Best IOS app to use together with DM41L?

This is the place to discuss the usage of DM1x/DM41 machines and to share any tips & tricks you may have stumbled across.

If discussing a specific model, please ensure that you prefix topic subjects with the model number this way:

[DM41] How to change the number of program steps available
jthole

Best IOS app to use together with DM41L?

Post by jthole »

I just ordered a DM41L, and have not received it yet ... however, I am already thinking about synchronising with my iPhone :)

What would be the best (affordable) iPhone app for sharing programs with the DM41L? I think an obvious candidate would be Free42, since I believe that the raw files created from a DM41L dump (with the online tool) are fully compatible. Am I correct? To be clear, I am only looking for a one way synchronisation; I understand that I cannot load all Free42 programs in the DM41L.

Are there any IOS apps which have a keyboard that's closer to the HP 41CX, and are compatible with the DM41L? Or is Free42 the best bet?

Thanks!
DM42 s/n 06181 DM41X s/n \(\beta\)0005 (sold)
jthole

Re: Best IOS app to use together with DM41L?

Post by jthole »

I’ll answer it myself; I41CX+ is very good (actually overkill) and has a very good import/export function.
DM42 s/n 06181 DM41X s/n \(\beta\)0005 (sold)
dfsantos

Post by dfsantos »

thanks you
I'm in the same situation of jthole
I go to buy the i41cx (not i41cx+)

I will try and I tell you

Dani
Kf6gpe

Post by Kf6gpe »

Another fan of i41CX+. As much as I like Free42, it's my go-to on my iPad. (Free42 occupies first place on my Android phone and PC, though!)

The printer emulation is pretty slick, and it works well to capture results to send in email or save off to OneNote.
Thomas Okken

Post by Thomas Okken »

Kf6gpe wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:07 am
The printer emulation [in i41CX+] is pretty slick, and it works well to capture results to send in email or save off to OneNote.
Free42 2.5.2 and later, for iOS and Android, let you share the print-out as well – that feature was inspired by the print-out sharing in i41CX+.
jonmoore

Post by jonmoore »

Free42 and i41CX+ would be my picks too but for different rationale.

Outside of the greatness of Free42's emulation of the 42s, it benefits from 34 digits of precision under the hood.

However, as a DM41L user (and maybe a future DM41x user!), there's more to learn from i41CX+. It's a fantastic playground for exploring the multitude of ROM's that are still being actively developed by talented folk such as Ángel Martin. I'm personally a massive fan of Ángel's 'Sand' suite of modules (SandMath, SandMatrix and 41Z), as he's taken the best of 40 years of community and HP developed algorithms and built new bespoke ROM's that in many cases utilise MCode and 13 digits of internal precision (which makes the algorithms a match for modern scientific calculator hardware - of course not including the DM42!). Plus, as was previously mentioned the virtual printer is an essential aspect of the UX. The example below shows how the virtual printer provides essential visual feedback when the calculator LCD display truncates the full value of complex numbers. And as you can see, there's a decent supply of overlays to help navigate the bespoke operations of each particular ROM (and you can easily create your own to add to the supplied library of PNG's).

Kf6gpe

Post by Kf6gpe »

Thomas Okken wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:31 pm
Kf6gpe wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:07 am
The printer emulation [in i41CX+] is pretty slick, and it works well to capture results to send in email or save off to OneNote.
Free42 2.5.2 and later, for iOS and Android, let you share the print-out as well – that feature was inspired by the print-out sharing in i41CX+.
Oh, cool!! I hadn't realized that. Thanks, Thomas!!

(I'm a happy Free42 user on my Android phone. :) )