Feature requests

Discussion around the SwissMicros DM42 calculator
Stefan Karlsson

Re: Feature requests

Post by Stefan Karlsson »

Thomas Okken wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:08 pm
Someone could write a patch for this, but it won't be me... viewtopic.php?f=15&t=409&p=4829#p4829
Sorry, I didn't realise that this had been discussed before. I did search for "separator" and "thousands" before I posted, but I missed the "1e3" thread.

That thread, though, derails a bit: I'd assume there's a big difference between changing a character and implementing a new system (but I haven't looked at the Free42 software at all).

I thought the new separator could be implemented by nabbing one of the flags reserved by HP-42S, but I see now in the DM42 manual that this probably isn't an option. A patch then, would need (?) to involve you and Swiss Micros both.

Anyway, thanks for Free42. It's a great piece of software!
Dave Britten

Post by Dave Britten »

Since we're on the topic of display modes, I'd love an option that makes the ALL display mode less aggressive about switching to scientific notation. Casio calculators, for example, usually have "Norm1" and "Norm2" display modes that behave differently in this regard.

For instance, if I calculate 1/27, I'd rather see ".03703703704" than "3.7037037037E-2". A display mode that doesn't switch to scientific notation for values with absolute value greater than or equal to 1E-5 and less than 1E12, even if it results in less than the full precision being displayed, would be great for intuitively reading not-extremely-small decimal results.

I don't care to see scientific notation when I'm at the grocery store calculating which of two products offers the best value in dollars per unit of measure (or the reciprocal). :)
Walter

Post by Walter »

Dave Britten wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:29 pm
... I'd love an option that makes the ALL display mode less aggressive about switching to scientific notation. Casio calculators, for example, usually have "Norm1" and "Norm2" display modes that behave differently in this regard.

For instance, if I calculate 1/27, I'd rather see ".03703703704" than "3.7037037037E-2". A display mode that doesn't switch to scientific notation for values with absolute value greater than or equal to 1E-5 and less than 1E12, even if it results in less than the full precision being displayed, would be great for intuitively reading not-extremely-small decimal results.
Please compare ALL n of the WP34S and WP31S.
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041
Dave Britten

Post by Dave Britten »

Walter wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:02 pm
Please compare ALL n of the WP34S and WP31S.
Yes, that's pretty much what I would like to have on the 42. The "n" portion could be handled via a virtual variable, so as to preserve mode menu and flag compatibility.
gomefun2

Post by gomefun2 »

Add the greek alphabit as an additional option. When you are in alpha mode, make some type of key combination put the greek letters (alpha beta etc) on the soft menu.

Almost every equation I use has one of those characters.
Walter

Post by Walter »

gomefun2 wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:56 pm
Add the greek alphabit as an additional option. When you are in alpha mode, make some type of key combination put the greek letters (alpha beta etc) on the soft menu.

Almost every equation I use has one of those characters.
Look at the WP34S for a way to realize this.

Btw, Greek is pre-binary ;) :o
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041
gomefun2

Post by gomefun2 »

I own a wp-34s. I do like it and that it has greek letters.

Just a couple of things I don't like:

1. Small memory
2. can't enter long numbers into programs
3. Lackluster solver
4. Stickers on buttons make me too careful, though the buttons do feel better than DM42.

WP-34s may have greek letters but it doesn't have menu variables or a MISO solver so I use the DM42 instead.

I do like the ABCD quick access buttons on the WP-34s. very useful buttons to program.
gomefun2

Post by gomefun2 »

Also, I know why people complain about the keypad on the DM42. It's because sometimes you long-push a number and it double or triple pushes it.

To me, it doesn't make sense that the buttons are auto-push when you hold them down. If you just removed the auto-button (or at least had an option to remove auto-button) then I think fewer people would complain about the keyboard.

I can't think of another calculator that I use that works like this.

If you do deliberate long-pushes of numbers the calculator punishes you by typing the number 3 times. I can't imagine when anyone would use this feature of auto-push besides when bored.

Making it so that a key push has to be short, yet having stiff-keys makes the keypad awkward. Make it so that holding a number will only ever print a single digit.

I am aware of slow auto-repeat. It's just not slow enough.
Walter

Post by Walter »

gomefun2 wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:58 am
I own a wp-34s. I do like it and that it has greek letters.

Just a couple of things I don't like:

1. Small memory
2. can't enter long numbers into programs
3. Lackluster solver
4. Stickers on buttons make me too careful, though the buttons do feel better than DM42.

WP-34s may have greek letters but it doesn't have menu variables or a MISO solver so I use the DM42 instead.

I do like the ABCD quick access buttons on the WP-34s. very useful buttons to program.
On behalf of the numerous WP 34S team I thank you for your feedback. As you might know, some properties of the WP 34S are due to the HP platform employed (though thanks to HP for the opportunity to do such a repurposing at all!), some are caused by the volume of this project. In any way, it is closed now, simply because it has reached its limits HW- and FW-wise. We are convinced we've included what was possible although we know it's far from being perfect.

We think both WP 34S and WP 31S have demonstrated what is viable also for small teams if you have the necessary dedication and a suitable platform. I guess DM42 would not have been created without this demonstration. I'm sure it would look different without our experiences shared.

If you do want something better you're invited to contribute to the 43S. There is still some work to do, and we're always open to good ideas.
gomefun2

Post by gomefun2 »

Even though I complain about the WP34s I do not regret buying it and I do not plan to sell it. I do have some very important and regularly used functions programmed into ABCD and are those functions are rather complex and require high precision. The WP34s is excellent for this type of thing.

Overall I am very happy with the machine given the HW limitations.

I have seen the work on the 43 so far, and it looks very impressive.

I wonder if it could use a better button style than the DM42? So the keys don't feel so stiff as they do on the dm42?

The dm43 also has more memory than the wp34s, so if you don't add a MISO solver by default I might be able to add one in code, though it will likely be slower if programmed in this way.

Since I've enjoyed both the dm42 and the wp34s I will very likely also purchase the 43s.

Keep up the good work.