DM41L program load ?

This is the place to discuss the usage of DM1x/DM41 machines and to share any tips & tricks you may have stumbled across.

If discussing a specific model, please ensure that you prefix topic subjects with the model number this way:

[DM41] How to change the number of program steps available
Luke64

DM41L program load ?

Post by Luke64 »

hello I have just received a DM41L (It's fantastic :D ), I have tried to use the encoder to load a program but it always gives me an error wit l command:

Bad model
Read FAILED
DM41 >>
Bye…

I uploaded the listing to https://dm41.swissmicros.com, then converted with "Encode to dump" and then copied to the terminal interface.
Even loading the calculator dump gives me the same error ....
Where am I wrong?
Luke64

Re: DM41L program load ?

Post by Luke64 »

SOLVED: the problem was in the serial terminal app I was using with OS X, I used the terminal and everything works fine.
grsbanks

Post by grsbanks »

Thanks for reporting back.

I was rather stumped by this problem but now that you mention you're using a Mac, it makes sense. My guess is that there was something wrong with the line endings being sent by the terminal emulator. The DM41 expects linefeed characters at the end of a line, or possibly carriage return + linefeed. I believe a Mac sends a carriage return on its own as its end-of-line character.
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.
Jilbertzh

Re: Charge de programme DM41L?

Post by Jilbertzh »

Hello everyone, someone could explain to me the procedure to be able to download a program to my DM41L calculator in plain language please. There is some way on the forum but too complicated. Thank you. Jilberth
Gnimelf

Post by Gnimelf »

Hi

Just received my first SM calc. - a DM41L - I have a real HP41 and use i41CX+ on my iOS devices.

Anyway having some trouble loading a program.

1) Using a Mac and Terminal App
2) Can get connected
3) Trying to load a simple program
4) Using the DM41 program loading tool
5) When I paste the info into Terminal it seems to take it but as soon as I end the session by touching a key on the DM41L - I get a memory lost error and there is no transferred program?

BTW - when pasting to the DM41 - do you paste the "decoded" info or the text based program listing from the programming tool? same result either way.

thx Bill
Cheers - Bill Fleming
grsbanks

Post by grsbanks »

If you're using a Mac, make sure your terminal emulator is using the linefeed character \n = 0x0a as the EOL, not the usual Mac carriage return \r = 0x0d or the Windows CRLF \r\n.

It's the memory dump that you need to paste into the terminal, i.e. the hex data that starts with the line "DM41".
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.
Gnimelf

Post by Gnimelf »

Ha, this really can’t be this hard.

Mac OS X and newer has the correct line feed.

What occurred to me is that I have been assuming that I was converting a .RAW file and then pasting that into DM41. But actually maybe what I am really wanting to do is:
1) Take a dump from the DM41
2) Paste it above the converted .RAW file
3) Reconnect to DM41, use “l” command
4) Paste the combined DM41 dump and .RAW back into DM41

Seems crazy but also makes sense in a crude way?
Cheers - Bill Fleming
grsbanks

Post by grsbanks »

The "dump" is the entire memory of the DM41L formatted in a way that can be saved or copy/pasted easily. If you want to add a program to those that are already in the memory of the calculator, then you paste the dump into the web form, decode it to obtain a program listing, add your program listing to those already present, re-encode the program listing (now including your program) and then copy/paste the resulting dump into the terminal window after issuing the "l" command to the calculator to have it expect a new memory dump.

This said, there have been problems with MacOS, but I am not fully aware of what those problems were and how to solve them. Perhaps re-posting a question and making it explicit in the subject that you're using MacOS will help.
Gnimelf

Post by Gnimelf »

Thx for taking the time to explain this. Over the next couple of days I will take the time to work thru this and report back. Thx again!
Cheers - Bill Fleming