DM42 skin for the Free42 simulator

Discussion around the SwissMicros DM42 calculator
Thomas Okken

Re: DM42 skin for the Free42 simulator

Post by Thomas Okken »

StreakyCobra wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:31 pm
On another topic I have the feeling that high-res skins have issue registering some key presses. With the size 2 I don't have any problem at all, with size 6 there are some miss from time to time, and with size 12 it's hard to use, a non-negligible number of keys are missed. I noticed that with size 12 a slight swipe left or right on a key show the "print-out", that's something that I can't reproduce on size 2.

If I have to guess I would either say it can be due to a fixed (size-independent) number of pixels defining the swipe distance, or to the loading/copy of active layer key (taking more time in high-res) interfering with the handling of key presses. But I haven't got time to look at your code, so those are just suppositions.
Yes, the swipe-detection logic in the Android version appears to have problems on some (many?) phones. Not on my Moto G5, but there have already been too many complaints to ignore, and it's only been out a few days.

I just uploaded a new build with the swipe-to-switch and n-key rollover logic removed. I'll put them back once I figure out what's wrong. I have a feeling I'll end up getting rid of Android's swipe recognizer and implementing my own pan recognition instead, to make it work like the iOS version, where the new rollover and swipe/pan don't seem to be causing any problems.

It is possible that the skin resolution plays a part. If the swipe recognizer uses a threshold defined in terms of logical pixels instead of absolute screen coordinates, that would be problematic, because Free42 transforms the coordinate system to make the skin fit. That would be seriously lame, but if there's one thing my UI work on Free42 has taught me, it is that Android really is surprisingly lame in some areas. But you have to row with the oars you have, I guess. :D
StreakyCobra

Post by StreakyCobra »

Thomas Okken wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:35 am
I just uploaded a new build with the swipe-to-switch and n-key rollover logic removed. I'll put them back once I figure out what's wrong. I have a feeling I'll end up getting rid of Android's swipe recognizer and implementing my own pan recognition instead, to make it work like the iOS version, where the new rollover and swipe/pan don't seem to be causing any problems.
Cool, I updated the app and it seems working quite well now, even with the high-res skin :) Thanks!
mezoganet

Post by mezoganet »

StreakyCobra wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:45 pm
Thomas Okken wrote:
Cool, I updated the app and it seems working quite well now, even with the high-res skin :) Thanks!
Great !!!

Thanks a lot everybody !
HP33E, HP34C, HP41C, HP16C, HP28S, HP42S, HP48S, HP12C, HP35S, DM42, DM41L, DM15L, DM41X (SN#15) and HP3000 @ work during 18 yrs as IT Mgr
mezoganet

Post by mezoganet »

StreakyCobra wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:45 pm
Thomas Okken wrote:
Yes !

BUT I come back to my last comment...

We miss the « Setup » function, and the graphic DM42 possibilities..

Too eager ?

*** ADDED *** Ohhh it is still a really nice Skin !!! But it won’t transform the great Free42 to a DM42... that would be so so so great !

Regards again !
HP33E, HP34C, HP41C, HP16C, HP28S, HP42S, HP48S, HP12C, HP35S, DM42, DM41L, DM15L, DM41X (SN#15) and HP3000 @ work during 18 yrs as IT Mgr
StreakyCobra

Post by StreakyCobra »

I have just released a new version (1.4) that provides support for Plus42's larger display.

With this skin the calculator looks even more like the DM42, and the Big Stack mode becomes quite attractive :-D

Please note that all skin sizes do not fit the screen area perfectly, but the size 12 on mobile works really well as shown on the screenshot bellow.

PS: This skin will still show up as a 2-liner on Free42, you really need Plus42 to have the benefit of more screen estate.

rprosperi

Post by rprosperi »

StreakyCobra wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 12:29 am
I have just released a new version (1.4) that provides support for Plus42's larger display.
Plus42 is not available for the DM42, so... huh?

Or is this a skin for Plus42 that includes the face (and label) of the DM42? If so, isn't that kinda backwards, lol ? :D
--bob p

DM42: β00071 & 00282, DM41X: β00071 & 00656, DM10L: 071/100
StreakyCobra

Post by StreakyCobra »

rprosperi wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 1:26 am
Plus42 is not available for the DM42, so... huh?

Or is this a skin for Plus42 that includes the face (and label) of the DM42? If so, isn't that kinda backwards, lol ? :D
This thread (and project) is about a DM42-themed skin for Free42. The skin was originally supporting the 2-lines display of Free42 simulator, and while it was already possible to use it with Plus42 (that is Free42 plus a bunch of additional features, including a larger display), it was not rendering well. This new version adds a bit of configuration to the skin to make it look nicer when used with the bigger display of Plus42.

So it is as you said in your last sentence, but that's not more backwards that the original skin made ~4 years ago :-)
Thomas Okken

Post by Thomas Okken »

Looking at the dm42_2 version, the display is positioned a bit too high when rows > 2. In the version on my web site (link), I have

DisplaySize: 22,7 89 2

which positions the display 7 pixels lower.

My version also contains keyboard mappings for a, v, q, o, l, x, and g, so you can use those for the second row of the keyboard, and continue to use F1-F6 for the function keys.
StreakyCobra

Post by StreakyCobra »

Interesting, I hadn't try Free42's skins in Plus42 before working on it so I hadn't noticed you already made the scale 2 compatible.

As my model is parametric I tried to reverse engineer a function based on the scale to looks good on all sizes, but I have to admit I did not manage to come up with a formulae that makes it looks perfect, it can definitively look better when handcrafted. And I've prioritised the biggest size (scale 12) as that what's render the best on Android.

I'm already nicely surprised that I am only 7 pixels close on the other extreme of scale while doing it in a cleanroom :-)

If you are ok I can copy the keyboard shortcuts in dm42-skin next time I do a release? I'm not using it on Desktop but that may benefit other users.

I also noticed the "Dirs", "Units" and other new keys are missing to take full advantage of Plus42, so I'm thinking about making a Plus42-specific version with an additional row of keys like in the "PortraitShort" skin. Let's see if and when I find some time and motivation.

Edit: I noticed that this comment may sound a bit contradicting with my previous one, so just to be precise: I tried my own skin with Plus42 and it was not rendering great because it did not had the "DisplaySize" entry. What I had not tried was using the Free42's skins on Thomas website.
Thomas Okken

Post by Thomas Okken »

StreakyCobra wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2023 8:27 pm
If you are ok I can copy the keyboard shortcuts in dm42-skin next time I do a release? I'm not using it on Desktop but that may benefit other users.
Certainly!