DM42 : What a beauty !

Discussion around the SwissMicros DM42 calculator
Stéphane Th

DM42 : What a beauty !

Post by Stéphane Th »

Ordered on Friday and received on...Monday ! in a tiny discrete package. So very fast "logistic" even if Lyon is not so far
So, what can I say ? Many comments have already been spraid.
On my side, pros are :
- Very nice shape with very nice pouch. The calc is inserted/removed without any force at the opposite of the hp42s and seems more durable
- Feels heavy and strong with metal housing
- The general black aspect (case+layer background+most of the screen saver pictures) give a global quality and serious aspect (same spirit as could be RC models, even if it seems difficult to make DM42 flying :) )
- Beautifull screen, no need of contrast adjusting, allowing "HiRes" graphics handled by programs and ALSO a "screensaver"
- Up to 10 lines of program display or XYZT stack + running window of original hp42 above (on top screen)
- The extra keys used directly for menus OR used as Fn functions (F1=help,...F6=Zoom In/Out)
- Extended Alpha mode by entering letters directly from each key (like on the 41) instead of using the screen menus
- Large amount of memory (6MB) for all programs' storage and more than 10 times more memory for programs (hp42 is around 6K bytes)
- Much more faster than the original (I had some moving graphics programs, no time to see the move now, when you run, it is already ended !)
- USB connection to PC to downlad/upload programs, screenshots, firmware..
- Other things certainly but I stop here

Now, some improvements that could be done (expressed as constructive remarks as this calc is almost perfect):
- Some keys labellings could be improved as x<>y, +/-, SQRT(x) with a slightly bigger font size
- Keys' surface is not flat but concave
- Keys' bounce a little bit hard (this said, we have the clic, but louder sound compared to hp)

Some ideas :
- Blue color for the "ALPHA" label above the ENTER key and blue color for all the letters/symbols placed on the keys' bottom right (so we would have a mix between 41 and 42, interesting...)
- Not sure but : add yellow labels above the top keys like "Help Menu Vol Format Zoom"
- A port expander using the mini USB port (that should be duplicated, as the IR led for the printer). To keep a slim shape, could be 2 ports allowing to use hp41 modules (yes they would need to be enhanced). Will try to make a 3D drawing

To conclude :
I am using hp calcs for 35 years (35/67/41CV/CX/15C/42S) and I can say we have here the sum of all that these different models have brought in terms of functions, ergonomy, display, memory and speed. Some cosmetics add-ons and a retro-compatibility with hp41 modules -I know it is not a DM41, but...- that I list in "Some ideas" would make it the perfect one !

Note that I put away the graphing calculators that are in a separate category, more school oriented with a lot of dedicated input windows, maybe not specifically RPN and are of a bigger size also. You can always program graph plots on the 42 by the way.
hp 35/01/67/34c/41cv/41cx/15c/48g/42s/dm42 and also TI SR56/57
Stéphane Th

Re: DM42 : What a beauty !

Post by Stéphane Th »

Ah, I found how to add pictures finally,

So here is the mix (the best one on my side):

And I must say hp42s is completly fullfilled, now regarding the hp41, you could think thirstly about this layout,

The blue labels make easier label readings for me, and we are in -hp spirit-

Now, regarding further developments, I will send the "DM42 ports expander" as soon as I get access to my 3D Inventor software

To be continued...
gmac42

Post by gmac42 »

I like the blue letters. I would buy one like that.
(I'm lusting after a second DM42 anyway, so I can leave one in the office and keep the other one at home.)
DM41X #542, DM42 #650, DM41L #801, HP 41CX, HP 41CV, HP 50G, HP11C, TI 89
Stéphane Th

Post by Stéphane Th »

So, finally had some time to draw this modules port expander:

https://lightpics.net/i/2TZd

Other pictures coming soon
Stéphane Th

Post by Stéphane Th »

Ah! I found how to do(choose direct link as a reminder for me)
So, here it is, I made it quickly, so it is not true colors and no labels at all, just added the golden key at the end.
I have used different colors for calculator, port expander module slots and fixation clips for a better view

Finally, we get a long calculator (and you wil need another pouch) ! and I don't know if there is space enought for the inner PCB...

I come back with another suggestion
Stéphane Th

Post by Stéphane Th »

and my last point, more realistic, should be to have the choice to display the running window either on top (as it is) or on bottom of the display.
A quick paint arrangement to illustrate my thinkings with a running display :
It is easier to read and looks like the original display without having to look on top

It could be choosen from
Setup -> 6.Stack Layout -> 7.(_) Top run window that you can select or not

Should be very good to have it in a next firmware release !
Walter

Post by Walter »

Some very nice ideas, Stéphane!
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041
dlachieze

Post by dlachieze »

Stéphane Th wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:20 pm
So, finally had some time to draw this modules port expander:
What kind of modules are you considering ? What would be the hardware interface to the DM42? How would they be supported in the DM42 software?
DM42: 00425 - DM41X: β00066 - WP43: 00042
Stéphane Th

Post by Stéphane Th »

and this is THE question that I was asking myself

So, what do we have on 41 side, except the calculator :) ?
-Standard modules : most of them -except exotic ones- are already implemented (Math/Stat, 41 advantage...) or can be programmed or downloaded
-Time module is partly implemented (missing alarm/stopwatch functions only)
-Extended functions are mostly implemented also, and for the extended memory, it is already there !
-Furthermore, specific modules require an overlay that doesn't match phisically and 42 uses the custom menu
-Bar code reader is a battery sucker so certainly not suitable with CR cell voltage (or not for a long time)
-Same thing for card reader + reserved for small programs + not physically compatible

So, what's left ? and this was my idea -and also I can answer your question- : the I/O part and especially hpil module to "talk" to a voltmeter/cassette drive or printer (not IR). Retro-compatibility
Would need to implement extra functions effectively that hpil module integrates.
Vitasam

Post by Vitasam »

Something like this could be interesting:
https://cma-science.nl/resources/en/interfaces/003.pdf

Data logger, measurement lab, simple robots...