Looking forward to the DM42 update utilizing the Free42 2.023 update...

Discussion around the SwissMicros DM42 calculator
zeno333

Re: Looking forward to the DM42 update utilizing the Free42 2.023 update...

Post by zeno333 »

So apparently the bugs and problems that have been outlined here that were fixed in Free42 are not warranted to also be fixed in the DM42...I highly do not agree...The issues with Solve that are outlined here that were fixed...It was important for the Free42 maker to solve the issues with SOLVE as he explained, and therefore it is also important for those issues outlined to be fixed in DM42...
zeno333

Post by zeno333 »

The free42 SOLVE function clearly has a bug that was outlined in detail here by the maker of Free42...HP cared about a bug in the original HP-35 and fixed it, too bad we can not have that same care with the DM42...Thomas Okken in this thread said how the SOLVE bug was bothering him for a while so he foxed it...It was important enough to bother him a lot, so therefore it is also important enough for it to be fixed on the DM42...It is wrong to throw away the care that Thomas Okken put into fixing the SOLVE on Free 42 and just choose to ignore it for the DM42...Respect the work and care of Thomas Okken please...fix the DM42 SOLVE issue...it is the right thing to do.
rprosperi

Post by rprosperi »

Zeno,

The point being discussed here is not IF the 2.023 changes should be included in the DM42, of course they should! The point being discussed is WHEN to include the changes and make a new release. Each new version of DM42 takes a lot of effort: make the code changes, testing the new changes, regression testing to be sure nothing else was affected, preparing and testing the different release formats, writing up the changes for the various documents and (possibly) adjusting the on-device help and user manual.

As David's time is limited, it makes more sense to include these changes when the next update is ready for either new product improvements or other major bugs, or both, so the majority of the above work is not needed twice.

The issues fixed in 2.023 should be included at that time, but the highly specific changes would only be rarely encountered in programs, and the current behavior, as well as the new behavior coming in a future release, are well documented in both the SM and the MoHPC forums, so even if someone new runs into it, they can quickly see the issues have been found and addressed.

All that being said, I admire your passion for wanting the best possible DM42, and I hope the above comments explain the situation better.
--bob p

DM42: β00071 & 00282, DM41X: β00071 & 00656, DM10L: 071/100
akaTB

Post by akaTB »

rprosperi wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:44 am
Zeno,

The point being discussed here is not IF the 2.023 changes should be included in the DM42, of course they should! The point being discussed is WHEN to include the changes and make a new release. Each new version of DM42 takes a lot of effort: make the code changes, testing the new changes, regression testing to be sure nothing else was affected, preparing and testing the different release formats, writing up the changes for the various documents and (possibly) adjusting the on-device help and user manual.

As David's time is limited, it makes more sense to include these changes when the next update is ready for either new product improvements or other major bugs, or both, so the majority of the above work is not needed twice.

The issues fixed in 2.023 should be included at that time, but the highly specific changes would only be rarely encountered in programs, and the current behavior, as well as the new behavior coming in a future release, are well documented in both the SM and the MoHPC forums, so even if someone new runs into it, they can quickly see the issues have been found and addressed.
Bob, as often occurs, those could be my own words.
I just don't understand all this frenzy about updates: it's not that the calc doesn't work, nor it is a life saver device.
Let's take a breath and wait for the next update!
Greetings,
    Massimo
ajcaton
-+×÷ left is right and right is wrong :twisted: Casted in gold
whuyse

Post by whuyse »

Thomas Okken wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:58 am
  • More accurate 2x2 matrix operations
  • More accurate dot product using FMA
Yes!!! As this is something the real 42S does, as well (albeit not with FMAs)
Cheers, Werner
41CV†,42S,48GX,49G,DM42,DM41X,17BII,15CE, DM15L
Walter

Post by Walter »

akaTB wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:17 am
rprosperi wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:44 am
The point being discussed here is not IF the 2.023 changes should be included in the DM42, of course they should! The point being discussed is WHEN to include the changes and make a new release. ...
... I just don't understand all this frenzy about updates: it's not that the calc doesn't work, nor it is a life saver device.
Let's take a breath and wait for the next update!
This frenzy may be a direct consequence of many things linked together and chatting about each and everything. In this case Thomas made an update of Free42 (which is a good and proper thing to do, thanks Thomas!); this update had to be indicated publicly since it won't go automatic (at least not on Android devices); and immediately people showed up who know it's part of DM42 and hence want an update of DM42 FW. This lack of patience observed may be due to lack of insight in the effects of said update or whatever. I admit I lack such patience sometimes as well and I don't know a cure.
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041
Dave Britten

Post by Dave Britten »

When's the new Palm OS build coming so I can update my Tungsten C? ;D

(Mostly joking. But obviously I would install it if it came out.)
gomefun2

Post by gomefun2 »

rprosperi wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:14 am
zeno333 wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:36 am
An up to dat DM42 is a better DM42 :)
I disagree. The changes in 2.023 are small, highly specialized and very unlikely to matter to almost anyone, and simply do not warrant a new release of DM42 on their own. It makes more sense to spend the limited time David has to continue work on other forthcoming DM42 enhancements, and then roll-in the 2.023 changes when the other enhancements are ready. YMMV...
What other enhancements are being added to the DM42 other than Free42 updates?
grsbanks

Post by grsbanks »

gomefun2 wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:16 am
What other enhancements are being added to the DM42 other than Free42 updates?
There is going to be some support for a directory structure for organising your .raw files and machine state files in the DM42 and the save/load dialogs will be able to support 2k entries.

Let's also not forget that the DM42 is not the only project that Swiss Micros works on. There was an update for the Voyager machines yesterday, for example.

FWIW, Free42 will be updated in the next DM42 release. I'm running a test version of 3.13 on my DM42 that has Free42 2.0.23 in it.
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.
mezoganet

Post by mezoganet »

@grsbanks

Will there be a subdirectory feature, as promised in « next release » some times ago in a previous post ?

It would be great when you have 100+ program files to browse.

Regards,

Patrick
HP33E, HP34C, HP41C, HP16C, HP28S, HP42S, HP48S, HP12C, HP35S, DM42, DM41L, DM15L, DM41X (SN#15) and HP3000 @ work during 18 yrs as IT Mgr