Useful Content for the "Ultimative OFFIMG"

Library of images to use as OFFIMG screens on the DM41X and DM42
Forum rules
Do you have a creative streak? Post your OFFIMG photos here.

Images MUST be in Windows-NT .bmp format at a resolution of 400x240 pixels and 1-bit colour depth or they will not be displayed by the DM42. Images that do not meet this requirement will be removed from the forum :)
deetee

Re: Useful Content for the "Ultimative OFFIMG"

Post by deetee »

rprosperi wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:49 am
I use this Off-Screen image on all my DM42 machines, and will update them this weekend.
Hello Bob!

Thanks for using my image. This makes me very proud - as you are one of the most famous HP-Gurus .

So far I tried to see, how much room is on the DM42 screen for a periodic table?

As far as I see there is place for the periodic sytem without Lanthanides and Actinides. And if you want to display atomic number, symbol and atomic mass - it is really a challenge for (everyones) eyes. But it seems to be possible:
bob-a.bmp
bob-a.bmp (12.25 KiB) Viewed 5843 times
Is it worth to do the complete drawing/typing work? What do you mean? Is there really a big demand for such a table (I'm not a phycicist/chemist)?

Regards
deetee
rprosperi

Post by rprosperi »

That's kind of you deetee, but I'm not a guru of any kind, I simply have loved HP machines since the 70's, still collect and use them, and am louder than most folks.

No, it is not worth it to create the full view, your sample image above shows that it is more technically possible than it would be useful, but many thanks for creating that and your kind offer to do more.

In fact I have no real 'need' for frequent access to a Periodic Table, and if I did I'm certain my Android phone could instantly pull one up in full color, with far more information than I could ever use.

The reason I commented is I have had a small plastic pocket circular slide rule since about 1969(?); the disk is mounted on a rectangular base that has a Periodic Table engraved/printed on the back side, and I have always thought it would be cool to have the table in a pocket device such as a calculator. Of course you've probably seen there is a very impressive PT app for the HP Prime.

These awesome vintage devices are very cool, just search on eBay for them under the name "Sama & Etani". They also have a thin plastic card inserted listing other scientific/engineering data such as unit conversions, physical constants, etc. The back usually has the normal periodic table, but some have a simpler list of elements, not sure why. These great little tools were used as advertising/promotional trinkets in the 60's, so you'll find them with hundreds of companies names/logos printed, in various colors, etc. Check them out!
Last edited by rprosperi on Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--bob p

DM42: β00071 & 00282, DM41X: β00071 & 00656, DM10L: 071/100
Walter

Post by Walter »

The backside of the DM42 is empty still ... if you need it you can attach a periodic table there taking a bigger sheet of adhesive film.
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041
deetee

Post by deetee »

I had some spare time this weekend and "drew" this - really a challenge for my eyes (even with glasses):

pt.bmp
pt.bmp (12.25 KiB) Viewed 5763 times
I draw this with MS-Paint using 256 Colors (using black and white only) which ends in a file size of 95k - which is not supported by the DM42.
Saving as monochrome bitmap (1-bit-depth, 13k) seems to have some losses. In addition changing the color of some pixels is not possible.

Can anyone tell me how to do it like expected (1-bit, 13k, no losses, altering color of any pixel)?

Regards
deetee
rprosperi

Post by rprosperi »

Wow, a very impressive undertaking and result!! Thank you for your notable efforts!

I've never found a way to reduce the color bit depth without loss, as far as I know you must start with the 1-bit color depth (b&w). However since you certainly don't want to do that again (!!) you might try to create a new file of the proper dimensions and depth and see if copy/paste preserves the original image. I tend to doubt if the solution is really that easy, but it is easily worth an attempt.

Good luck and thank you again. And another wow!
--bob p

toml_12953

Post by toml_12953 »

deetee wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:23 pm
I had some spare time this weekend and "drew" this - really a challenge for my eyes (even with glasses):

pt.bmp

I draw this with MS-Paint using 256 Colors (using black and white only) which ends in a file size of 95k - which is not supported by the DM42.
Saving as monochrome bitmap (1-bit-depth, 13k) seems to have some losses. In addition changing the color of some pixels is not possible.

Can anyone tell me how to do it like expected (1-bit, 13k, no losses, altering color of any pixel)?

Regards
deetee
Try setting 1-bit depth BEFORE you draw. Make a blank 1-bit rectangle of the correct size then draw on that.

Tom L
Tom L

Some people call me inept but I'm as ept as anybody!
DM10L SN: 059/100
DM41X SN: 00023 (Beta)
DM41X SN: 00506 (Shipping)
DM42 SN: 00025 (Beta)
DM42 SN: 00221 (Shipping)
WP43 SN: 00025 (Prototype)
Walter

Post by Walter »

Alas, I've to confirm what Bob and Tom said. When you're at it, please correct the electron mass by a factor of 10^4.
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041
akaTB

Post by akaTB »

This works, but... oh my poor eyes! :shock:

Thanks anyway!
pt.bmp
pt.bmp (12.25 KiB) Viewed 5730 times
Greetings,
    Massimo
ajcaton
-+×÷ left is right and right is wrong :twisted: Casted in gold
rprosperi

Post by rprosperi »

akaTB wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:02 pm
This works, but... oh my poor eyes! :shock:
Thanks Massimo! I can barely read this on my PC screen, it will be a chuckle to try reading it on my DM42, but I'll give it a go...

What's the secret on how you were able to convert it? Was it as simple as copy/paste?

Update: Wow, it is brutally small, but it actually is far more readable than I would have guessed. Good enough that I'll keep it on my machine. With the right light, proper tilting and removing my glasses, I can even read the Atomic mass!

You just never know when someone will demand to know the Atomic number of Galium when you don't have your cell phone handy, but your DM42 is within reach! Sure, not huge odds, but it can happen, and just think how happy you would be when it did! :lol:
--bob p

deetee

Post by deetee »

Walter wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:59 pm
When you're at it, please correct the electron mass by a factor of 10^4.
Good eyes. Obviously I wasn't able to type some numbers the right way. I hope there are no typos in the table itself.

I installed GIMP yesterday which was able to convert my 16-bit-graphic to the desired 1-bit-graphic without losses and distortions.
Additional to Massimo (thanks) I made some minor optical corrections (like removing the solid line between Argon and Krypton or the column width of colums 4 and 5).

So this is my latest version - please have a look for correctness and ideas to improve (there is some space left ie for more physical constants regarding the periodic table):
periodic.bmp
periodic.bmp (12.31 KiB) Viewed 5688 times

Regards
deetee