DM42 is nice

Discussion around the SwissMicros DM42 calculator
OlidaBel

DM42 is nice

Post by OlidaBel »

A week of so with my first SM, a DM42.
Now I begin to understand why people like it.
This calculator has a personnality !
The pouch is very good, the screen is superb, programs run fast enough.
The general ease of use is very appealing and comfortable.

I need some practise and time in order to program it efficiently in pure RPN,
as you know the stack behaves a bit different than with an RPL stack (48GX, 50G).
well done !
---
Olivier
48GX, Prime G2, 50G, DM15L, DM42, 28S, HP 15c CE
dalremnei

Re: DM42 is nice

Post by dalremnei »

After a recent software update it's now possible to enable an arbitrary-size stack! See the software updates section for more details.
SwissMicros DM42, DM16L, HP 12c Platinum, Prime G2 CASIO fx-9750gii, fx-991ex classwiz, fx-CG50, TEXET fx1500, TI nspire CX II-T
OlidaBel

Post by OlidaBel »

dalremnei wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:27 pm
After a recent software update it's now possible to enable an arbitrary-size stack! See the software updates section for more details.
Yes, I know. https://thomasokken.com/free42/#big-stack
Maybe later. I had previously tested it on smartphone. For the moment I am concentrated on the classic HP-42S behaviour (masochism or purist attitude ? :) )
---
Olivier
RNav

Post by RNav »

OlidaBel wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:36 pm
dalremnei wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:27 pm
Yes, I know. https://thomasokken.com/free42/#big-stack
Maybe later. I had previously tested it on smartphone. For the moment I am concentrated on the classic HP-42S behaviour (masochism or purist attitude ? :) )
A gentleman named Walter will love your reply! Welcome to the obsession!
28c, 28s, 48sx, 17bii, 32s, 33s, 35s, Prime, WP-34s, DM42 (daily user)
Peet

Post by Peet »

OlidaBel wrote:
... (masochism or purist attitude ? :) )
rational, reasonable and wise
My programmable calculators - former: CBM PR100, HP41CV, HP28S, HP11C - current: HP48G(256kB), HP35S, Prime, DM41X, DM42
Walter

Post by Walter »

OlidaBel wrote:
... I am concentrated on the classic HP-42S behaviour (masochism or purist attitude ? :) )
It's simply the most Rational Professional Notation :D
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041
ljubo

Post by ljubo »

OlidaBel wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:09 pm
I was fan of 11C, 15C, 28S and some hours on 42S
Have had a similar path - got my 15C in 1985 (btw, just one battery change till today - what an engineering!), some years ago I bought DM15L to have one "15C" in office and one at home. However, I was missing support for HEX numbers in 15C. 16C is not an option as too many other functions that I need from time to time are not available in 16C.

I was long time reluctant to go with DM42 - I don't like the menu-based approach - there are functions that I frequently need, and even if assigned to the custom menu one need to key: shift-custom-F - too cumbersome. DM42 has actually dedicated custom keys (excellent design decision!) that are in the default firmware occupied with (from my pov) infreqently used functionalities. But hey, it's open source generously provided by Thomas Okken and SwissMicros, so, I have modified the firmware, introduced persistent custom menu functionality and now are "my" freqent functions/programs just a click away :D I don't need more than 6 frequent functions/programs (BTW, other 6 are just an additional shift away). I'm using DM42 every day - works like a charm - just ordered a second one to get updated keyboard and also to have office/home one (crazy, I know :roll: ) - so, yes, DM42 is indeed nice :)
HP-15C, DM15L, HP-35S, DM42
OlidaBel

Post by OlidaBel »

Does it mean that even after an EXIT clic, your six (custom) function keys are labeled on screen ? With the standard firmware, after an EXIT, there is no black boxes off course, but you can access Help, Menu, .... Font size. Are these ones the functions you replaced ?
I'm satisfied with the SHIFT-CUSTOM-(^) features, it means up to 18 prefered shortcuts. I'm not really in a hurry ;-)
(May I ask you in which kind of business or industrial activity you are working ? Just to understand your needs with a calculator. Here, I don't need a calculator, being in IT, without development activities for several years. I never had a need for a 16C, interesting model though :D . )

Related to ergonomy, keyboard and functions, I am really curious about the next SM calculator ideas :)
---
Olivier
ljubo

Post by ljubo »

OlidaBel wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:29 pm
Does it mean that even after an EXIT clic, your six (custom) function keys are labeled on screen ? With the standard firmware, after an EXIT, there is no black boxes off course, but you can access Help, Menu, .... Font size. Are these ones the functions you replaced ?
Yes - the custom menu is always active and Exit is returning to the custom menu. The default logic is inverted and Shift-Custom actually exits custom menu allowing access to the default functionality (help, font size, etc.). Exception is the program mode - Exit is there exiting Custom menu to make access to arrow keys easy. For more details see https://github.com/ljubo106/DM42pcm
I'm satisfied with the SHIFT-CUSTOM-(^) features, it means up to 18 prefered shortcuts. I'm not really in a hurry ;-)
Firmware mod is not changing custom assignements, etc. - it's the same 18 shortcuts - however, with the mod they are always active (for DM42 that makes sense as DM42 has dedicated F buttons)
(May I ask you in which business or industrial sector you are working ? Just to understand your needs. Here, I don't need a calculator, being in IT, without development activities for several years. I never had a need for a 16C, interesting model though :D . )
Like many in the forum I'm a physicist :), currently working in IT industry. BTW, I also don't need full 16C functionality, however, occasionally one needs base conversions.
Related to ergonomy, keyboard and functions, I am really curious about the next SM calculator ideas :)
The same - curious to see what will be next.
HP-15C, DM15L, HP-35S, DM42