please use the Third Party firmware builds forum for this purpose.
reavy

Re: DM42 Firmware V3.5 available

Post by reavy »

Geoff Quickfall wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:04 pm
Check out this HHC for what calculators can be employed for on the flight deck.

https://youtu.be/564WxcPuGsY
Geoff, that was a great talk! I watched it on YouTube three times through before noticing you were on this forum.

With fancy new features and memory in the DM42, would it be possible to aggregate some of the programs you had on different individual calculators onto the DM42? I assume that some of your programs, and particularly the database of airport codes and lat./longs. pushed each old calculator to its limit, but maybe that wouldn't be the case for a newer calculator with a ton of memory and CPU power.
Geoff Quickfall

Post by Geoff Quickfall »

Well that was weird. Granted been very busy the last five months but not getting update announcements and my iPad no longer displays new topics, new postings so I was wondering if the DM42s postings had stopped, until I checked the dates of postings.

Anyhow, it is here and I have some updating to do on my production version as well as my prototype. After all this time the prototype has functioned perfectly and gets apporoving looks on the flight deck.

Will get a picture op set up on the 787 along with my Apollo DSKY.

REAVY,

Thanks for the review :!: All the programs and more are on the DM42s as my primary go to calculator. Unfortunately the 787 cockpit windows as well as the carbon composite airframe provide a much more efficient shield to outside EM such as GPS signals so the HP25 IR-GPS no longer receives on the flight deck as it did on the 777.

The nice thing about the DM is the integrated time functions which caused me to modify the 42 programs that required manual time inputs. That is now automated.

Glad you liked the talk. However we now have iPads for al” mapping and plotting. Had to purchase a blue tooth GPS due to the shielding on the cockpit and the fact that our GPS unit built into the iPads for use do not work on the 787 flight deck. My small blue tooth unit fits in a gap in the overhead emergency escape hatch. The hatch fuselage/interface does not have whatever is shielding the external EM on the rest of the carbon composite fuselage and new heated windows. So I now have the gps functionality back on the company iPads. Makes real-time plotting and aircraft positioning graphical. The on board ship system doesn’t overlay maps as the iPad does.

Cheers, all

Geoff returning to the HP fold

Question, what is the difference between a non stop flight and a direct flight?
reavy

Post by reavy »

Thanks for the info Geoff.

I always get into arguments over this with my family and friends because people use the terms loosely. I do not work in the aviation industry, but my understanding is that a direct flight is one on which the passenger travels on the same equipment from start to finish of their route. A non-stop flight is a direct flight that does not land between your start and final destinations.

It's funny that the same phenomenon that happens in automobiles happens in your $295M+ aircraft: the on-board satnav and other computer features are so out of date compared to your iDevice that you use the iDevice despite all the expensive integrated equipment.
Thomas Okken

Post by Thomas Okken »

reavy wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:56 pm
I always get into arguments over this with my family and friends because people use the terms loosely. I do not work in the aviation industry, but my understanding is that a direct flight is one on which the passenger travels on the same equipment from start to finish of their route. A non-stop flight is a direct flight that does not land between your start and final destinations.
Hmm. Under that definition, I have been on a direct-but-not-non-stop-flight once, Amsterdam-Nice-Málaga, where we made a stop in Nice but didn't leave the plane.

Now I wonder about the Amsterdam-St. Maarten-Curaçao-Amsterdam route. Traveling from Amsterdam to St. Maarten, this is a non-stop flight, but traveling from St. Maarten to Amsterdam, there is a stop in Curaçao, where they make you get off the plane, and then you reboard that same plane later for the second leg of the trip. I gather that this is also considered a "direct flight," at least that's how Expedia showed it to me when I booked it. I did wonder why the return trip was scheduled to take so much longer than the "to" trip, and it wasn't until we landed in Curaçao that I understood why... :lol:
Geoff Quickfall

Direct is staying on the aircraft (not changing fins) from departure airport to destination airport. Vancouver - Calgary - Winnipeg - Toronto - Montreal would be a direct flight with three stops before Montreal, the destination. The Vancouver Calgary leg would be nonstop, or if you were to board in Toronto for Montreal and etc.

Non stop would be Vancouver - Montreal.

Your are correct Thomas, non stop to St. Maarten but direct to Curacao.

I see confusion at work every day when we stop prior to the passengers intended destination on a scheduled run. Much more so with people booking on line and not using travel agents.

Cheers, Geoff

P.S. what an easy automated update from 3.5 to 3.7!
Geoff Quickfall

The iPads have replaced the manuals that we used to carry around. The aviation charts are now on the iPad. Very easy to link the gps function to a mobile aviation map display. Of course all this must be certified by the appropriate authorities.

The aircraft systems, as with military and space must be hardened from EM radiation including high energy space borne particles which can alter transistor settings (latchout). So they are always tested over time and therefore are never the todays “chip / board” but always last years “chip / board” which took a year to pass all lab testing.

My previous aircraft 777 had mobile map display on a side screen which worked for the ground taxi portion which is nice at a very busy and large airport such as Frankfurt. The B787 screen is on a display in front of me but cannot be moved ahead of the current position. Sort of a look ahead to the point you want to be, down the taxi way. It just shows your current position as you move to your gate on the ground. Sometimes you want to look ahead at the turn they gave you 3km ahead of you.

The iPad gps with mobile display works perfectly for that if you can get reception on your iPads gps. The B787 is a carbon composite fuselage with reinforcing metal weave. The windows on the flight deck are all heated with a transparent metal film. Both these systems are very effective EM shields. So I have to find the EM leakiest spot. The emergency escape hatch on the 787 is in the ceiling of the 787 which allows the gps to receive all quadrants containing satellites. On the 777 it is the first two side windows on the flight deck which limits the gps to at best two quadrants. The EM leak is the seal between the window / fuselage (777) or the escape hatch / fuselage interface (787). I am using the Garmin glo to power my iPad mobile map display. It receives both Russian and US satellites.

So nice tech on the 787, just not as user friendly as the iPad. Of course the aircraft has 2 GPS with dedicated antennas. Nice to have but not required. But that is up to the vender and package and options the company pays for.