Spreadsheet for DM42?

Discussion around the SwissMicros DM42 calculator
Jim_W

Spreadsheet for DM42?

Post by Jim_W »

Hello - About three years ago I proposed a spreadsheet for the DM42 on this forum. It drew a lot of attention at that time, over 29,000 views. Shortly after that I purchased a HP Prime which has a very capable spreadsheet app and have been quite pleased with its fulfilling my needs with regards to multi-variable problems. As you might remember, I am a pilot and am presently test flying a small experimental airplane. Due to its small cockpit, the smaller size of the DM42 comes to mine. Towards the end of my first post there was talk about a split screen feature for the DM42. Was that ever implemented? Was a "Form" Page for input/output data ever implemented? Thank you if you can tell me if any of these suggestions have been included in the last three years. - Jim Williams
diamondsoftware

Re: Spreadsheet for DM42?

Post by diamondsoftware »

Hello,
yes I remember, I was also interested to have a spreadsheet on DM42.
As a long time programmer, I know how to create a spreadsheet, but I don't have the knowledge to program the DM42 at low level language.
Stephane D.
Stephane Dujourdy
Softwares made on measure and computing advice since 1980
Softwares made on measure for Diamond sector since 1999
www.diamondsoftware.net
Jim_W

Post by Jim_W »

Hello again - I've just viewed Deetee's IV42 calculator on YouTube. His calculator runs on a DM42 calculator on top of its DMCP operating system. I wonder if a spreadsheet program such as the one found on the HP Prime could be loaded onto a DM42 using the same method? - Jim Williams
Peet

Post by Peet »

No, Prime Apps won't work on DMCP
My programmable calculators - former: CBM PR100, HP41CV, HP28S, HP11C - current: HP48G(256kB), HP35S, Prime, DM41X, DM42
Jim_W

Post by Jim_W »

The IV42 runs on FORTH. Ref: https://github.com/zooxo/iv42 I didn't mean to run the HP Prime's spreadsheet app. I just used that app as an example. If the DM42 can run any OS, I would think that an OS that already has an available spreadsheet could be found to use on the DM42. - Jim
rprosperi

Post by rprosperi »

Jim_W wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 4:57 pm
The IV42 runs on FORTH. Ref: https://github.com/zooxo/iv42 I didn't mean to run the HP Prime's spreadsheet app. I just used that app as an example. If the DM42 can run any OS, I would think that an OS that already has an available spreadsheet could be found to use on the DM42. - Jim
The DM42 cannot run any OS in the sense you're thinking. DMCP is the DM42 OS, which is a series of APIs for authors to write custom programs which layer above the DMCP, using the DMCP much as DOS programs used the BIOS routines in the early days. In the case of IV42, the author wrote this from scratch specifically for the DM42's DMCP interface.
--bob p

DM42: β00071 & 00282, DM41X: β00071 & 00656, DM10L: 071/100
Jim_W

Post by Jim_W »

Oh - I see. Thank you, Bob P, for the explanation. You made it very clear how it all works (or not work) together. Thanks again! - Jim
deetee

Post by deetee »

Hello Jim,

maybe this helps: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2231&p=11826#p11826

This is more a "wrap'" around some features of the DM42/Free42 - but it "pretends" a simple 3x6 spreadsheet.
Actually it manages 18 (3x6) variables (named "A1" to "C6") and 18 programs (labeled "A1" to "C6").

Regards
deetee
Jim_W

Post by Jim_W »

Hi Deetee - Congratulations on your RACK42! I just found it on Youtube. Your implementation of a spreadsheet on the DM42 is well thought out and seems to be quite developed at this date. Thank you for your hard work! This forum is the only way I know of to contact you so I hope you will not mind my asking some early questions here. 1. As your program develops, will it be possible to expand the number of columns and rows? 2. If not, can a cell formula call for a variable value stored elsewhere in the calculator? 3. Eventually, will the columns' width be controllable by the user? (For long variable names.) Thank you again for your spreadsheet. I hope everybody on this forum will take a look at it. I have always believed the the DM42 would make a great platform for a spreadsheet app. - Jim_W
deetee

Post by deetee »

Hi Jim!

Thank you for your kind words and ideas.
What started as an experiment (at least for me) became my favorite DM42 application. I don't know, if you saw it, but RACK42 is discussed on two other location (viewtopic.php?f=20&t=3302 and https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-18747.html).

Right now I'm close to publish version 2 of RACK42 with this features and "extra" applications:
* BIG MATH package (even matrices or differential equations are handled)
* Calculator mode ("fades out" the spreadsheet for a convenient calculator handling)
* HP-35 mode (emulates the "simple but convenient" legend)
* Text file editor (view/edit text files and view them with the internal html-browser (markdown))
* Draw mode (draw object oriented ASCII objects like lines, rectangles, text or function plots)

So far I concentrated more on features than on flexibility of the spreadsheet (where your questions go). The RACK spreadsheet wants to be primarily a mobile, small, fast, simple, convenient and powerful spreadsheet - for "big data" and colorful printouts everyone would prefer excel.

But some words to your questions:
1) To present a spreadsheet on a small display I tried to optimize sufficient precision (9 digits) with a readable font size - so I got the 3x5 dimensions. To scroll without "loosing your position" I tried to program small multiples of 3x5. Finally there is a memory restriction of 8k for variables - and I used a (struct) array for the spreadsheet data (sure there is an malloc option for bigger data areas). But with 6x15 (which results in a total memory occupation of ~5k) I'm below this limits and the user has always "his position" in mind).
2) So far the whole spreadsheet can be saved/loaded from/to USB disk. To save/load single cell values comes on my "idea list" - thanks for this hint.
3) Due to the application goals (see above) RACK42 doesn't have the flexibility you want. I'll keep this in my mind. But things like this often bloat the code size and slow down the speed.

Finally I want to thank you for persistently demanding such an application for years - and finally giving me the idea and courage to face a challenge to program a spreadsheet application from scratch.

Regards
deetee