.raw files for all / most / any HP 41 rom images?

Discussion around the SwissMicros DM42 calculator
hpgene

.raw files for all / most / any HP 41 rom images?

Post by hpgene »

I note in the software library a thread on the navigation rom programs as .raw files.

For the HP produced rom images containing user HP 41 code, is there a repository of the programs there in .raw format? I realize many of those programs are not the best perhaps, but some might prove useful to load to the DM 42.

?
Thomas Okken

Re: .raw files for all / most / any HP 41 rom images?

Post by Thomas Okken »

hpgene wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:13 pm
I note in the software library a thread on the navigation rom programs as .raw files.

For the HP produced rom images containing user HP 41 code, is there a repository of the programs there in .raw format? I realize many of those programs are not the best perhaps, but some might prove useful to load to the DM 42.

?
I'm not aware of such a repository. However, at one point I downloaded all the ROM images from hp41.org and ran them through rom2raw, a converter that takes HP-41 ROM images and extracts the user code. Most of the ROMs, especially the ones by HP, were mostly or entirely user-code, so the raw files should be usable.

I'm not comfortable with hosting the ROM images or converted raw files myself, unless someone can demonstrate that HP has released those images to the public domain, or under some other license that allows redistribution. I understand there is a kind of uneasy truce between HP and hp41.org about the copyrighted material hosted there, which probably would not extend to thomasokken.com.

(N.B. You can find the aforementioned rom2raw program on my web site.)
hpgene

Post by hpgene »

As to the release of the rom code by HP, I suspect it falls under the same class as the rom for the 11c, 12c, etc.

Monte also hosts all the HP made roms and the only people inside HP who know they still make calculators has been aware of it for some time.

I think the .raw files of those roms will be a good addition to the Free42 / DM42 world. Will find someone to host them.

Thanks Thomas!
Gnimelf

Post by Gnimelf »

I would like to convert some of the HP-41 MOD's for use with my DM-42.

I export the MOD file from the iOS emulator i41CX+

I then use Windows to open this MOD file with the rom2raw.exe application. It seems to work fine but where does it put the raw files? I realize this is a simpleton question but I am at a loss.

thx Bill
Cheers - Bill Fleming
Thomas Okken

Post by Thomas Okken »

The output files are written to the current directory, with names based on the image names found in the ROMs themselves. Or you can specify the output file name using the -o option.

(Run rom2raw -h to see more information.)
Gnimelf

Post by Gnimelf »

Thx Thomas for the guidance. The MOD that I am converting is the Structural Analysis Pac MOD. It is an X-ROM which may complicate things. Anyway below is the report I got back. The converted file does run. Anyway, if you can provide some insight great but don't spend any time on it. Clearly if I really want to run some of the move complex MOD's on a real calculator rather than i41CX+ I should just what my heart wants and get a DM41X :) Thx again.

C:\Users\fleming\Rom2Raw>rom2raw.exe structural.mod
Input file: structural.mod
Output file: STRCTA_1B.raw
ROM Name: STRCTA 1B
ROM Size: 8192 (0x2000), 2 pages
--- Page 0 ---
ROM Number: 7
28 functions (XROM 07,00 - 07,27)
XROM 07,00: dummy entry STRCTA 1B
XROM 07,01: user code "SECTION"
XROM 07,02: user code "SIMPLE"
XROM 07,03: user code "CANT"
XROM 07,04: user code "FIXED"
XROM 07,05: user code "PROPPED"
XROM 07,06: user code "SPAN"
XROM 07,07: user code "NSPAN"
XROM 07,08: user code "FIXL"
XROM 07,09: user code "FIXR"
XROM 07,10: user code "MOMENTS"
XROM 07,11: user code "SETTLE"
XROM 07,12: user code "CFRAME"
XROM 07,13: user code "VECTOR"
XROM 07,14: user code "SIZE?"
XROM 07,15: user code "SZ?"
XROM 07,16: user code "ATANY/X"
XROM 07,17: user code "BEAM"
XROM 07,18: user code "*B"
XROM 07,19: user code "*AI"
XROM 07,20: user code "*L1"
XROM 07,21: user code "*P1"
XROM 07,22: user code "*M1"
XROM 07,23: user code "*W1"
XROM 07,24: user code "*P"
XROM 07,25: user code "*M"
XROM 07,26: user code "*L"
XROM 07,27: user code "*W"
--- Page 1 ---
ROM Number: 19
8 functions (XROM 19,00 - 19,07)
XROM 19,00: dummy entry STRCTB 1A
XROM 19,01: user code "COLE"
XROM 19,02: user code "COLSI"
XROM 19,03: user code "TBEAM"
XROM 19,04: user code "RBEAM"
XROM 19,05: user code "CONCOL"
XROM 19,06: user code "ITCON"
XROM 19,07: user code "IRCON"

The following non-local XROMs were called from user code:
XROM 29,15
Because of these XROM calls, the converted user code may not work.
Cheers - Bill Fleming
Thomas Okken

Post by Thomas Okken »

XROM 29,15 is the HP-82143A Printer's PRPLOTP function, used for plotting graphs under program control. So whatever function in the converted ROM is supposed to print a graph won't work, but everything else should be fine.

As long as there are no warnings about machine code or synthetic code in the output from rom2raw, the converted code will usually be OK in Free42 or the DM42.
Gnimelf

Post by Gnimelf »

Yeah, make sense about the printer calls. I'm a reasonable HP-41 programmer but from my skill set this is an advanced MOD. It doesn't run from a straight forward perspective. But that said I have found several raw files that are structural engineering files but each program does a part of what is in the MOD. I am going to work thru a few of those before I tackle the workings of the MOD.

thx again for the help and insight - Bill
Cheers - Bill Fleming