DM42 with homemade printer

Discussion around the SwissMicros DM42 calculator
toml_12953

Re: DM42 with homemade printer

Post by toml_12953 »

This thread has gotten me thinking: Some people don't see a general need/want for a small IR printer for SM calculators. I think most people who originally owned HPs would like one but there are some people who never owned an HP and are experiencing the SwissMicros calcs for the first time who might not see the need for one or have any nostalgia associated with calculators.
So...

How many people here own or previously owned an HP?
How many are using a SM calculator as their first experience?

In either case, do you think an IR printer would enhance your enjoyment of the calculator?

If you can't already tell, I'm trying to get a feel for the market for an IR printer compatible with the SM calculators.

If SwissMicros or other company is seriously contemplating producing one, then I'd immediately stop my plans. I have no desire to take business away from anyone.

If not then I'll begin a development project which may or may not result in a shipping product.
Tom L

Some people call me inept but I'm as ept as anybody!
DM10L SN: 059/100
DM41X SN: 00023 (Beta)
DM41X SN: 00506 (Shipping)
DM42 SN: 00025 (Beta)
DM42 SN: 00221 (Shipping)
WP43 SN: 00025 (Prototype)
BobVA

Post by BobVA »

,,,If not then I'll begin a development project which may or may not result in a shipping product.
I recently built a text-only printer ( https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-14884.html ) using Meindert's excellent documentation on the HP Museum site. I'm using it for program listings and for all my "adding machine" tasks, like balancing the checkbook, taxes, etc. The speed and low noise of a modern thermal line printer module is a *big* improvement over the original HP character printer.

I used a re-purposed HP Jeteye sensor, an Arduino and a generic thermal printer module. I'd really like to re-spin it with a single board including the Arduino, power supply and a simplified IR receiver, and adapt the firmware to support HP graphics on the printer module I used.

Even better if somebody else did it :-) I'd be interested in something a little smaller than what I kludged up, supporting graphics and perhaps with battery power. Bonus if it could be powered via USB and would support printing over that link from a host PC (very handy to just spit out an address, directions, SKU, etc. to receipt paper).
Maxdao

Post by Maxdao »

toml_12953 wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:11 pm

How many people here own or previously owned an HP?
How many are using a SM calculator as their first experience?

In either case, do you think an IR printer would enhance your enjoyment of the calculator?
I own an HP, and an IR printer would definitely be useful.
Unfortunately I wasn’t able to find IR printers in a good shape at a reasonable price so far.
rprosperi

Post by rprosperi »

There are plenty of HP IR printers appearing on eBay (and other auction/resale sites) regularly, but it may take a week or two to find one near you.

What do you consider to be a "reasonable price" - perhaps that expectation needs adjustment?
--bob p

DM42: β00071 & 00282, DM41X: β00071 & 00656, DM10L: 071/100
Maxdao

Post by Maxdao »

Last time I checked, HP printer 82240b in a good condition were sold around 150€ on average, and we need to add additional shipping fees. I’m also worried to buy a mechanical device which was used so many years TBH. Not sure if they age well. Would love to have an option to buy a new one, 100€ would be a fair price I guess (or 150€ depending on quality)
rprosperi

Post by rprosperi »

Maxdao wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:49 pm
Last time I checked, HP printer 82240b in a good condition were sold around 150€ on average, and we need to add additional shipping fees. I’m also worried to buy a mechanical device which was used so many years TBH. Not sure if they age well. Would love to have an option to buy a new one, 100€ would be a fair price I guess (or 150€ depending on quality)
I have seen many 82240A and 82240B for sale for well less than $100, and purchased 2 of them in the past few years. Both work perfectly, no issues at all.

For example, here's a 82240B listed now for $61.99 + $11.99 shipping to USA, that also includes a (USA) power adapter. Shipping to EU no doubt costs more, but that's still half of what you noted.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Hewlet ... 4337218941

And here's a 82240A for just a bit more:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-82240A-Infr ... 3597218341
--bob p

Maxdao

Post by Maxdao »

Just checked both and unfortunately they don’t ship to France.
I’ll check more often, maybe I’ll be lucky and find a good one :)
Thanks for your help !
Walter

Post by Walter »

Unfortunately, a considerable fraction of US-sellers on eBay sell and ship only within the USA. Whether they fear entering a post office or whatever, I don't know. As a European, you just have to search a little longer - or buy European.
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041
rprosperi

Post by rprosperi »

Unfortunately, many American eBay sellers don't sell to international customers because doing do would require them to actually go to a Post Office, in person, to calculate and pay the shipping and submit the Customs forms; for domestic (USA) mail, all postage calculations, printing labels, etc. can be done in their office (or home) and then picked-up by USPS carriers, so they see the extra time and effort as being an expense they are not willing to absorb. While I assume the same is likely true in Europe (easy for EU mail, more work for outside EU mail) I really don't know. It's a shame as this short-sighted view eliminates a huge market segment to sell to, but since eBay has removed listing fees, lazy sellers simply add items and ignore them, hoping someone here will buy the item, sooner or later.
--bob p

grsbanks

Post by grsbanks »

rprosperi wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:20 am
While I assume the same is likely true in Europe (easy for EU mail, more work for outside EU mail) I really don't know.
In the UK at least, the post office do not pick up items. Whether they're being sent to the UK, the rest of the EU or elsewhere in the world, you have to go out and take it to a post office. You can pay for the postage and fill in the customs declaration from your office/home but you still have to take it to a post office to get it sent.

Couriers like UPS, DPD, Hermes (ugh!!) and their ilk do come to your place and pick items up but the cost is 10x or 20x higher.
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.