DM16 addition of functions/capabilities possible?

This is the place to discuss the usage of DM1x/DM41 machines and to share any tips & tricks you may have stumbled across.

If discussing a specific model, please ensure that you prefix topic subjects with the model number this way:

[DM41] How to change the number of program steps available
rallyrabbit

DM16 addition of functions/capabilities possible?

Post by rallyrabbit »

I just got a DM16, the HP-16C was one of the best devices I have ever used as far as helping with embedded programming. However, there is one feature on the TI-65 Data Analyst calculator that I would love to get into this device. I'm looking at the device SDK code and not seeing exactly a starting point to start coding to replace a button.

Essentially there are two things I would love for this to be a complete machine for me:
  • * Engineering mode for decimal operation - not sure the display can support it yet
    * the TI-65 had this fabulous feature that set the unit into a ToD format where you could enter day, hour, minute, second, ms and add/substract time to it to help in ToD calculations, which is good for calculating out real times in the past or future things would happen
Thoughts on if possible would be great, as well as any pointers as I am happy to try and learn to code for this awesome device. But since I cannot find explicit code, I am worried that this may be emulated on some respects.
grsbanks

Re: DM16 addition of functions/capabilities possible?

Post by grsbanks »

Unfortunately this is not possible.

The DM16(L) is an emulator of the HP Voyager hardware and it is running the ROM of the original HP-16C. What you're asking would mean changing the Hewlett Packard ROM.
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.
rallyrabbit

Post by rallyrabbit »

Could the DM42 be changed to deal with the hardware on the DM16? In other words, re-invent the wheel for the whole thing?
rallyrabbit

Post by rallyrabbit »

Or maybe hijack a key sequence that breaks some functionality out to external functions the reads certain keys vs passing to the ROM emulator?
Walter

Post by Walter »

Psssst, rallyrabbit, there is a calculator called WP43S which will do what you strive for.

Advantage: You can try it on your PC (or your DM42) although it isn't completed yet. Everything the HP-16C could do, WP43S can do as well - and more. Full documentation is available.

Disadvantage: The time functions are specified but not coded yet.

If you're not aware of it, please look here: viewtopic.php?p=18595#p18595
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041
rallyrabbit

Post by rallyrabbit »

Walter,

This code will run on the DM16L hardware natively? Meaning, there is a build for it, or I need to go customize it for this. Also, do you have the spec for the time functions, I'd love to see that.
rallyrabbit

Post by rallyrabbit »

Walter wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:55 pm
Psssst, rallyrabbit, there is a calculator called WP43S which will do what you strive for.

Advantage: You can try it on your PC (or your DM42) although it isn't completed yet. Everything the HP-16C could do, WP43S can do as well - and more. Full documentation is available.

Disadvantage: The time functions are specified but not coded yet.

If you're not aware of it, please look here: viewtopic.php?p=18595#p18595
Well, I am happy I got my DM16L, for sure.

So thanks for this, the WP43 lead me to the WP34, believe it or not I have one of these 30B models laying around and I fabricated a cable tonight. I read a large part of that manual, mainly focusing on the mods, loading, etc. Where can I find the source since it is under the GPL. I'd love to take a stab at modding this and making it be exactly the custom caclulator I want.
Walter

Post by Walter »

Some answers:
  1. The WP43S code will run on DM42 hardware. The DM16L is a different cup of tea.
  2. You find the manuals for the WP43S here: https://gitlab.com/Over_score/wp43s/-/t ... umentation. The Owner's Manual contains in Section 2 a chapter "Times".
  3. Everything about the WP34S is in the manual you have - at least I hope so. Appendix A in particular explains how to create a WP34S out of a HP-30B.
Hope this helps. If you run into trouble or have question, please don't hesitate asking.
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041
rallyrabbit

Post by rallyrabbit »

Walter wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:17 am
Some answers:
  1. The WP43S code will run on DM42 hardware. The DM16L is a different cup of tea.
  2. You find the manuals for the WP43S here: https://gitlab.com/Over_score/wp43s/-/t ... umentation. The Owner's Manual contains in Section 2 a chapter "Times".
  3. Everything about the WP34S is in the manual you have - at least I hope so. Appendix A in particular explains how to create a WP34S out of a HP-30B.
Hope this helps. If you run into trouble or have question, please don't hesitate asking.
Walter, Thanks I do get that. There are mountains of information there. I guess my question is where is the source code and how do I get a copy to play with? The SVN links in the document are all dead, the code link in the sourceforge project does work but the directory structure looks incomplete. Creating a snapshot does work, but its not clear if the trunk or a tag should be used to checkout...