My DM42 Is lost

Discussion around the SwissMicros DM42 calculator
HPMike

Re: My DM42 Is lost

Post by HPMike »

gduncan wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 6:57 pm
Received calculator yesterday, May 15. It took 27 days to get to Colorado from Switzerland.
Perhaps it shipped on a boat ?
DM15L, S/N 00548. DM42, SN: 00159. DM41X, SN: 00973. DM32, SN 00054.
Helix

Post by Helix »

I received today the MoHPC USB flash drive. So it took exactly 9 weeks to cross the Atlantic…

USPS utilizes boats:
"The Postal Service will utilize sea transportation to address the issue of limited air transportation resulting from widespread flight cancellations and restrictions due to COVID-19. This option will remain in effect until sufficient air transportation capacity becomes available."
Source: https://about.usps.com/newsroom/service ... effect.pdf
Thomas Okken

Post by Thomas Okken »

Transatlantic traffic is definitely weird at the moment.

I travelled from Amsterdam to Newark last week. I was originally going to go with Icelandair, changing planes at Keflavik, but after they cancelled three consecutive flights on me, I gave up on them. I was then able to get a flight to Frankfurt, that same day, and then on to Newark the next day.

Now, booking a flight on the day of, you normally might expect to pay an arm and a leg, but mine was $689, which I thought was pretty decent. What was weird was that both planes, the Amsterdam-Frankfurt and the Frankfurt-Newark flights, were almost empty. The Frankfurt-Newark leg was on a 787, which had about 220 seats, and about 20 passengers. Being able to stretch out across three seats was very nice, but it was also a bit eerie!

Given how many flights are being cancelled, I had expected that the few that are still going would be full, but apparently not. Of course not many people are even able to make the trip right now, and even those who can may not have much of a reason... I spent 2 1/2 months in Holland and except for dining out a couple of times before the lockdown went into effect, my entertainment consisted of lots of walks, lots of Internet, WhatsApp, and Scrabble, and not much else.

I just sent a letter to the Netherlands and am quite curious to see how long it will take to get there!
AlanW

Post by AlanW »

My new DM42 just arrived in the UK 5 working days after being shipped - the postal service in Europe appears to be recovering ;)

All the keys are working well. Shift key looks a nice solid yellow. S/N 05171. Time to read the manual(s).

Alan
akaTB

Post by akaTB »

And I received today my classic boards from teenix, after a 70 days trip from Australia. :?
Greetings,
    Massimo
ajcaton
-+×÷ left is right and right is wrong :twisted: Casted in gold
AlanW

Post by AlanW »

akaTB wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 7:44 pm
And I received today my classic boards from teenix, after a 70 days trip from Australia. :?
The teenix website was interesting, particular the Hp-65 board. My Dad brought an HP-65 home from work when I was a youngster. It was awesome, particularly all the magnetic card packs. I remember you ran the card through the reader, then turned it over and slotted it in the top, where it provided labels for the top row of keys. Just unbelievable at the time. Another time he brought home a suitcase computer with a drum memory. The drum memory was just going obsolete at the time, so not quite as awesome. Can't remember what that was called.
rprosperi

Post by rprosperi »

akaTB wrote:
Actually, believe it or not, that's good news; I'm waiting for something from Australia as well, and today makes 58 days, so there is still hope it's not lost. :D
--bob p

DM42: β00071 & 00282, DM41X: β00071 & 00656, DM10L: 071/100
Helix

Post by Helix »

akaTB wrote:
I ordered a HP-67 board from Teenix well before the pandemic restrictions, and the delay was already 24 days.
Unfortunately, my board never worked correctly, and I had to return it to Australia. :(
I don't expect now to receive a repaired or a new board before several months. :roll:

I also sent my original HP-67 board to Panamatik, since he kindly accepted to make the new ACT upgrade for me. 10 days after shipment, the envelope is still in France!
rprosperi

Post by rprosperi »

Quite unexpectedly, I mailed a small pkg from NY to NL on 19 May and it was delivered on 27 May. That's notably faster than I would have expected pre-Pandemic. The only thing that is clear these days, is that nothing is clear.
--bob p

DM42: β00071 & 00282, DM41X: β00071 & 00656, DM10L: 071/100
Geoff Quickfall

Post by Geoff Quickfall »

Clearly you are correct Bob...