Free42 Version 3

Discussion around the SwissMicros DM42 calculator
HPMike

Re: Free42 Version 3

Post by HPMike »

I think that Free42 should now be renamed Free42s, where the "s" suffix stands for "supercharged."
DM15L, S/N 00548. DM42, SN: 00159. DM41X, SN: 00973. DM32, SN 00054.
ferni123

Post by ferni123 »

Actually, I think that DM42 needs an update to fix the error detected in the Intel Decimal Library and solved in Free42 3.0.1. See forum thread:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2859

Otherwise, DM42 is currently giving wrong results with complex operations.
Last edited by ferni123 on Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
48GX

Post by 48GX »

Big Stack mode is AWESOME!! Dare I say brings me a touch closer to the 48G in use. I hope to see this option on the DM42. Game changer for this 48G diehard.
Waiting for SM to release DM42 hardware with one additional row of keys.
DM42, DB48X, DM32, HP42s, DM41X, HP35s, DM41L
Raising a next generation RPN/RPL user.
Fg1969

Post by Fg1969 »

Hi,
there is a new DM42 update - BUT "DM42 v3.17 (built with DMCP 3.20): 2021-03-12
Quick fix release only, no changes in DM42"

I think we have to wait!

Frank
grsbanks

Post by grsbanks »

It is in the works, honest!
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.
HPMike

Post by HPMike »

grsbanks wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:11 pm
It is in the works, honest!
While you are working on implementing the Big Stack feature in Free42 3.0.x, might I suggest that you add the capability to display the LAST x register along with the stack registers, as is the case with the standard 4-level stack mode. The stack registers would be labelled 1: 2: 3: 4: 5: etc. instead of X: Y: Z: T:, but the LAST x would still be labelled L: . As you probably know, LAST x does not exist on dynamic stack calculators such as the HP 48, 49 and 50, but in Free42 running in Big Stack mode, there is a LAST x register, and executing LAST x does in fact return LAST x.
DM15L, S/N 00548. DM42, SN: 00159. DM41X, SN: 00973. DM32, SN 00054.
Walter

Post by Walter »

A few decades ago, users of HP calculators had only x on their displays. They used to track y, z, t, and Last x in their minds. A great amount of programs we admire still today were created this way.

What happened meanwhile? We got the PC and the smartphone ... now many people can't calculate anymore without seing four stack levels displayed at least although almost all commands operate on one or two only. I can hardly understand this distrust and/or deteriorated short term memory. Anyone with an explanation?
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041
Thomas Okken

Post by Thomas Okken »

I don't take such a negative view of things, I see it as an improvement. To use an analogy: if someone who used to walk X miles a day switches to using a bicycle instead, still covering the same distance each day, their physical fitness would probably decrease.

However, they could also use that bicycle to travel further each day, maintaining their fitness and accomplishing more.

Maybe the ability to see more information in the display is like that? I don't find it necessary myself, but maybe I'm just the person who has no need or desire to cover more than those X miles per day.
RNav

Post by RNav »

Walter wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:01 pm
A few decades ago, users of HP calculators had only x on their displays. They used to track y, z, t, and Last x in their minds. A great amount of programs we admire still today were created this way.

What happened meanwhile? We got the PC and the smartphone ... now many people can't calculate anymore without seing four stack levels displayed at least although almost all commands operate on one or two only. I can hardly understand this distrust and/or deteriorated short term memory. Anyone with an explanation?
Walter,
Nothing happened... The preference is a "point of reference" of when you were introduced to HP calculators. My introduction to HP RPN calculators was in 1987 when I started my sophomore year Electrical Eng undergrad program... I acquired a HP28c... I traded up to a HP28s the following year... The ability to perform matrix algebra with complex numbers along with HP Solve was revolutionary. Many universities banned them... My university decided that in Engineering courses mathematics is a tool and encouraged HP caclulators to "keep up". I became a HP RPN disciple. HP calculators with dynamic stack was my point of reference. In grad school I rewarded myself with a HP48sx and have since then purchased every new model since. Wanting a functional RPN calculator brought me to this forum and I got a DM42... I love my DM42, but I was used to programming in RPL so the DM42 had a bit of a learning curve. So I can see if your "point of reference" was a 4-stack HP, learned to program with a 4-stack, that you would "not like" the later RPL versions. For me, dynamic stack ability with the DM42 would be "more normal". I am not a power user anymore... My calculations are more Engineering Project Financials than actual Engineering. For me the dynamic stack gives me more flexibility when tabulating and manipulating more numbers.
28c, 28s, 48sx, 17bii, 32s, 33s, 35s, Prime, WP-34s, DM42 (daily user)
48GX

Post by 48GX »

RNav wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:34 pm
Walter wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:01 pm

Walter,
Nothing happened... The preference is a "point of reference" of when you were introduced to HP calculators. My introduction to HP RPN calculators was in 1987 when I started my sophomore year Electrical Eng undergrad program... I acquired a HP28c... I traded up to a HP28s the following year... The ability to perform matrix algebra with complex numbers along with HP Solve was revolutionary. Many universities banned them... My university decided that in Engineering courses mathematics is a tool and encouraged HP caclulators to "keep up". I became a HP RPN disciple. HP calculators with dynamic stack was my point of reference. In grad school I rewarded myself with a HP48sx and have since then purchased every new model since. Wanting a functional RPN calculator brought me to this forum and I got a DM42... I love my DM42, but I was used to programming in RPL so the DM42 had a bit of a learning curve. So I can see if your "point of reference" was a 4-stack HP, learned to program with a 4-stack, that you would "not like" the later RPL versions. For me, dynamic stack ability with the DM42 would be "more normal". I am not a power user anymore... My calculations are more Engineering Project Financials than actual Engineering. For me the dynamic stack gives me more flexibility when tabulating and manipulating more numbers.
Well said.
Waiting for SM to release DM42 hardware with one additional row of keys.
DM42, DB48X, DM32, HP42s, DM41X, HP35s, DM41L
Raising a next generation RPN/RPL user.